Opinions wanted: Sig 229 vs Glock 19

This is a discussion on Opinions wanted: Sig 229 vs Glock 19 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'd take the 229 over a G 19 any day of the week ........... but I'd go with a M&P 9 over both....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Opinions wanted: Sig 229 vs Glock 19

sgb
    I'd take the 229 over a G 19 any day of the week ........... but I'd go with a M&P 9 over both.
    Spec and redbirddog5 like this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

2. Remove Ads

I do have both and would buy the Glock 19. It can be concealled and is much lighter to carry. The Glock I wouldn't worry about dinging it or abusing it. The Sig is more expensive and a bit heavier. I do shoot the Sig more accurately but its hard to beat all the positives of the Glock 19.
    K9, Colt 3 5 7
    Colt Python 6",4", 2.5"
    Sig P225
    Sig P239 SAS/DAK
    Colt Diamondback
    Colt Trooper .357

I own a Kimber Ultra Carry II and a Glock 22.
    Speak the truth but leave immediately after.

Brasidas caught a mouse among some figs, and, when he got bitten, let it go. To those who were present, he said, "There is nothing so small that it does not save its life if it has the courage to defend itself against those who would lay hand on it."

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    I have owned both for over 10 years.

I CCW the 19, keep the SIG in the safe for the range.

LESS FILLING!!!

TASTES GREAT!!!!

Not sure if you are old enough to decipher the above...

SIG guy all the way. But I can say nothing against Glocks. Nothing other than my opinion, which is worthless since this will be your gun. They both are awesome platforms, just different means to the same end. If you like the way the SIG feels but like the weight and the price of the Glock, I have to agree with what sgb said: take a good look at an M&P. S&W managed to offset their previously unsteady record with poly autos. Not only did they offset it, they made one whale of a handgun. I surely like mine.
    Spec and redbirddog5 like this.

I have owned glocks for a long time and always have 4-5 in the safe. CCW/HD/IDPA/RANGE........... I like them.

I bought a M&P 9 a little while ago and it is fantastic. 100% reliable, feels/shoots great and is very accurate (more than a lot of glocks I have owned). I will say that the trigger is not that good, but their are options to remedy this.

I am picking up the 9c next.

OP, you can't go wrong SIG/Glock or something else, lots of outstanding firearms to own.

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    LESS FILLING!!!

TASTES GREAT!!!!

Not sure if you are old enough to decipher the above...

SIG guy all the way. But I can say nothing against Glocks. Nothing other than my opinion, which is worthless since this will be your gun. They both are awesome platforms, just different means to the same end. If you like the way the SIG feels but like the weight and the price of the Glock, I have to agree with what sgb said: take a good look at an M&P. S&W managed to offset their previously unsteady record with poly autos. Not only did they offset it, they made one whale of a handgun. I surely like mine.

I don't own either. However, I prefer buying guns that hold value such as the Sig. Glocks are good, reliable, but if you trade them your loosing $$$$. I have been exploring in the .40 caliber G27 vs. Sig 239... Cost is a difference I I'm leaning towards the Sig.... Thats just my .02 cents. Many will oppose but its really up to you.
    .XX likes this.
    "A free man is he who does not fear to go to the end of his thought."

My experience has been just the opposite.

Used SIGS are marked down more than Glocks when comparing New to Used prices. $750 Sig for $500, $500 glock for $400 etc.....

Every time I think about selling my P229, I look at used prices compared to what I payed and back in the safe it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by medmunds21 View Post
    I don't own either. However, I prefer buying guns that hold value such as the Sig. Glocks are good, reliable, but if you trade them your loosing $$$$. I have been exploring in the .40 caliber G27 vs. Sig 239... Cost is a difference I I'm leaning towards the Sig.... Thats just my .02 cents. Many will oppose but its really up to you.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by got2hav1 View Post
    I do have both and would buy the Glock 19. It can be concealled and is much lighter to carry. The Glock I wouldn't worry about dinging it or abusing it. The Sig is more expensive and a bit heavier. I do shoot the Sig more accurately but its hard to beat all the positives of the Glock 19.
    Yeah that whole accuracy thing is over rated...

Sig 229 (9mm) owner here. This was my first semi-auto and I've owned it about 10 months. I was looking for reliability first and asthetics second. I may regret having a heavy firearm when my permit arrives and I start to carry, but time will tell. Either gun will be a great aquisition for you. See them both in person and pick the one that speaks to you.

I have a G19 and a 226 in 40/357Sig. I shoot both well, but the G19 gets more carry time because of the weight. If this is for carry, you know the trigger on the Glock so you will not have to learn something new. I love my Sig, but the simplicity and weight of the Glock win out for me.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I carry a Sig P229 almost daily and have owned two other P229's over the years. It's one of my favorite firearms, excellent ergonomics, dead nuts reliable, sexy as can be, accurate beyond need. Yes it's thicker and heavier than some other pistols, but it has something special as well. I've owned Glocks in several different models, (22, 19, 29) and they work, but also lack the appeal of the Sig.
    sigmanluke, .XX and redbirddog5 like this.

I dont like Glocks, I would go with Sig P229. Great trigger and very accurate. I carry now days HK P2000 9mm or HK P2000 SK 9m with extended grip.
    The same holster for these two guns and 13 rounds mags.
    The trigger still goes to Sig. Pick whats fits your hand and point naturally for you. Be comfortable.
    Vodek

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SmallFoxes View Post
    I own a Kimber Ultra Carry II and a Glock 22.
    I would consider a Glock 23 then rather than the Glock 19. You can share magazines and parts with your 22. But if it has to be a 9mm then get the Glock 19. The Sig is nice but it is heavy. Both will do you right.

VIP Member
    Of the 2 mentioned, I'd personally go with the SIG. Another option to look at is the CZ75 P-01.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links