Who does "Car Wheelies"??...

This is a discussion on Who does "Car Wheelies"??... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've gotten the itch to purchase another Gun. This one will be carried in my vehicle, next to my right leg in a soft case ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who does "Car Wheelies"??...

I've gotten the itch to purchase another Gun. This one will be carried in my vehicle, next to my right leg in a soft case (open top) where it could be quickly accessed, if needed. It will not be utilized "on my person" as a CCW. I've got that area pretty well covered. This weapon will be utilized strickly as an in-car weapon.

I've decided to go with a Revolver this time. The last wheely I owned was a S&W nickle plated Model 29 (44 mag) that had a 8 3/8" barrel. That was about 30 years ago. I want to keep the barrel length to 4" max. 2-3" barrel would be optimum. Preferably in S/S.

Thinking of going with a 44 mag (629?) again or possibly a 357 mag (Python?). The Bulldog looks pretty good, as does the Alaskan.

What do y'all recommend??.
    Last edited by los; August 21st, 2006 at 01:41 AM.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Assistant Administrator
    I was just planning a comment on tire wear

I would also choose something along your lines. Maybe my choice would be GP-100 4" in .357 - well adequate IMO. I do not have one and so SP-101 is casual truck revo.

Equally I might put in my 4" M28-2 or M629-6 but neither is a gun I want to receive spoiling externally.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Chris's choices, the GP-100 and the SP 101 are hard to beat, and if it is staying with the vehicle, no matter how protected, I wouldn't use say a Python. My Taurus 605 sometimes pulls this duty, and I currently don't have any other wheelies on my permit. The Taurus Tracker is another possibility.
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11? (Yuri Orlov [Nicolas Cage] Lord of War)

Hard to reload a revolver while driving. My choice would be a full size 40 or 45 service pistol with 1/2 JHP and 1/2 FMJ. More rounds, easy to load more bang for your buck.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Quote Originally Posted by MNBurl View Post
    ...Hard to reload a revolver while driving.
    I would think it'd be just as hard to reload an Auto[while driving]. Speed loaders would make it a little easier, I would think. Not really sure I'd want to contemplate reloading while in the course and scope of operating a vehicle?

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    I have a 5-inch 629 in .44 mag. I have used it as a road-trip gun for some time. It works nicely. If I run out of bullets, I can use it as a skull opener.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

If it were something I would leave in the car when I went somewere (as it sounds) I would probably get something cheap just in case it got stolen. If it were to be a revolver it would probably be something like one of these rossi's. From what I understand they are made by Taurus:

http://www.academy.com/index.php?pag...fire_revolvers

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I get the impression you're thinking about having one on the person and the other always in the car? Would you be leaving a loaded weapon in the car alot? A little? If I'm going into a place I can't carry and have to disarm and leave it in the vehicle it makes me paranoid until I get back. Does it bother anyone else?

Well, I think just about any weapon you like would be okay for the car since you don't have the concealability issues. I love the looks of 4" .357 revo's but don't have one. I would want a smooth light pull on the trigger though. I've handled older S&W's and boy what a difference in pull betweem them and the newer ones. Of course size could be a factor in how you stow it.

A good .357 snubbie would also be good due to the confined space and short shooting distances when in a vehicle. It would make it a bit easier to put in the glove box or under the seat and face it, in the close environment of a car/truck, we don't need a 6" revolver

Yup, maybe a nice 41 or 44 magnum, all steel (since you don't have to carry it around) snubbie (not ported)?

Good Luck

Gideon

In the not too distant past , was trying to make a decision on a gun

to carry in my vehicle. I wanted ... full size , good stopping power and

something fairly reasonable priced ... just in case in got stolen. I

finally chose a Rock Island Armory 1911 in .45 acp

The only drawback is a wish it had more ammo capacity . The only

alternative would be one of the ridiculously long magazines, can't

see that so I just keep extra mags handy.
    A LTTLE TRAINING IS A DANGEROUS THING ....

VIP Member
    How about a Stainless 2" S&W 686 .357?
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Get a Police trade in M-65 you will, it sounds like have you carry gun for a New York reload. I would think about firing a magnum from inside the car though...

http://www.jgsales.com/index.php/han...cPath/16_148(a bunch of used RUGER Autos under 300.00)

http://www.southernohiogun.com/surplushandguns.html

http://www.odcmp.com/ (where we should be able to by surplus 1911s)

http://www.summitgunbroker.com/1223464.html

CDNN has a website but they do not list their guns there. You need to look at their monthly flyer .

Rob
    simplyrugged.com

Get Trained Go Armed.

“Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival.”
    Winston Churchill

I would suggest SS because of changes in temp and humidity- less maintenance the better.
    +1 for Taurus and The SP101
    Two of my favorite responses:
    "What is it about gun control laws that makes you feel safe?"
    "For the same reason I always wear my seatbelt."

Since the wife went from S&W model 60LS to Sig 239 I keep the revolver in my truck loaded with the short barrel gold dots, a speed strip of +P Winchester hollow points, and a speed loader with .357 hollow points.

Quote Originally Posted by saltysquid View Post
    If it were something I would leave in the car when I went somewere (as it sounds) I would probably get something cheap just in case it got stolen. If it were to be a revolver it would probably be something like one of these rossi's. From what I understand they are made by Taurus:

http://www.academy.com/index.php?pag...fire_revolvers
    Good advise and it's something I'll definitely consider when I purchase the Revo. My vehicle stays in a secured location at work. It's almost always garaged when i'm home. The only exposure to a possible theft would be when i'm away running errands on the week-end.

Perhaps a good idea to start locking it up in the Trunk on those occasions when it's left parked at the Mall.

BTW, the Rossi is looking pretty good. Thanks for the Link.

I'm having a big problem struggling between a 44 and a 357. I really don't know why,... as either caliber would suffice!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links