SFS Hi Power Reliability Report...

This is a discussion on SFS Hi Power Reliability Report... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello. I do not have an SFS-equipped Hi Power but was contacted a while back by a fellow who was going to shoot one quite ...

Thread: SFS Hi Power Reliability Report...

1951 - 2011

Hello. I do not have an SFS-equipped Hi Power but was contacted a while back by a fellow who was going to shoot one quite a bit and report back on his observations. With his permission, I am posting his email report here:

" I said I would report after twenty five matches how the "system" was holding up. Well it has been only 15 matches so this is an "interim" report. After about 1900 rounds there was never a failure of the pistol or the SFS system on the range. I've passed over 1000 presentations from the holster flipping off the safety to see if the hammer would spring back every time. Without fail the hammer comes back to the full cock position. As you advise changing out recoil springs around 2000 rounds, I thought I would test two products at once. I have ordered a Sprinco recoil system and I'll report how the SFS system and this product does after another 15 matches. As a "side note", I have the three other observations so far. One, I have not been able to deliberately brush up against anything and off the safety. Two, a VAST number of people when seeing it with the "hammer down" assume the pistol is not ready to fire. Finally, the 1911 makes a distinct "click" when thumbing off the safety, whereas most BHP's do not. The SFS system does make an "audible" noise in an otherwise quite room. The "way around this" is to hold the thumb of the weak hand behind the hammer and "ease" it back while holding the thumb safety down. There is no half cock notch to stop the hammer from going "silently" to the rear. I'll contact you again when I have more to report. If you have any questions, just drop me a line.

I hope our SFS Hi Power users find this man's first-hand observations useful.

Best.

Stephen, What is SFS? I am not familier with that term.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

1951 - 2011
    Hello. Here's a link that explains it:

http://www.cylinder-slide.com/sfs.shtml

Best.

It allows you to carry the pistol "condition 1" without having the hammer back. Some people just feel uneasy about carrying a pistol cocked and locked. The SFS system allows you to chamber a round and then thumb the hammer forward. When the pistol is drawn you sweep the safety down as you would any such pistol. When you do this the pistol self cocks the hammer and you are right where you would have been if carrying it with the hammer back. I like the system although I don't have it on my BHP. I would like to see someone make it for 1911's and Cylinder and Slide may, I have just not researched it yet.
    If we treat every gun as if it was loaded, then why not treat every individual as if they are armed.

estimber, thank you for the explanation.

Thank's, I didn't realize that. I'll stick to cocked and locked! I'm a 1911 carry so I am use to it.

ETA ~ C&S does make an SFS for a 1911 according to the C&S website! Just FYI.

ETA ~ After looking into it the SFS (1911) system look's promising and will look into it further, thanks again.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Links