need your opinion please

This is a discussion on need your opinion please within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First off, this is my first post in quite some time here. I've been hearing a lot recently about how critical the time between shots ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: need your opinion please

need your opinion please

First off, this is my first post in quite some time here.

I've been hearing a lot recently about how critical the time between shots is in a defensive situation. It seems as though some trainers who previously only recommended .40 caliber and larger are now promoting the 9mm because of faster follow up shots. I've also read similar thoughts by many individuals on many forums.

Since I recently purchased a .40 and still own 9mm it got me wondering. Just how much difference a split second would really make in a defensive situation? How much time difference are we really talking about on average 1/2 second? more? less? Are there any statistics showing that a 1/2 second faster follow up show would have really made a difference? It would seem to me if any hit on the BG had any effect then it should slow him down enough to allow for a slightly slower (more accurate) follow up shot. Is the 9mm recommendation just to make up for a lack of training with larger calibers or is there some factual proof supporting the 9mm usage? Please share your opinions/experiences on this matter.

No caliber wars here please, I am not interested in hearing opinions about which caliber anyone prefers just about the questions above.

Thanks and stay safe!

2. Remove Ads

JerryMac likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by showmebob View Post
    No caliber wars here please, I am not interested in hearing opinions about which caliber anyone prefers just about the questions above.
    Not sure how this could not be a caliber related discussion.. therefor expect caliber wars.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

this may have been discussed already ...

no caliber wars, nobody mentioned .380 vs 9mm
    Seriously, go to the range, set up a scenario. And see which one you feel best with. With saying that, 1/2 second difference on the range does not equate to 1/2 second in real life. So therefore, I have nothing else to contribute LOL

Deal me out of this one.

It doesn't matter how fast you are if you can't hit your target. Trauma kills not bullet size but the FBI likes 14 inches of penetration
    Honk likes this.

sgb
    A 1/2 second follow up shot is foreeeeeeeeveeeeeeeer, but that's a shooter issue not a caliber issue.

JerryMac likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    no caliber wars, nobody mentioned .380 vs 9mm
    Seriously, go to the range, set up a scenario. And see which one you feel best with. With saying that, 1/2 second difference on the range does not equate to 1/2 second in real life. So therefore, I have nothing else to contribute LOL
    Basically, the range is what prompted me to ask here. While I can see the difference in follow up times it just doesn't seem to me to be that much difference. I've been wrong in life before however and appreciate others opinions.

Sgb

Thats some pretty fast shooting. My 1/2 second time was sort of a question "more, less?". Still, in my mind the question remains. Just how much difference does it make? I'm assuming in the video that the shooter wouldn't be much faster with a 9mm, maybe a .1?

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by showmebob View Post
    Sgb

Thats some pretty fast shooting. My 1/2 second time was sort of a question "more, less?". Still, in my mind the question remains. Just how much difference does it make? I'm assuming in the video that the shooter wouldn't be much faster with a 9mm, maybe a .1?
    In the real world gunfights are fast moving dynamic situations where you can do every thing right and still lose the fight. I personally doubt that the .001 (just a number for the sake of discussion) second faster time on target you may get shooting a 9mm over a .40 will be the deciding factor.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Just put the first shot where it matters and caliber isn't going to be all that big of an issue. The follow-up shots then become simply insurance.
    JerryMac likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I wish the thread title was more descriptive of the thread contents? I clicked it because I thought there would be "drama." Instead, its just more gun stuff! lol.

Practice, practice, practice ... and then practice some more. But first you have to hit your target before you worry about hitting it again

Besides that, it's easier to double-tap a stationary target then something that's moving too-and-fro

So if you have a problem hitting a stand-still ... Practice, practice, practice ... and then practice some more

Set the bar high work hard to achieve it, it will make you better. That's the message.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links