Bersa .380 over a slim 9mm?

This is a discussion on Bersa .380 over a slim 9mm? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Of all the guns i've been considering, the Bersa Thunder .380 is always taunting me. Right now it's between the Bersa and a Taurus 85. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Bersa .380 over a slim 9mm?

Of all the guns i've been considering, the Bersa Thunder .380 is always taunting me.

Right now it's between the Bersa and a Taurus 85.

But, I looked at the measurements of the Thunder and it's not always slimmer. With the widest part being measure at 1.2 inches. I've read countless experiences of it being an accurate gun that never fails to go bang. The price tag helps as well. Is it really worth having over something like the CW9?

Had a PF-9. Hated the recoil and follow up.

I think the Bersa .380 really has a history of being under-rated, although they seem to be getting more recognition now. They really are easy to carry, I carry mine in a bare asset holster from High Noon. A .380 isn't ideal for SD, but will get the job done if the shooter does their part. One of the biggest advantages of the Bersa is the price, as they are inexpensive, but not cheap.

Between it and the CW9 there are a lot of differences that will be influenced my personal preference. The Thunder has a manual safety, the CW9 does. The Thunder is all metal, the CW9 polymer. Bersa is a DA/SA, CW9 striker fired DAO.

I don't know about the CW9, but the Bersa is a bit big and heavy for pocket carry, although great for belt carry. Try finding a way to shoot both, as the Thunder does have a bit of recoil to it.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

The Bersa Thunder 380 is very reliable and an absolute pleasure to shoot. You have to decide if the little extra weight and size as compared to some of the other options available are worth the trade off in ease of handling and shootability.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Go with Khar 9mm. One poster said this " A .380 isn't ideal for SD, but will get the job done if the shooter does their part. One of the biggest advantages of the Bersa is the price, as they are inexpensive, but not cheap."

If in doubt at all, 9mm and up. Get what feels best in your hand and what you can shoot. If that means a few more dollars, then so be it. It is meant to save your life.
    357and40 and gottabkiddin like this.

I have heard a lot of good about the cw9 / almost bought one , opted for a taurus slim pt-740 / in 40 csl, which is same gun as the pt709/ which is 9mm, after handling and shooting both, glad I did so far, although I do not carry it a lot, it will get a lot more carry when the summer months get here, I have shot it around 400 rounds without a hiccup no matter what ammo i throw in it. very light, and as the name implies, slim. It is a poly gun with a manual safety. I think I would try to shoot a few and go from there, but personally if I were looking at size, would go for a larger caliber, if I was getting anything larger in size.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Being proficient with your carry gun is at least as important as the caliber. Having said that; it is hard to think that you would not be as proficient with another similar sized pistol.

Is it really worth having over something like the CW9?
    What you gain in the Kahr is a slimmer profile, but does that matter enough?
    You gain a cheaper practice ammo.
    You gain a more powerful round, (if that matters to you).
    You lose the cost of the gun, (which would buy alot of .380 ammo).

Finding one's ideal CCW is often a trade off of various features or traits, and there may be several models that qualify. IMHO, finding one you are really comfortable with, shoot well, and is reliable is 99% of the task.
    Last edited by ripley16; January 9th, 2012 at 10:31 PM.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    My daughter carries a bersa thunder 380 and it work well . the 380 should at the bottom of a cc list but better than rocks. She just does like like the recoil of a 38 or 9mm from a heavier pistol.

Now I carried a pf-9 for 2 1/2 years. not a fun pistol to shot but works well. What I did was put a 3/4" piece of innertube and 1 3/4" covering it for a bit of grip control. Never though about anything to replace it till I was offered a cw9 at a low enough price I could take a chance on it. Tghis was a problem pistol for the first owner. For me after cleaning and lubeing it ran great. Easier to shot but also 4oz heavier. I liked it so much I bought a cm9 for pocket carry and would never go back to the pf-9 now. The kahrs are easier to control, faster with follow up shots and are just as relieable. I also carry 124gr+p loads only . something i did not do with the pf-9. I buddy also use's a taurus pt slim in 9MM and like it but it is heavier. Most defence pistol well or should be shoot well to be sure its problem free and durable but after that may be shoot enough just to stay in tune with it. There is no doubt a 13oz 9mm recoils harder than 20oz 40sw. Just something you have to figure out. kahr does seem to control recoil better than some heavier pistols do.

I did carry a taurus model 85SS for 20 years. Very smooth revolver and still looks very nice today but today you can carry many handguns in the same weight class as the model 85. Thats 21oz of steel. And they still have a snappy recoil with 125gr +P loads.

Bersa's are known to be good guns. I did own one, but several things made me get rid of it. Don't compare the PF-9 to all thin 9mm guns. The Kahr line of guns shoot softer than the Bersa Thunder .380. The Bersa is a snappy little gun. It stung the web of my hand, and my wife's. I have two Kahrs a CW9 and a PM9. Both shoot better than the Bersa. You might also consider the Ruger LC9.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

pass on the Bersa .380 and take at look at their new 9mm single stack that is about the same size as the .380.

BugDude likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

VIP Member
    The Bersa is a nice inexpensive handgun with lots of features. It has the single/ double action, and decocker / safety. Mine shoots ok. Not great but is is very easy to deep conseal and breaks down very easy for cleaning. I would recomend it if you are on a buget. Watch for the sales as they really discount them. I have seen them on sale brand new for low 200s. They need to make some better aftermarket grips for it. I agree that it can be a bit "snappy".

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    The Bersa is a nice inexpensive handgun with lots of features. It has the single/ double action, and decocker / safety. Mine shoots ok. Not great but is is very easy to deep conseal and breaks down very easy for cleaning. I would recomend it if you are on a buget. Watch for the sales as they really discount them. I have seen them on sale brand new for low 200s. They need to make some better aftermarket grips for it. I agree that it can be a bit "snappy".

The Hornady Critical Defense rounds put the .380 on par with the 9mm. If you doubt that, have your buddy shoot you with a 9mm and then a .380 Defense round and let me know which one hurt the worse. :)
    I bought my wife a Bersa .380 Thunder Concealed Carry model for Christmas and she loves it. Thin, easy to conceal, lots of holster choices and she can SHOOT it without fearing the recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by SKR8PN View Post
    The Hornady Critical Defense rounds put the .380 on par with the 9mm. If you doubt that, have your buddy shoot you with a 9mm and then a .380 Defense round and let me know which one hurt the worse. :)
    I bought my wife a Bersa .380 Thunder Concealed Carry model for Christmas and she loves it. Thin, easy to conceal, lots of holster choices and she can SHOOT it without fearing the recoil.
    I wish folks would stop using that stupid arguement. Just tell him your in love with the .380 and leave it at that. Jeez....I don't have to try to prove my 9mm is good over a .40 or my .40 is better than a .45 with stupid sayings. Why don't you ask him to have a buddy shoot him with a .22 and a .380 and see which one hurts. So, therefore a .22 is good. How about .17HMR...
    My personal feeling is that folks that like the .330 are trying to justify the cost of ammo LOL

Just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by Sevrenth View Post
    Of all the guns i've been considering, the Bersa Thunder .380 is always taunting me.

Right now it's between the Bersa and a Taurus 85.

But, I looked at the measurements of the Thunder and it's not always slimmer. With the widest part being measure at 1.2 inches. I've read countless experiences of it being an accurate gun that never fails to go bang. The price tag helps as well. Is it really worth having over something like the CW9?

Had a PF-9. Hated the recoil and follow up.
    I carry a CW9 and I can tell you it is 3 times the gun that the Bersa is. I've shot the Bersa, the CW9 if far and away a better gun. The CW9 carries easily, is a great shooter and mine functions perfectly.

As for the new Bersa 9mm, the BR9cc. Check on Bud's page. there's $10 difference between them and I am certain that the Kahr is a better made gun.

Just my opinion but, I know what I'd do.
    Last edited by TN_Mike; January 9th, 2012 at 03:42 PM.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by SKR8PN View Post
    The Hornady Critical Defense rounds put the .380 on par with the 9mm.
    not even close......BTW, the Corbon 90gr JHP's outperform the Critical Defense round and has been doing so for years. If I carried a .380 for self defense, that would be the round I'd carry.
    But since no .380 comes close to a 9mm.....I don't carry one.
    suntzu and TN_Mike like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

VIP Member
    We are lucky that there are so many choices for us. Poor saps up in Canada don't get a choice.
    Some gun stores have rental guns and indoor ranges. Go try several out. I would still consider the Bersa an entry level. It is good for the price.
    JerryMac likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links