Full-Size Carry?

Full-Size Carry?

This is a discussion on Full-Size Carry? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've about decided to carry my full-size PX 4 .45 concealed. Based on weights, dimensions, and capacities of smaller compacts I've been considering, it occurs ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Full-Size Carry?

Full-Size Carry?

I've about decided to carry my full-size PX 4 .45 concealed.

Based on weights, dimensions, and capacities of smaller compacts I've been considering, it occurs to me that several folks on this forum carry 1911s and similar sized weapons. I'm 6' 2", 230--so I don't think a larger weapon would be out of bounds. I'm intending to use the Crossbreed Super Tuck, and I generally wear loose, un-tucked, short-sleeved dress shirts year round, anyway. And at work, a chef's coat.

Do any of you prefer larger-framed handguns for concealed? Thoughts? Advice?

Thanks in advance!

(PS: I love this forum, and I read it extensively! Though I have firearms experience, I have little concealed experience. You guys are an incredible source of information!)

sgb
    I carry a 5" 1911 QWB at 3 O clock under a T shirt no problem
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I prefer full size pistols.

The SuperTuck will definitely work, but it's only half of the rig. You need a good belt, too.
    BigJon10125, ktulu92fs and DUNDEM like this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

All the time. In fact, other than a J-frame model 60 Smith, all my handguns are full size. You say you are 6'2 and 230. I am 6'5 and 220, so you will have no problem with a full size gun. It's not so much about your size as it is about how you carry it and what you carry it with, although being a bit bigger never hurts. I carry an XDm 9 and a SIG 226 Stainless. They are big, and the SIG is heavy to boot. Same with my M&P, Kimber, and 229. I don't care who says what, the 229 is NOT a compact pistol. So you ought to be good to go with whatever you carry, especially with a Crossbreed, MTAC, or any other well made holster (and belt!).

I dont understand why people wont carry a fullsize, especially in the winter. I carry my Glock 22 6 months out of the year. Its not hard to conceal. Heck most of the time I carry OWB in a Glock sport holster.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

eb
    I have carried my PX4 .45 many times, but I do find it a bit "too big".

I settled on carrying an XD 45 compact, which is only slightly smaller, still holds 10 rounds, and made a lot of difference size-wise. I now have the PX4 in the hand safe by the bed as my home defense gun...

I have a CompTac Minotaur for both of them...

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    I definitely do not prefer large guns for carry, I see no reason to at all. I shoot my Kahr's just fine and they are SO much easier/comfortable to carry.

Yeah I prefer the Kahr for CC. I prefer my CW9 over my TP45 I shoot the 45 better than the 9 only slightly better, the CW9 is so easy to carry. I have a Model 20 10mm can carry OWB and it is ok and my FNH 5.7 full size weight is good but the size is a pain to carry other than OWB.

I looked at the Storm it was just to big boxey for my taste. I have a PPQ on order for playing around I doubt I would carry concealed with it it until I have it on my person who knows.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I don't carry chopped guns and other than a Smith J frame everything I own is service sized. I prefer the ergonomics of a full grip weapon.

I prefer to carry something I do my best with, and service size pistols often fill that role best. With a good holster/ belt/ clothes combo, it isn't as hard to do as we might think.

As far as the weight of a pistol, well, my gut can usually stand to lose 5+ pounds anyway, so I prefer to work on losing the fat instead of worrying about 8 ounces or so of a lighter pistol. Just my thoughts, and worth what they cost. ;)
    bmcgilvray likes this.

I'm just the opposite. I tend to carry discretely with a smaller caliber and gun, such as the colt mustang, Taurus .38 ultralite, and or NAA .22 mag. mini-revolver. I don't have a tendency to go looking for trouble, such as the wrong side of town or unfamiliar town,etc...but when I do, theres a .45 in the vehicle.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

If I could comfortably or even just semi-comfortably carry a full-size, I would in a heartbeat. You can't beat having more shots and better control of a full size.

Alas I am fat and am resigned to mostly pocket carry.

The length is the toughest thing to deal with. But you guys are right you can carry about anything if you work at it. My Chiappa Arms Rhino is heavier but the short barrel and small grip make it real easy to carry as easy as the Kahr.

I carry a Glock 17 as much as possible. As long as I can wear a cover shirt I'm good to go. Realistically it's probably about 1/3 of the year. The other 2/3 of the year I carry a Glock 26. That conceals much easier with just a tee shirt. Once I got comfortable carrying the 26 it wasn't much of a step to go to the 17.

Also, I'm a bit on the fluffy side. At one time I pocket carried exclusively. No, not the 17! I made the effort to get used to IWB carry. And yes it was a struggle at times. But now I rarely pocket carry. I much prefer IWB. I got my pocket back!
    Question Everything!

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Full size 1911

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links