Charter Arms 38 special DAO

This is a discussion on Charter Arms 38 special DAO within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Good morning folks, I am looking for some feed back on these guns. They seems very reasonably priced look like they would be a nice ...

Thread: Charter Arms 38 special DAO

Charter Arms 38 special DAO

Good morning folks,

I am looking for some feed back on these guns. They seems very reasonably priced look like they would be a nice back up gun or primary carry gun with light clothing.

If have one could you give me some feedback please. Of course I am looking for good bad and indifferent.

2. Remove Ads

EdC
    I've owned them. First one I got, the hammer block broke twice. The end just snapped off like some cheap brittle pot metal. Charter fixed it the first time. It broke again, same problem, and they replaced the gun. The hammer block on the replacement gun broke. Haven't sent it off to get it fixed yet, it's just been hanging around my safe for some time.

Talked to the folks at Charter, who swear they weren't having lots of problems with this.

That's just been my experience. IMHO the difference in cost between the Charter and a S&W 442/642 isn't worth going with a Charter, and you can find decent deals on used Smiths.

I've got an Off Duty and I really like it. I currently own 4 Charters and have not had any issues with them.

I have had 2 charter arms 38 specials ,,,,,, size great,,, but I
    don't have any now. Anymore questions.

Danimal is that a AO front site? Did it come with that?

Anyone got the 44 special?

How is the muzzle flip with +P?

Not sure why those are desirable when there are the S&W 442/642's out there that are tried and true with holsters and other accessories abound.

Wel I am not in a position to debate but the price is one serious consideration. They seem simple and just as compact but I glean all this from the Charter Arms website. That's why I am asking. Thanks for the feed back.

I have a On Duty and it has been a great gun, they are a little smaller and lighter than their equivalent S&W models.
    My mother has the gun now, after several hundred rounds, the trigger smoothed out and lightened up so she can shoot it double action much better than the all steel 38 she had.

Here is my initial review of the gun, since then, it has fired hundreds of rounds, at lot of them +p with no problems.

Cheap Jungle Boots

Quote Originally Posted by Ramjet View Post
    Danimal is that a AO front site? Did it come with that?

Anyone got the 44 special?

How is the muzzle flip with +P?
    It's an XS Standard Dot. I sent it to Magnaport to have them mill off the front ramp and install the XS. If you look closely at the second picture, you can see my .44 Spec. that got the same treatment. That one wears an XS Big Dot though. Muzzle flip with +P isn't that bad. It shoots to point of aim with 158 grain lswchp's over 4.5 grains of Unique.

J Frame holsters fit these as well, so that's a moot point. Do Smiths have better finishes? Yes. And I own many Smith revos, and Rugers as well. For some reason I just like Charter revos, and wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    I have never owned a Charter firearm and have always looked over them thinking they were cheap. This is only my mindset and certainly not a solid verifiable position. I have thought several times about purchasing one just to remove what might be my own ignornace. With that being said, just a few dollars more and then the S&W offerings come into play which always seem to retain their value.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

I have a couple old school Charters, a .44spl and a stainless snub .38. I trust them and I have a lot of rounds downrange with the .44. The new ones are second-tier quality from what I've seen. Better than some, but not top of the line.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Links