That's my girl...

That's my girl...

This is a discussion on That's my girl... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently told my daughter that I would like her to consider getting her CHL when she turns 21 in April. Her reply was, "Only ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: That's my girl...

That's my girl...

I recently told my daughter that I would like her to consider getting her CHL when she turns 21 in April. Her reply was, "Only if you buy me my own gun." Gotta love it!! That being said, we both went to a gun show this past weekend and looked at what is available. I know everyone has their own opinion and I'd like to hear them about the below:

Keep in mind that the primary purpose is as a personal defense weapon.
    1. Her first gun should be a revolver - less complicated and eliminates limp wristing concern
    2. Really liked the Ruger LCR in .38 special +P
    A. Double action - yes harder trigger pull but being hammerless would lessen chance it would get hung up in her purse.
    B. Light weight - for obvious reasons
    C. Suitable caliber - nothing less is acceptable
    D. Fit her hand and balanced nicely - S&W grips too small, not impressed with Taurus. Bursa not a name I recognize.
    3. Anything else "out there" that should really be looked at.
    rogertc1, Cyngen and Buckj like this.
    "To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society" - Theodore Roosevelt

USAF 1986 - 1995
    Glock 23 2008 - Present

VIP Member
    Congrats.

There are too many good guns out there for me to suggest any particular one, and what would work best for her. Finding a range where she can rent some is worth the time. However, I will suggest that a snubbie (LCR) is for more advanced shooters, not beginners.

Be sure some good training comes with that gun too.

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Congratulations,

I will be at the LGS 30 Jan with my 21 year old son to pay for his first gun. He is getting the paper work together so he can apply for his CHP on the 30th also.

I agree that snubbies aren't necessarily well suited for beginners. But, if she doesn't mind the recoil then it's worth seeing how she does with follow up shots and combat accuracy.

- Sent via Tapatalk on Android -

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Her first handgun should have NO input by you. Find a female with range time or a female range officer or just a female that lives firearms to help her pick what works for her, not you. First the firearm has to fit her hand then she has to be comfortable shooting it. If you don't know what bersa is ??? really. Great pistols.

My youngest girl ended up takeing and shooting darn near all of my handguns and a few of a buddies and his wifes with my buddies wife. She ended up picking a small 380 bersa out so I went and bought her the 380 bersa thunder she wanted. You pay for the firearm and even pay for range time trying a few rental guns but don't pick out here gun. If she picks it, she will shoot it.

You don't know there are many different size grips for most ever revolver, old school serves type 2 finger 3 finger ,wood ,soft rubber and custom. Like these- Getting a Grip

I have an lcr that I like but it is in .22lr. o would not hesitate to buy one in a larger caliber

I am glad to see some more people my age are getting into carrying. most people my age seem to not care or laugh at the idea.

I would suggest a DAO semi-auto for a first handgun. I understand your thought on a revolver but I have found that with more recoil, comes less interest in learning to shoot well. Just my opinion, but I think a DAO semi-auto is much easier to shoot, lightweight, and reliable(glock, S@W, Springfield)

Take her to the range and rent one. Only she will know if it is comfortable and will work.

Tim

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    a good instructor will be able to fit a few guns to a person based on their lifestyle, manor of dress (or as a job may require) physical attributes and level of proficiency.

many comments are to seek a female instructor, and while that may seem intuitive, there a some male instructors who 'get it'.
    net work with friends who have made the trip already and check out the NRA for other referrals.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
    Her first handgun should have NO input by you. Find a female with range time or a female range officer or just a female that lives firearms to help her pick what works for her, not you. First the firearm has to fit her hand then she has to be comfortable shooting it. If you don't know what bersa is ??? really. Great pistols.

My youngest girl ended up takeing and shooting darn near all of my handguns and a few of a buddies and his wifes with my buddies wife. She ended up picking a small 380 bersa out so I went and bought her the 380 bersa thunder she wanted. You pay for the firearm and even pay for range time trying a few rental guns but don't pick out here gun. If she picks it, she will shoot it.

You don't know there are many different size grips for most ever revolver, old school serves type 2 finger 3 finger ,wood ,soft rubber and custom. Like these- Getting a Grip
    Thanks for the input hardluk1. Good advice and I assure you and everyone else I am not "picking" out the gun for her. I suggested she start with a revolver but what she gets will be up to her. She held the guns, she will shoot it before buying, she will be sure it is a good fit. I am overseeing but my experience in this limited which is why I asked for input. She does very well shooting my Glock 23 which is .40 cal but knowing her, I can't see her carrying it CCW. Thanks again everyone!

I would like more info as to why snubbies would not be a good starter pistol. I realize its effective range is rather short...is this the reason?
    "To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society" - Theodore Roosevelt

USAF 1986 - 1995
    Glock 23 2008 - Present

Snubbies aren't good pistols for beginners because they kick like a mule. This is especially true if using a self defense load in +P. This leads into bad habits like flinching. This also will also make one less likely to practice with it and become profecient with her pistol. The semi will have a higher magazine capacity and softer recoil. She will be able to get quicker follow up shots and shoot longer than with the revolver. Crime today has generally involved more than one suspect these days and most 38 snubbies only have 5 shots.

I've been shooting pistols for quite a while now and when I tried my friend's snub nose 38 it kicked worse than my 40 cal. Plus it was hard to hit a target at 21 feet. IF she can handle and likes your G23 then maybe a G26 or G27 would be a good bet for her. She already knows how to operate the Glock platform. To assume a beginner and a beginner female can't handle a semi is insulting to their intelligence. I had some experience shooting before I bought my first pistol but not a lot. I ended up buying a H&K USPC in 40. I loved it. I had no problem learning mag changes or malfunction drills. Many of today's semis are just as reliable as a revolver. If you get a striker fired pistol there will be no hammer to snag on clothing or a purse. If you take the grips off of a revolver and look at all the springs inside they are not as simple as people make them out to be.

Also be mindful of the little 380s. They also tend to kick a lot do to their small size. Personally I feel a 380 is too weak for a primary carry gun, I wouldn't go smaller than a 9mm.

I recently had talks with my adult daughters (7 grandchildren between them), and my wife, regarding their personal safety, and their responsibility to protect their children to the best of their ability. They lean towards pepper spray, and I am trying to convince them to get a permit and pack a pistol. My reasoning is simple. Pepper spray may work on one bg, but what if there are two or three? Anyone with experience regarding this argument? I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    mostly if you are going to carry daily you will find that having 3 guns to choose from allows a wider variation as the seasons change and you dress differently. also differences in dress, formal, dressy, informal, play...

to start my daughter off when she left for VA were a Bersa Thunder, Kel-Tek P380 and a S&W 642 no lock

these were her choices, along with a purse carry and a few custom holsters cut to fit her form for comfort and easy access.
    the 642 grips were also carved by me to fit her hand for a natural point and shoot grip. proper fit tames the re-coil also

158 LSWC are for the 642, silvertips for the others and JRN for all 3 in the winter.

she has been shooting these guns since she was 14. for someone new to shooting i recommend a revolver for a number of reasons--
    once you have learned the grip, it is a point and shoot device; no external safeties

the semis require a bit more learning before they become second nature
    --learn to drive an auto and than a stick-shift kinda way to think about it.

many people have successfully defended themselves with little or no training with a semi-auto; its just that sans training
    your chances of success increase when the equipment is simpler to operate

also, with a revolver...after you have discharged it and if you do not need to fire it again, you do nothing.
    a semi needs that you safe it, some with a decocker ; though striker fired models are like a revolver in this way.
    but will someone with little or no knowledge of firearms know this?

as it goes to safety, again my choice is the revolver as the person is up and operational with it with less training.

recoil of the 642 is sharp for a new comer so use LWC's or Cowboy loads to start off.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I have an LCR in 38. My wife had a little trouble with the recoil, and did not care for it. I purchased another LCR chambered for 357. The extra 4 ounces helped her tremendously.

My wife is smaller gal shoots some but not as much as me.

The first gun I had her try was the scandium J frame with 38 special. Terrible terrible results.

Double action she was all,over the place. Her confidence was in major decline.

So I got the 22 out let her shoot a bunch she regained her confidence. Shooting was fun again and she was very accurate.

I am not a fan as the 22lr as defensive gun. She agrees. So the search was on. A gun that handled like a 22 but was effective for self defense. I bought her a FNH 5.7 x 28. We trained on the draw and safety manipulation. She shot under stress and target shot without. stress. Her performance was out standing her confidence just continued to grow. Then She had to shoot her qualification rounds-for CCW. She was really nervous and according to her more stressed out than she has ever been. Lots of other folks standing around watching added to her stress. During this qualification she handled the gun like a seasoned veteran. She had one shot outside the 10 ring it was on the edge. She blew the doors off the times each round. I have her target It was great shooting. This is a full size gun but she has such confidence in it and with self defense ammo available and a 20 round mag this has been the best gun for CCW she could have. The instructor who tested her said that she shot better than 95% of the men he qualified in the last month.

I am just relating this story to give you some perspective you can glean from it what you will.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links