Opinions wanted: Sig 229 vs Glock 19

This is a discussion on Opinions wanted: Sig 229 vs Glock 19 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've got a little money now and I'm looking into a new gun. I need it to be a compact (both fun to shoot and ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Opinions wanted: Sig 229 vs Glock 19

I've got a little money now and I'm looking into a new gun. I need it to be a compact (both fun to shoot and somewhat concealable), 9mm, and under $800. So far I'm comparing the Sig 229 to a Glock 19. Thoughts on these guns, as well as other guns, would be very helpful!

Thanks!
    Speak the truth but leave immediately after.

Brasidas caught a mouse among some figs, and, when he got bitten, let it go. To those who were present, he said, "There is nothing so small that it does not save its life if it has the courage to defend itself against those who would lay hand on it."

VIP Member
    Can't go wrong either way. I can't suggest anything because I don't know what you all ready own.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

VIP Member
    For a general purpose, good for almost any task, handgun, you can't really beat the G19.

But, both are excellent firearms. Without more criteria, all you are going to get is general opinions.

Good luck with your decision.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

im a SIG guy, but i carry a Glock 19, its fits both purposes. With 800 u can buy a 19 for 500 and leave the extra $$ for ammo
    Nem and 5lima30ret like this.
    Proudly living in the free state of Florida

G19-Arguably the best and most popular handgun in the world today. For only $500. Whats not to like?
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Two thoughts

1. Does one fit your hand better than other?

2. Which trigger system do you prefer?

Both good guns, but different...

I've owned both the Glock 19 and the Sig P229 for about 10 years. I think they are both excellent guns, but they have different strengths and weaknesses. You mentioned "compact" and "concealable" in your posting as key factors you are seeking in this purchase. That pretty well tilts your choice towards the Glock 19. The G19 is about 10 ounces lighter than the Sig, and is thinner in width and slightly shorter in the grip. I find the Glock much easier to conceal and more comfortable for all day wear.
    atctimmy, Bark'n and Sarge45 like this.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I love my Sig 229 and do not like Glocks. The Sig is way heavier & thicker, so that may be the deal breaker. You may want to look at a S&W M&P. That would be a much closer comparison to a G19.
    Porp, sgb and redbirddog5 like this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Good advice so far. Both are great and very reliable weapons. My neighbor has the 229 and I have the 19 and let me tell you, the Sig is HEAVY, but that means less recoil. Think of the Sig as a Cadillac, very smooth and comfy. The Glock would be closer to a Honda, reliable and takes one hell of a beating. However, none
    of this matters if the gun doesn't fit YOUR hand. Bottom line, get out there and shoot 'em both.
    txron, redbirddog5 and 5lima30ret like this.
    Less Employment = More Occupation

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    M&P9 Compact... then get this with a full size mag:XGRIP : Sub-Compact Handgun Magazine Adapters : Product List

You now have 2 guns for the price of one.. Concealable 9mm or full size for heavy days or home defense.
    shjourdan, Porp and redbirddog5 like this.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

VIP Member
    They are both great guns. The best way to decide is to go to the gun shop, fondle them both and then decide. Only you can judge based on the feel.

For me I chose the G19. IMO from a price value standpoint the is nothing better than the G19.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

VIP Member
    I have and LOVE the 229, Glocks don't fit my hands, and IMO the Glock trigger sucks. Have you fired both/either? Which feels better? Which do you shoot better?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Capitain_R View Post
    Good advice so far. Both are great and very reliable weapons. My neighbor has the 229 and I have the 19 and let me tell you, the Sig is HEAVY, but that means less recoil. Think of the Sig as a Cadillac, very smooth and comfy. The Glock would be closer to a Honda, reliable and takes one hell of a beating. However, none
    of this matters if the gun doesn't fit YOUR hand. Bottom line, get out there and shoot 'em both.
    This continues with concealability, ive never owned a glock but with my Sig, I CAN conceal the sig. Just like you CAN parallel park a cadillac. (I am currently playing with conceal methods). I've never owned a glock so i wont comment on that.
    VonHoffmann likes this.

I have a G19 and 228 (little lighter than 229, but same size). The Sig fits my hand like a glove. But I like the Glock trigger better, it conceals better, is lighter and holds 2 more rounds.

The 228 sits in my safe. The 19 gets a lot of carry and trigger time.
    VonHoffmann and 5lima30ret like this.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

The Glock 19 Gen 4 was my first carry gun. I'm very very happy! No issues, easy to carry, and with 3 mags I feel prepared.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links