need your opinion please - Page 2

need your opinion please

This is a discussion on need your opinion please within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; typical splits for me playing IDPA are .12 to .15 when changing targets. the draw with a shirt covering the gun and the pair goes ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: need your opinion please

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    typical splits for me playing IDPA are .12 to .15 when changing targets.
    the draw with a shirt covering the gun and the pair goes at 1.1; 3 shots on 2 targets COM is 1.25 with a 1911
    with a striker fired I'm slower, coming in around 1.35.

so we are really talking about tenths of a second and honestly,
    you should not shoot faster than you can stop.
    ...suppose your gun were to misfire or your target turn away from you?

in practice, a misfire may mean an obstructed bbl and another trigger pull may blow the gun.
    in a fight; he turns and you putting one in his back may cause troubles for you in court.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Here's a couple of points that might be good reading:

* Accuracy takes precedence over speed. Shot placement wins gunfights.
    * You must shoot at YOUR speed.
    * Speed is derived from economy of motion, not moving faster.
    * Speed is a natural bi-product of practice.
    * Shoot one shot at a time. Each one is the most important.
    * Focus on the mechanics of getting the job done.
    * Only hits count. The only thing worse than a miss is a slow miss.
    Honk likes this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

There are too many variables to consider to get a real answer to your question.

Shooting a small, pocket 9mm, or for that matter a 380 may produce substantial recoil and make accurate followup shots difficult to make. On the other hand, shooting a steel full size 45 acp pistol may produce little recoil and allow fast followup shots.

I like 45 acp pistols and mostly carry a Sig P220 or Glock 30. But there are times when I can't carry these pistols. Then I will put my Glock 26 in my pocket and not feel undergunned. I think a 9mm or 38 special are fine for self defense.

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    It doesn't matter how fast you are if you can't hit your target. Trauma kills not bullet size but the FBI likes 14 inches of penetration
    Was gonna say the same thing. follow up round speed to me isn't as important as shot placement. If you can't hit your target, it don't matter a tinkers damn how fast you are. as far as which caliber/gun you use, I think it's what you feel the most comfortable with. What works for me, may not work for you.
    "Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands. " Col. Jeff Cooper

Proud member NRA, VCDL, USPSA, IDPA & DADD ( if you have daughters, you understand )

Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.
    Love your signature First Sgt.
    "Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands. " Col. Jeff Cooper

Proud member NRA, VCDL, USPSA, IDPA & DADD ( if you have daughters, you understand )

Pratice is the key, first shot placement is crucial, second shot should not matter if it is .1 .5 or 1 second if the first one goes where it is supposed to, the second, should follow suit, now, what about the third ? You shoot untill the threat is no longer a threat, another thing i do not see many people practice that was brought to my attention, was a 360 degree sweep, after first target is initialized, a BG in a pair, one to the side or behind you could be dangerous , no could be deadly, so train , train, and shoot. To me, i do not want to get shot with any caliber, and own several different.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

I can't add anything to the good advice already given about the importance of a well-placed first shot from any caliber.

If you logically consider how fast successive/repetitive (reasonably aimed) shots can be made, it would simply be dependent on the amount of recoil force produced by any particular round. Heavy recoil would raise the muzzle farther off target and take longer to readjust and fire again. Very light recoil wouldn't move the weapon off target very much and could be reaimed and fired much faster.

So, you could generally figure a .22 could be more rapidly fired with reasonable accuracy since it generates miminal recoil, while the larger caliber and/or magnum loads would be slower to repeatedly fire (on target) from the great degree of recoil-induced weapon movement that occurs after each shot.

But then, on the flip-side of the coin, a well-aimed first shot from a large caliber weapon may not require an exceptionally fast second shot - or even a second shot at all.
    JerryMac and showmebob like this.

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    so we are really talking about tenths of a second and honestly,
    you should not shoot faster than you can stop.

in practice, a misfire may mean an obstructed bbl and another trigger pull may blow the gun.
    in a fight; he turns and you putting one in his back may cause troubles for you in court.
    I completely agree with this statement. I've never understood the training methods that always promote 2 shots then stop to evaluate the situation. In my mind an evaluation shoud occur after every shot.

Thanks to all for the replies. It seems most would agree that second shot speed isn't nearly as important as an accurate first shot. My feelings are train with what (gun, caliber) you shoot the first shot best and make that shot count.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links