Need a good concealed pocket sized carry gun. Ruger LC9 reliability? - Page 2

Need a good concealed pocket sized carry gun. Ruger LC9 reliability?

This is a discussion on Need a good concealed pocket sized carry gun. Ruger LC9 reliability? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Revolvers..... Ruger LCR or S&W 442/642 Semi Auto..... Kahr CM9...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Need a good concealed pocket sized carry gun. Ruger LC9 reliability?

Revolvers..... Ruger LCR or S&W 442/642
    Semi Auto..... Kahr CM9

Another vote to check out the Kahr CM9. You will fall in love with the trigger.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Go to a range that rents smaller, "CCW-pistols" - or beg, borrow, steal friends' to try out.

As you go smaller and lighter, you lose mass, which is inherent to the gun in helping it dampen recoil, as well as physical size - the thing that allows your hands to interface with the pistol's grip/frame - which helps you, the shooter, better mitigate recoil. A very small difference in how the gun sits in *your* hands may mean a huge difference in how well you can naturally point the pistol or how you perceive its recoil.

Similarly, how the reduced physical size affects critical control-gear placement can also make a huge difference to different shooters.
    zonker1986 and Hoganbeg like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TSiWRX View Post
    Go to a range that rents smaller, "CCW-pistols" - or beg, borrow, steal friends' to try out.

As you go smaller and lighter, you lose mass, which is inherent to the gun in helping it dampen recoil, as well as physical size - the thing that allows your hands to interface with the pistol's grip/frame - which helps you, the shooter, better mitigate recoil. A very small difference in how the gun sits in *your* hands may mean a huge difference in how well you can naturally point the pistol or how you perceive its recoil.

Similarly, how the reduced physical size affects critical control-gear placement can also make a huge difference to different shooters.
    to put the above post in English. Small guns kick like a freaking mule and can be tough to shoot well without practice.
    Sorry my friend, you must be an Engineer or a Rocket Scientist because you don't write like any Redneck gun nut I know.
    Not making fun, just enjoyed your post.

Hah!! Read your profile and I was right....you are a scientist! Cool.
    Last edited by zonker1986; January 11th, 2012 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Just Read TsiWRX Profile
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

^ Sorry, bruddah! I write science for part of my day...and like the wife says, I get diarrhea at the keyboard!

So, yep, like zonker so eloquently put it, "smaller guns kick like a mule." Don't believe us? Try going out to the range and putting a cylinder full of .357 Magnum through a full-weight full-size revolver, like a SP101, and then try doing the same with that little LCR. Yeah, it's like that.

I have had a LC9 for about 6 months now, been a great gun. I do want to say I had problems with failures to fire with some ammo, mostly Remington UMC. I would get 1 FTF out of every 20 rounds, not good. The FTF's were caused by primer flow back ( brass shaving on firing bin). I shipped the gun back in September, they replaced the firing pin. The pin is an updated design, I'm happy to report all is good. 400 Rds of UMC as well 100's of rds of any other cheap crap a can get and 0 failures of any kind. I would say Ruger has the fix now!

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Another vote to check out the Kahr CM9. You will fall in love with the trigger.

I second what this gent and others have said about the CM9. I carry one everyday and highly recommend it. Not familiar with the LC9 from Ruger, but I do have the LCR and LCP and I'd still give the win to Kahr every time. A good J frame is still a darn good option for pocket carry, I carry one often and would recommend um as well, but the additional firepower offered by a reliable auto is comforting too. The J frame conceals a tad bit better, but depending on attire it can be negated pretty easily. JMO
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TSiWRX View Post
    ^ Sorry, bruddah! I write science for part of my day...and like the wife says, I get diarrhea at the keyboard!

So, yep, like zonker so eloquently put it, "smaller guns kick like a mule." Don't believe us? Try going out to the range and putting a cylinder full of .357 Magnum through a full-weight full-size revolver, like a SP101, and then try doing the same with that little LCR. Yeah, it's like that.
    Don't worry about it TSiWRX, The writing was perfect-succinct and to the point. That leads to less ambiguity and better understanding of your points. Also, the better we understand the mechanics of this business, the better we will be at predicting a new guns performance.
    Last edited by Hoganbeg; January 12th, 2012 at 06:42 PM.

Is there a holster available that will keep a Glock 27 below my belt line behind my wallet? That would be a nice place to hide my gun. May be problematic sitting.

I think something like the cell pal. however I did not read anything good about it. Smart carry looks ok but something a bit more simple similar to the cell pal would seem better. I did not read anything good about Cell pals. Seemed to be a lot of bad reviews for the holster.

I really like the g 23 best but the 27 seem better suited to carrying all day.

The wife and I each have one. No problems from either.

Quote Originally Posted by grantr View Post
    Is there a holster available that will keep a Glock 27 below my belt line behind my wallet? That would be a nice place to hide my gun. May be problematic sitting.

I think something like the cell pal. however I did not read anything good about it. Smart carry looks ok but something a bit more simple similar to the cell pal would seem better. I did not read anything good about Cell pals. Seemed to be a lot of bad reviews for the holster.

I really like the g 23 best but the 27 seem better suited to carrying all day.
    Virtually any "IWB" - (I)nside the (W)aist (B)and - holster will allow you to do this.

However, you're going to achieve varying degrees of success, and this is particularly so due to the fact that you'll have a wallet overlaying that area, which will bulge out even more once you've got the pistol behind there!

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Easy decision really, buy a Kahr CM9 and never look back (PM9 if you can swing it or want all black).

I thought the IWB holsters kept the grip of the gun above the waist line. I want the entire gun below the waist line.

I favor the Glock 27 over the Kahr due to more capacity and a larger round.

Quote Originally Posted by grantr View Post
    I thought the IWB holsters kept the grip of the gun above the waist line. I want the entire gun below the waist line.

I favor the Glock 27 over the Kahr due to more capacity and a larger round.
    Not all keep the grip above, and it also depends on the gun dimensions, especially on a non-molder holster. The desantis non molded holster I have keeps my beretta nano grip below right at/little below waistline. I do not like this personally...significantly reduces deployment speed for me.

My high noon split decision holster came in today...it's supposed to be a higher ride holster.

Desantis In The Pants (Non-Molded Straight Low Ride)
    IMG_0082.jpg

High Noon Bare Asset IWB (Non-Molded 15 Degree Cant High Ride)
    IMG_0084.jpg

Then there is the Remora no clip holster which can ride as high or low canted or straight up as you want...I had to buy one just to try it! Should arrive on Saturday.
    Last edited by Palumbo3284; January 12th, 2012 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Added pics to show ride height varying between holsters based on preference

I went to the gun shop today and they had everything in the store I was considering. I did decided on the Ruger pc9 for my CC gun. It just felt right. So far I have shot 75 rounds and it has been great. I can shoot as well as my Sig 228 so I am pleased. $349 seemed like a good deal for a compact 9mm. I have some Hornady Critical Defense rounds for carry.

Now I just need to fine a great IWB holster for it. Any recommendations?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links