What is it

This is a discussion on What is it within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Double action or single action. What is it? Okay I have a wide variety of pistols and revolvers. Correct me if I am wrong. In ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By OPFOR
  • 2 Post By OPFOR

Thread: What is it

What is it

Double action or single action. What is it?
    Okay I have a wide variety of pistols and revolvers.
    Correct me if I am wrong.
    In order for a pistol to be classified as a double action it should be able to fire without the slide cycling.
    Example: Unload your pistol - replace the magazine (unloaded) knowing the pistol is 100% unloaded and pull the trigger.
    Then pull the trigger again without racking the slide.
    If it does not cock the hammer to shoot without racking the slide it is a single action.
    Then tell me why so many of the striker fired pistols are classified as double action and they will not cock the hammer without cycling the slide.
    What am I missing here?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Bark'n and Dadsnugun like this.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Double action means the trigger does two things. (pull the hammer back, and release it)
    Single action means the trigger does one thing (release the hammer)

Some pistols operate as either kind depending on the circumstance.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    No that is haveing the ability of second strick . Not just DA. Taurus has that in there pistol line up. DA refers to just a long trigger pull evertime as in a DA revolver but not any secnd strick.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    Apparently Double action is whatever the manufacturer wants it to be. Some double actions have hammers some don't. Most striker fired guns are called double action. Some double action guns give you second strike capability some don't, regardless of whether or not they are hammer fired.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

VIP Member
    Again, I will suggest you read the link I posted above. DA has nothing to do with length of pull - it is as its name implies: DOUBLE action. That is, pulling the trigger does TWO (see, double) things. In a traditional double action, it both cocks the hammer, AND releases it. Striker fired pistols (and some of the newer trigger systems) can blur the lines between traditional double and single action definitions, that's why Tangle wrote up the excellent sticky that he did.
    Bark'n and Dadsnugun like this.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Well I don't care what they want to call it. when you pull the trigger, if it does not cock the hammer or cock a spring on a striker fired pistol ((to the full extent and then release the hammer or the firing pin)). Then it is a single action. A double action pistol, pulling the trigger will fully cock the pistol and then release the spring sending that firing pin forward (without racking the slide). I have a glock and I do not care what they call it it is a single action pistol if it is not already cocked And then you pull the trigger it does absolutely nothing if that slide does not cycle pulling the trigger does nothing. Maybe I am just thickheaded or old school but that is my opinion

VIP Member
    Well, I can be of the opinion that the sky is purple or an apple is a bowling ball, but that doesn't necessarily make it so. The terms double- and single action arose well before the multitude of trigger/firing systems that we have now, and not all systems these days can be lumped (accurately) into those two categories. It's not about being old school (which in many cases - though not necessarily in this one - simply means too lazy to learn something new), it's about accurately describing things.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    For most people single and double action makes more sense when they are talking revolvers rather than mixing the two with simi-autos. Think of, for example, Ruger Super Blackhawk (you cock the revolver hammer manually, the trigger releases it, and the Ruger Super Redhawk (you can cock the hammer and the trigger releases it [SA] - OR - the trigger cocks the hammer and releases the hammer [DA]). If you must pull the hammer back and then have to release it [TO FIRE] using the trigger it is SA.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jdp751 View Post
    Double action or single action. What is it?

Correct me if I am wrong.

What am I missing here?
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdp751
    Well I don't care what they want to call it.

Maybe I am just thickheaded or old school but that is my opinion
    Kinda removes the point of this thread then, don't ya think?
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Links