Full-Size Carry?

This is a discussion on Full-Size Carry? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Bark'n I also believe crime and violence in society is getting more and more grim by each passing year, and fear things ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Full-Size Carry?

eb
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I also believe crime and violence in society is getting more and more grim by each passing year, and fear things may certainly get worse before they get better. Thus the switch to carrying full size pistols much more often.
    This is what happened to me well. I started off carrying 5-round revolvers, or small and easily concealable 9's with 5-7 rounds, etc etc. Then as more and more crazy #%$@ has been happening over the past year or so, I started just wanting to carry as much of the biggest caliber I could.

Hence, the XD 45c with 10 rounds... I realize that ballistic-ally there is little difference between calibers, especially when considering HP ammo, etc... however I feel better with the big 45acp's on my belt, so thats all that matters. If I ever have to pull that gun god forbid, the BG is going to be presented with a bigass 45 containing a bigass hole in the front, and hopefully thats a deterrent. At 6'3" and 250lbs, I have no problem concealing a larger gun...

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    For me, "dressing to the gun" is, unfortunately, not possible.

I unfortunately must tailor the gun and support-gear to my existing wardrobe.

For me, for how I prefer to carry (and I'll get back to this in just a second), this means that I usually use a "Compact" sized autopistol. Basically, I need the abbreviated frame/grip "height" in order to conceal well.

For me, because of my daily routine and my requirements for comfort, I carry at my 3-o'clock. This is partially what limits me, in terms of the frame/grip "height." If I were to go with appendix/inguinal carry, I can easily conceal a full-sized autopistol. My body build and my current gear selection has made this a no-go, but I'm working on the former, as well as am looking to revise the latter, to give it another try, a good, earnest try.

I'm not exactly Top Shot material, but I shoot reasonably well. I know from several "run your gun" training classes that at typical self-defense ranges, my choice in a smaller "Compact" carry gun is not a liability, that I perform pretty much the same with either it or its full-sized counterpart. Nevertheless, the "Compact" does give up a bit on ergonomics (with the base of the "Compact" magazine, using a Pearce "pinky extension," that reaches precisely to just below the pinky of my shooting hand, I cannot get a full DRM/Fist-Fire-style wrist-lock on the grip, and that does compromise recoil mitigation and control with longer strings of shooting) when compared to her full-sized sister. Similarly, although I do carry a full-sized magazine on the off-side, it's undeniable that, in terms of firepower from the get-go, there is a lesser round-count in my palm, with the "Compact" versus her bigger sister.

For me, concealed carry has been about compromises. Find what works *for you,* as an individual, and train with a good eye towards reality as it fits *your* every-day life.

I pocket carry a Sig P238, but I also own a Beretta PX4 Storm (mine is a 9mm) that I sometimes carry IWB, tucked in the small of my back. I'm 5'8 and weigh about 180 pounds. I have no problems concealing the Storm, but the smaller Sig just feels more comfortable to carry all day long. When I don't carry the Beretta, it serves as a very noble friend at home at night with a fully loaded magazine.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States.
    There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
    - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Sig P238/Sig 1911 Ultra/Beretta PX4 Storm/Kimber Ultra Carry II

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Yep, I'm a user & fan of the Crossbred SuperTuck & I carry a fullsize or commander size 1911 winter through summer.
    ktulu92fs likes this.

Carrying a full size 1911 "is" all about the holster......lots of good ones available.....for me, it's TT Gunleather's Slim IWB &'DDP Pancake for my Kimber Pro Carry HD ll......EXTREMELY COMFORTABLE and Concealable!
    Proverbs 3:5-6
    "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight."

I've bounced back and forth between full size and compacts. I've gone from a full size Beretta 92fs - Walther PPK (.380) - Kel-Tec P-11 - 5" 1911 - Glock 26 - to my current EDC, a full size Springfield XD .45. At first I preferred the compacts. But now I don't think I'd carry anything but a full size. I use a Crossbreed Supertuck. I'm 6' 2" and 200lb. I have to get 1 size larger shirts since I'm back to carrying a full size pistol. But that doesn't bother me a bit. Although, I think I will get another compact (I only have the 92fs, 1911, and XD now) for those quick trips out, for certain situations when a compact is more practical for the situation/dress and for when it gets warmer. Plus, I would like to have a BUG. Been thinking of a Ruger LCP. .....Or the new XD .45 compact.

I carry/carried all the guns in my signature. A good IWB and belt can hide anything almost.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links