Need a good concealed pocket sized carry gun. Ruger LC9 reliability?

This is a discussion on Need a good concealed pocket sized carry gun. Ruger LC9 reliability? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I want a good concealed carry pistol. One that would fit in my pocket would be great. I would like to stay with a 9mm ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Need a good concealed pocket sized carry gun. Ruger LC9 reliability?

Need a good concealed pocket sized carry gun. Ruger LC9 reliability?

I want a good concealed carry pistol. One that would fit in my pocket would be great. I would like to stay with a 9mm or larger.

I like the price and size of the LC9 but it seems like a lot of people have bought this gun and had many problems that Ruger couldn't fix. I need a gun that I can trust to go bang every time. It seems to be a lot of mixed reviews on this gun. I don't see that many mixed with Glocks and Sigs.

I have a Sig p 228 and it has never failed to go bang no matter what rounds I put in it or how dirty it is. Tula Ammo is dirty and cheap for plinking.

The 228 is a bit heavy to carry all day concealed and wont fit my pockets well.

Grant

2. Remove Ads

I like my Khar
    TN_Mike likes this.

If you like Sig check out the P290. I recently purchased a Beretta Nano...good price, solid gun, very accurate, low recoil (still more than compact or full size of course), and likely to fit in a pocket. I really like it. For me, it conceals very well IWB at about 4:00, but I could get it into a front pocket...barely though.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The LC9 is a tad large for a pocket pistol, and Glock doesn't make a true pocket pistol. Seems most of the issues with the LC9 were people "not liking" the trigger, not that the gun didn't work properly. I think too many folks expect miniturized pistol to have all the features and function of full-size guns, and they won't. There's a price to pay with any compromise.
    Walk Soft likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Many of us own the LC9 and have no problems. Many claim 500-3000 rounds with no problem. Last time I checked, Ruger will fix their products. Some people do not like the loaded chamber indicator, or the mag disconnect. The gun does have a long trigger pull,so what? The LC9 is like the Taurus Judge in this respect, a few people hate it so they loudly pronounce it is a bad gun. I pocket carry the LC9 all the time,no problems.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

I bought an LC9 two months ago. 300 rounds and zero malfunctions. At first I couldn't hit the side of a barn. Now the trigger is smooth and the gun is very accurate. Not to mention it conceals very nicely in a Remora IWB holster.

VIP Member
    I had a LC9 that I sold. It was reliable, but IMO the trigger pull is way too long. The trigger on the Kahr CW9 is much better.

BTW Welcome to the forum.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Welcome. I have a couple Pocket 9's. Both my PF9 and DB9 run flawlessly. Reviews may deter your opinion but I love mine.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk

I know you said you didn't want to go smaller than 9mm but you also wanted pocket sized and reliable so how about a S&W 642? They sell for 370.00 here or for 550 with laser grips. The 125 grn federal nyclad is a standard pressure round that has been proven to expand from short barrels.
    lowercase likes this.

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Palumbo3284 View Post
    If you like Sig check out the P290. I recently purchased a Beretta Nano...good price, solid gun, very accurate, low recoil (still more than compact or full size of course), and likely to fit in a pocket. I really like it. For me, it conceals very well IWB at about 4:00, but I could get it into a front pocket...barely though.
    Sig P290 is an excellent firearm. My wife had one until she fell in love with my G27.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

sgb
    lowercase likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I am not worried about the trigger pull on the Ruger. I was more concerned with the reliability issues some people had with brass flakes stopping up the firing pin hole causing misfires. That seemed to be the one problem I saw a few times searching a few forums. I do not recall them getting Ruger to fix the problem.

I just donít want to buy something that is going to have to be sent right back to the manufacturer to correct problems that shouldn't occur.

Thanks for the welcome!

I am considering wheel guns.

Beg to differ on the poster saying Glocks were not made for pocket carry. That is precisely why the Glock 26/27's were designed.....to replace the Smith pocket revolver and offer greater capacity to the LE community. I pocket carry a Glock 26 quite often. With a flush 10rd magazine it's dimensions are just about the same size as a S&W 442/642. Sure, its heavier, but it carries 10+1 of 9mm+p. The problem with going with one of new generation of pocket 9mm's is Reliability. Glock is well known for the reliability of its products.

I pocket carry a Kahr CM9 and a Keltec PF-9. Both have been perfect since day one. The Kahr is a bit easier to shoot well than the PF-9 as it seems to handle the recoil a bit better. Either one will do the job with a bit of practice. I carry in a Desentis Nemesis pocket holster, and a cheap little canvas and leather holster made by some company that I've never heard of before. Either holster works.

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Have you considered the walther PPS?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links