Full-Size Carry?

This is a discussion on Full-Size Carry? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A service size handgun is naturally easier to shoot well. Like everything in life, there are trade offs. The two smallest I carry are the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Full-Size Carry?

A service size handgun is naturally easier to shoot well. Like everything in life, there are trade offs. The two smallest I carry are the g26 or j frame, and that is only for special functions when dress is prohibitive of CC.

I have found that for 90% of the time I can a full size 1911, or 4 inch revolver.
    If you dedicate yourself to the weapon, it helps you to find different acceptable ways to carry it.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

2. Remove Ads

I'm 5'7", 160lbs and carry a Sig Sauer P220 (Carry) year round. Once and a while I pocket carry a Glock 26 if I have to wear a tucked shirt. I'm retired so I don't have to dress up to go to work, so carrying for me is a little easier. What makes the biggest difference on how large a weapon you can carry is the Belt and holster. With a good belt and holster you can carry almost any revolver or pistol with no problem. I'm really amazed sometimes on the length people go to to carry the smallest, lightest handgun possible. Larger guns are much easier to shoot well..... And....for the record, I do own a number of pocket revolvers so I'm not against going small.....just prefer something larger and easier to shoot.

Here in Wisconsin we've only had conceal carry for a couple of months now. During this cold period I have been carrying a Commander length Caspian Arms .45 ACP with Hornady Critical Defence ammo. It's easy to conceal under a below the waist coat and the comfort level of having a pistol available with a BIG hole in the front end is hard to beat.

Stay calm, pick a spot..........squeeze the trigger.

I'm just a tad over 5'9" tall and weight 180-185, and I generally carry a full size 5" 1911 either in an IWB or OWB at 3:30-4:00, depending on the weather and how I'm dressed. Since I'm retired, I seldom have to "dress up", so my normal attire in spring, fall, and winter is Levis, and a T-shirt with an unbuttoned cover shirt (either long sleeved or short depending on the temp), and in really cold weather a jacket of varying weight, depending on the temp. Occasionally in the summer, if it's really hot and I'm wearing cargo shorts and a tank top, I'll switch to my J frame in a pocket holster, but normally it is the 1911 I rely on for daily carry. With a heavier pistol, a GOOD belt is as, if not more, important than the holster itself.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

I admit to being conflicted about this. I clearly can shoot my Glock 19 better than any of the other, smaller, handguns that I own. I've recently started carrying my G19 in an OWB holster with a good gun belt, and I find it conceals "ok" with an untucked polo shirt or loose, unbuttoned cover shirt. (I've tried IWB carry with several holsters, and I don't find it comfortable.)

The problem is that I cannot wear that kind of attire at work - I have to wear suit and tie. Also, most of my colleagues and clients would not appreciate knowing that I am armed. So, my needs during the work week are more discreet. Then, you throw in church on Sunday, which poses the same challenges. So realistically, I can only carry a service-sized pistol one day per week. The rest of the week, I pocket carry.

So, my conflict is this...is it better to carry a full-sized pistol, even if you can only do it a small part of the time...or is it better to just carry the same way all the time, so you retain your muscle memory - even if it means carrying smaller guns? I've leaned towards the latter, since I believe the shooter is more important than the weapon...but...I really would like to carry a larger pistol if possible.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I admit to being conflicted about this. I clearly can shoot my Glock 19 better than any of the other, smaller, handguns that I own. I've recently started carrying my G19 in an OWB holster with a good gun belt, and I find it conceals "ok" with an untucked polo shirt or loose, unbuttoned cover shirt. (I've tried IWB carry with several holsters, and I don't find it comfortable.)

The problem is that I cannot wear that kind of attire at work - I have to wear suit and tie. Also, most of my colleagues and clients would not appreciate knowing that I am armed. So, my needs during the work week are more discreet. Then, you throw in church on Sunday, which poses the same challenges. So realistically, I can only carry a service-sized pistol one day per week. The rest of the week, I pocket carry.

So, my conflict is this...is it better to carry a full-sized pistol, even if you can only do it a small part of the time...or is it better to just carry the same way all the time, so you retain your muscle memory - even if it means carrying smaller guns? I've leaned towards the latter, since I believe the shooter is more important than the weapon...but...I really would like to carry a larger pistol if possible.
    Agreed.

I actually prefer to carry the full size XD with a two spare mag carrier. Not just because "MOAR", but it's also more comfortable. I feel more balanced, and the bigger grip doesn't dig into my side when I sit. But, like 10thmtn here, I don't think my coworkers need to know I carry, so it's the XD subcompact at work, or my Kahr once I get defensive ammo for it.

I don't do the church thing, but I can't imagine why that would be a problem...
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

I am 5'6" and I weigh almost 160. I have carried a 5" 1911 with little difficulty (it is a little too long to carry in my shoulder holster, however), but I prefer my 4" Springfield Champion. It fits me better. At your size, a full size 1911 would be no problem to conceal. Go for it.

Sponsor
    I typically carry a mid or full size handgun and a BUG on the ankle. I believe comfortable carry is as much about the holster as the gun. A proper holster like the SHTF Gear ACE-1 will allow you to carry a large weapon. I switch between a Glock 32 and Glock 17 with my ACE-1. I used to alternate between a XDm 4.5" 9mm and my 32.

I think the crossbreed would serve you well if you already have it. If you don't, consider other options for a hybrid style of holster like the one I offer.

Thanks,
    Clay

6' 170 lbs XD9 5" in a crossbreed as my primary EDC. I can conceal in casual and dress attire.

2012-01-11%u002525252013.30.47.jpg
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

I switch back and forth between my Walther PPS and Beretta Cougar.

OP, you and I have about the same size and weight. I carry a Glock 17 or an FNP9, both service sized pistols.
    "I can show you how to make a bomb out of a roll of toilet paper and a stick of dynamite." Dale Gribble

Sig P226 probably 80% of the time. G19 the rest of the time. Both in Crossbreed supertucks.
    I thoroughly disapprove of duels.
    If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand
    and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
    -Mark Twain

eb
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    I definitely do not prefer large guns for carry, I see no reason to at all. I shoot my Kahr's just fine and they are SO much easier/comfortable to carry.
    The main reason I carry a large gun is round count. I have a Kahr MK9 and a CW45 as well, but why carry 6 rounds of 9mm or 45acp... when I can easily carry my XD 45c and have 10 rounds of 45acp on me. The size difference between the CW45 and the XD 45c is negligible at best. I no longer carry 9mm's, so the MK9 will probably get sold off...

i prefer the subcompact im 5'10" 205lbs but here in ma at a ten round capacity limit i just dont see the need for the extra weight of say my m&p full size 9mm with ten rounds when i can carry my glock 26 with the same capacity and do it ten time easier

Most of my carry guns have been compacts and sub-compacts. Even my steel frame 1911's are a Colt Officers and Para P-12. XD9sc, & SP-101's, etc.

While my G-23 is technically considered a compact, I really consider it more of a standard duty sized pistol. I find I can carry the G-23 just as easily and comfortable as my other smaller guns with the right holster set up.

What I find is that I shoot full size guns better, quicker and more accurately when speed counts. And in a life or death situation, both speed and accuracy counts.

I also believe crime and violence in society is getting more and more grim by each passing year, and fear things may certainly get worse before they get better. Thus the switch to carrying full size pistols much more often.

My most recent purchase is a full size M&P 9mm which I plan as my new primary EDC weapon. I'm still putting it through it's paces for reliability and accommodation, but am anticipating carrying it without any problems with the new Remora I'm waiting on. I also plan on getting either an MTAC Minotaur and/or a Pure Custom Black Ops Pro for it as well.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links