What 1911 45 ACP to buy?

This is a discussion on What 1911 45 ACP to buy? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There is nothing like a Colt....

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: What 1911 45 ACP to buy?

There is nothing like a Colt.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    Check out one of these,Rock Island 1911`s. Great weapons and less than $500 each. No issues!.

Does anyone have any experiences with the American Classics 1911s? They are made in the Philippines. I am going to check out RIA but will have to change sights, trigger, and tune either the RIA or American Classic 1911. I am partial to the commander size 1911 for concealed carry and general shooting.

Colt......maybe pick up a Defender or Commander.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

I really wanted a Ruger SR1911 as I was on a budget. I ordered one in July and was still waiting in December. I got impatient and purchased a Legacy Citadel Nickel plated in January. Lifetime guarantee for $600. Combat hammer, skelotinized trigger, rosewood grips, 2 mags, ambidextrious safety and all the high dollar things without the high dollar price. Brought if home completely stripped it down to the frame. Put a $30 Wilson Combat spring kit in it and it shoots like a dream. 500 rounds so far with NO ISSUES. You can spend the high dollar for a Colt or Kimber but why...?? More money does not equate to a better gun. Just my humble opinion.
    If someone points a gun at me I have a right to point one back.
    NRA, USCCA Member

For me it would be a Colt or the Dan Wesson, would lean to the Dan Wesson, seems to be a better quality product.

Pretty sure MIM stands for Made in 'Merica.

No it's Metal Injection Molding.
    Metal injection molding - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago45 View Post
    Here's the new Colt! Ran 50 rounds through it and I can say I haven't fired a better firearm!

https://plus.google.com/photos/10713...CNmF-Z_QqeSVGA

(The other ones are a S&W 627 Pro .357 Mag and a S&W Sigma .40--had to show them off.)
    Nice toys how do you like the S&W Sigma .40 I have one too bought it from my wife's uncle just mine is all black, he sold it because he said he couldn't hit anything with it and i'm just the opposite i love it

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel78 View Post
    Nice toys how do you like the S&W Sigma .40 I have one too bought it from my wife's uncle just mine is all black, he sold it because he said he couldn't hit anything with it and i'm just the opposite i love it
    Thanks Colonel. I think the Sigma .40 was a great purchase. After all it was only $300 when Bud's was having their sale a couple of months back, and that's where I got mine. I've put around 200 rounds through it. I'm not terribly accurate with it though. It could be because I'm not used to the heavy trigger pull--I shoot my 627 revolver in single action only and of course the Colt is single action as well. The last time I shot the Sigma was on Christmas day outdoors and it was around 35-40 degrees. Sometimes I was spot on and then out of nowhere I'd be 8" to the left or 6" up and to the right while shooting at 35 ft. I was beginning to believe that it just wasn't all my fault. Either way, I plan on taking it to the range tomorrow for some serious dialing-in time. I have some regular range ammo and some Speer Gold Dots I need to burn off, so I'm curious to see how it does indoors under more controlled conditions.

Overall, it's a solid gun from a solid manufacturer. It breaks down for cleaning very easily and it's a fairly compact 4" barrel semi-auto. Of course the fact that it can pop off 14+1 .40 rounds is nice too!

I'm in the market for a full-sized 1911 as well.

Went to a gun show today and tried some out. I like the Colts and Para-USAs.

I didn't like where Kimber put the mag release on the model I tried. I mistakenly released the magazine unintendedly! Is this a Kimber thing, or the model or just my hands?
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

1911 Carry 3"

I carry and highly recommend the Kimber Ultra CDP, 3" easy carry and flat as any 1911 would be. Price is up there in the $900-$1000 range (not cheap!!) but well made and reliable. Some inexpensive Armscor (Made in Phillipines) are not pretty (read 1911 basic) but at about $400.00 are known by me personally due to the many that I have sold and have heard nothing but good customer comments about, could be a good choice as long as you make sure you shoot at least 100 rounds of your carry ammo before trusting it (should be done with EVERY carry gun anyway!!) (everyone knows that right?)

Ruger SR1911 would be a great choice. Colt and Kimber are great choices too, but the ruger is about 670.00 new.

Here's a Colt Officer LW, a Rock Island Armory 1911 full size with the holsters I sometimes use
    Attached Images
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

VIP Member
    Pass on the Mimber CDP and get a Springer EMP
    Springfield Armory
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I have owned Springer, Kimber, Para, Dan Wesson and Colt. In my view, nothing beats a Colt 1911 except maybe a SIG 220.

I like Dan Wesson and Springfield. Kimbers are good if you are willing to shoot only roundnose or have the patience to fix the FTF with JHP. I have only had a highly accurized 1948 Colt so a fair comparison is not possible. After 3 trips to make it function as it should with JHP my Kimber Raptor is great. You should no forget the S&W 1911 "E" series. Mine shoots very accurate, reliable with all ammo, and is the lightweight Commander sized with a round butt.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links