Help w/380 Auto identification

This is a discussion on Help w/380 Auto identification within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This handgun belongs to a friend. He tells me that it was given to him by his Father about 25-30 years ago. I searched the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help w/380 Auto identification

Help w/380 Auto identification

This handgun belongs to a friend. He tells me that it was given to him by his Father about 25-30 years ago. I searched the web and a few gun forums, but came up with nothing.

The Gun is made in a 1911 SA platform. It does not have a Grip Safety. It does however have a Thumb Safety, Slide Release, Mag Release, Barrel Bushing, Barrel Lug, Spring Guide Rod and Spur Hammer. It has an external extractor.

It has what seems to be a taller than normal, very thin front sight. Perhaps to utilize with a Suppressor??. The Barrel is not threaded. The sight set is plain,.. dotless.

The top of the Slide has parallel cuts (rails) the entire length of the slide, which I believe could be used for securing [scope] rings(?). It'd have to be a very small diametered scope

It has an integrated lanyard loop on the bottom rear of the Frame.

The Left side (checkered mahogony?) grip panel has a silver round Colt Medallion. The right side grip panel is fully checkered, without the medallion.

It has an adjustable (left to right) rear sight.

The Magazine seems to be at least 7 round capacity.

The left side of the Slide has the letters "F1" and "IND WASH D C"
    The right side of the Slide has the letters "F1" and "MOD. D CAL..380"

No other marking or stampings appear on the gun/frame, except for the S/N.

The Gun is Blue and it's in excellent condition. It looks like a miniature 1911-A1. The silver Colt Medallion would make anyone think it was a Colt manufactured gun, but apparently it's not in the books.

It's a very unique handgun.

Any information on this piece would be greatly appreciated.

-Jimmy
    Last edited by los; August 20th, 2006 at 09:47 PM.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

2. Remove Ads

It's an FI Model "D" similar to the Colt Pony or the Iver Johnson Pony (a later version of the FI as "Firearms International" went out of business in the early to mid 80s I've had several of em end they work VERY well. The gun should give you plenty of conceilability and is pretty reliable too. I'd stick with 95 Gr FMJ Federals..and mags are easy enough to come across as well........
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Wow, how 'bout a pic ?...

New Member Array Mountaineer_Shootist's Avatar
    Hard to tell without a pic but could it be a Star?
    Here is a link to some info & pics.
    http://star-firearms.com/firearms/guns/d/index.shtml
    Montani Semper Liberi
    Mountaineers Are Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH View Post
    It's an FI Model "D" similar to the Colt Pony or the Iver Johnson Pony (a later version of the FI as "Firearms International" went out of business in the early to mid 80s I've had several of em end they work VERY well. The gun should give you plenty of conceilability and is pretty reliable too. I'd stick with 95 Gr FMJ Federals..and mags are easy enough to come across as well........
    Thanks for the quick reply! Why would it have the Colt Medallion on the Grip?? Sub-Contracting??

Check the link I posted above. It was also sold as a Colt. Maybe someone switched a grip panel.
    Montani Semper Liberi

I believe the grips were either modified Iver Johnson grips, with the Colt medalion inserted, or maybe Original Colt Pony grips (I highly doubt it though) I think it's more the latter of inserted Colt medalions into the grips.............great conversation starter though........

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaineer_Shootist View Post
    Check the link I posted above. It was also sold as a Colt. Maybe someone switched a grip panel.
    You guys are great! THANKS Mountaineer_ Shootist.

It's identical to the FIE Model D and the Colt Pony model shown on the Link you provided.

Except that this Gun has the F1 stamp.

No problem los. Glad to help.
    Montani Semper Liberi

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH View Post
    Thanks for the info. I'll be sure to advise my Buddy to use the ammo you recommended. Although I don't believe he'll be firing it anytime soon. It's been in his Vault for the past 25-30 years.

The gun should work just fine, even though it's been store for a long time.......spray it with a little tetra lube on the rails, and then wipe it down...........I'd have no trouble giving it a good home, just in case your friend is afraid to shoot it

I'm planning on buying a Model D from a local Gun Store. You guys Know of any manuals, links on how to strip it down for cleaning. Planning on using it as a summer CCW and have my Glock 26/17 as cold weather.

Thanks for your help...By the way its priced at $199 and he said it's about 11 years old. What do you guys think.
    Last edited by CALIX; October 26th, 2006 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Spelling

I must say, after looking at the pics, thats a nice looking gun. its a keeper. I would probably keep it for home though since it was given from father to son. I take family treasures seriously.

Well, I purchased the Model D and found some good articles too. I went to test it 2 days ago with 92 and 95 gr. FMJ. It went bang and bang and bang. Never had any problem and it's accurate as well. The only problem I have is owning my first blued gun and getting paranoid if this thing will have rust spots later on, being a Glock owner.

I'm very satisfied and I will post pix later on.

VIP Member
    I picked up a F.I. Industries Model D today at a gunshow. And for those interested it has the original F.I. checkered grips with silver colored F.I. medallions right in the place the Prancing Pony appears in the picture of the Colt Pony on this site.

http://star-firearms.com/firearms/guns/d/index.shtml

When I got home from the show I grabbed a 1999 copy of Gun Trader's Guide and checked out what it had to say about the F.I Industries Model D. The picture there has the F.I. medallion on the grips.

By the way the author misidentifies the maker of the Model D in the picture above the Colt. He has FIE, but he means F.I. Industries. The F.I. stands for Firearms International. FIE is a different organization.

I'll try to post some pictures tomorrow. Won't get to do a range report for at least a week.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links