Ruger LCR 357 v S&W M&P 340

This is a discussion on Ruger LCR 357 v S&W M&P 340 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was fortunate enough to be able to buy both the LCR 357 and the M&P 340 ( not at the same time). The past ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Ruger LCR 357 v S&W M&P 340

Ruger LCR 357 v S&W M&P 340

I was fortunate enough to be able to buy both the LCR 357 and the M&P 340 ( not at the same time). The past 2 weeks gave me some time to evaluate the pros and cons of each.
    Please keep in mind this is only my opinion.
    Concealibility is about even. The Ruger has the Hogue tamer grip so its slightly bigger, with this combination the edge is with the Smith. The LCR has a boot grip available, with that grip it would tie .
    Weight... The Ruger being stainless is heavier 17.1 oz to the Smiths 13.5oz.
    Trigger... The Ruger wins this one. Its smoother and has a lighter pull. I think the LCR has 8.5lbs vs the Smiths 12-14lbs.
    Finish.. No question here the Smith. Its a more expensive gun but it shows, I'm sure the Scandium also adds to the price.
    Shooting.. I found the LCR more comfortable, the grip is better and it isolates the recoil better. Even shooting 357 magnums was tolerable but I would not make it a habit. The Smith with the smaller boot grip was slightly more punishing.
    Ammunition... Practice was with standard pressure 38 130gr FMJ WWB
    Defense I used Speer Gold Dot 135gr short barrel 38+P
    I also compared several 357 loads:
    Speer Gold Dot 125gr JHP,
    Speer Gold Dot 135gr Short Barrel JHP
    Fiocchi 158gr Semi jacketed HP
    Recoil was about the same for the GD 125 Gr and the Fiocchi 158gr.
    The GD 357 135 gr short barrel was a nice surprise, its not as punishing as 125gr and 158gr magnums. It also felt a lot hotter than the GD 38+P. In my opinion I thought the GD135gr SB 357 was a perfect carry load.
    Ballistic numbers from Speers LE site
    GD 38+P 135gr SB Muzzel 860ft/sec125gr Energy 222ftlbs
    GD 357 125gr " 1450 ft sec " 584ftlbs
    GD 357 158gr " 1235 ft sec " 535ftlbs ( I did not have Fiocchi Spec. GD listed)
    GD 357 135gr SB " 990ft sec " 294ftlbs
    NickBurkhardt likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    For the life of me, I can't figure out why the S&W is so expensive.

I'll stick with my LCR.
    Sledge likes this.

I have an M&P 340 that was bought about 4 years ago. If the .357 LCR was available back then, and I knew what I know about guns now....the LCR would have gotten the nod...hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrange View Post
    For the life of me, I can't figure out why the S&W is so expensive.

I'll stick with my LCR.
    Word

I can only speculate as to why there is such a cost difference. First is probably the cost of the scandium, I understand its very very expensive and only mined in a few places. Second, when you look at the finish on the Ruger it is not as well done, Third , the M&P340 has the XS Tritiun front sight, the LCR 357 does not. I know you can put them on the Ruger, its just not standard. I'd guess those are some of the reasons for the cost difference. The S&W appears to have a few more steps done to it before its out the door and may last longer if shot a lot. It does not appear to function any better, it just looks better. Actually if you compare the LCR 38 aluminum frame to the LCR 357 Stainless front end there is a big difference. I think the 38 looks much better. I have had J frames for many years and love them, if I had to make a choice between the two guns today I'd have to say the LCR.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Great comparo - that's actually *exactly* my thoughts, when I compared the two.

I ended up with the M&P 340 simply because in my hands, it points just a little better. Given my very specific role for this pistol, that was what pushed the decision in its favor.

Otherwise, I would have gone with the Ruger.

I used to own a SW 340PD. If you want a gun that you rarely shoot then it is perfect. Training is very important though so that's why I got rid of it. It hurts too bad to shoot it. I have since bought a Ruger SP101 and now I'm on the market for the LCR. I've shot the LCR in 38 special and it's very nice. I have not shot it in 357 magnum though. Not to mention the price is much better.

Thanks for posting the comparison. good info.
    NRA Life Member

Brian,
    A friend of mine has the LCR 38 so I was able to shoot that gun quite bit before deciding on the 357. In my opinion the LCR 357 is the nicer of the two guns to shoot, its almost 4oz heavier so recoil with 38+P is more subdued. In 357 magnum I thought the Speer GD 357 135gr short barrel was excellent. That extra 4 ozs. can make a difference in certain carry positions, IWB you wont notice, if you plan to pocket carry or use an ankle holster it is more noticeable. I think the actual difference in price is around $50-$70 depending on your LGS.

So, I'm guessing that you're sticking with your S&W?
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I wouldnt sell the M&P340, its a great gun and I do like it a lot. Its like TSIWRX said, it has a specific role, given those conditions I carry it. I find the LCR better for daily carry because it's more comfortable in my hand and I shoot better with it. I think thats most important.

I was between those two before I decided on LCR 357. I added X Night sight and it is a perfect shooter for me. M@P340 is more expensive but it is made from scadium. I could not get a good grip with my hands on M@P340. Ruger's grip it is just perfect fit for me.
    Nothing wrong with S@W, just personal choice. So far I have 2,000 rounds plus through my LCR 357 and it still looks like new.
    I use GD short barrel 135 +P as defense ammo. For practice I like 158 gr non + P loads, like Magnatech FMJ.
    Vodek

I have both the 340 and the LCR. I like to carry the 340 in an ankle holster and it is not as uncomfortable as the LCR by the end of the day. I have the LCR in a front pocket or OWB. I just like carrying two revolvers. I have the XS sight on both.
    bunker likes this.
    Laus Deo

Those who are willing to trade freedom for security will have neither.
    You alone are responsible for your defense.

My wife has the LCR in .357 magnum and she loves it. The S&W while being a finely crafted wheel gun, the unusually expensive metal and the long trigger pull would make me not want to purchase it. I would like to own an LCR too, but having bought it for my wife, I could not expend the additional funds to get one to compliment hers.

I have fired the LCR with both 38spl and the .357. Yes, the latter is a handful and you would not want to shoot many rounds, but it is comfortable. The Hogue grips and smooth cam assisted trigger give it a big thumbs up over the S&W.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Love my no/lock 340 M&P...
    I have never compared it to a Ruger LCR..but thanks for comparing for us!

The 340 is absurdly expensive...but I love it, and would never get rid of it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links