Looking for opinions on two very different pistols.

This is a discussion on Looking for opinions on two very different pistols. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm in the market for a new pistol for cc. I'm leaning real hard on the Glock 36 and S&W 6906. I like the large ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I'm in the market for a new pistol for cc. I'm leaning real hard on the Glock 36 and S&W 6906. I like the large diamiter of the .45, but also like the size of the 6906 and all the positive words I've heard about them.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MHWASH View Post
    I like the large diamiter of the .45, but also like the size of the 6906 and all the positive words I've heard about them.
    I like the way you say that as if Glocks don't get any praise
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Well, there seems to be a lot less chat about the 36 than on the S&W 6909 and it's ilk.

If you can, compare a Glock 30 to the 36. I'm *this* close to getting a G30 myself. When I held both in my hand, I didn't feel much difference between the two. I would only carry it OWB, so the extra thickness of the G30 isn't an issue. You get a rail for a tac light (good for home defense) and an extra 4 rounds - plus you can use G21 mags for extra capacity reloads.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    If you can, compare a Glock 30 to the 36. I'm *this* close to getting a G30 myself. When I held both in my hand, I didn't feel much difference between the two. I would only carry it OWB, so the extra thickness of the G30 isn't an issue. You get a rail for a tac light (good for home defense) and an extra 4 rounds - plus you can use G21 mags for extra capacity reloads.
    That is exactly the progression I went through on the way to acquiring my G30 (and later my G30SF, as the G30 is ever so slightly too big for my hand; the G30SF is a perfect fit).

Yea, I thought about the G30SF version...but Crimson Trace does not make a laser for it...so the regular G30 it will be.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I have considered the G30, as I already have a G29, But I really want something a bit thinner, and lighter. I compared the Karh cw45 to the Glock and although the Kahr felt slightly better in my hand, tne G36 was just enough shorter to sway me that way.

A G36 is my EDC. An excellent choice for me, but it is a personal choice nonetheless. It was all a caliber and size issue for me, as I also have other Glocks. Good luck.

I also have the Glock-36 as my EDC.
    I have four other Glocks, too, but the '36' is perfect for me.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

the s&w 6906 was discontinued in 1999 so it will be used if you get one

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    A Glock is a Glock so the 36 is a fine handgun. The S&W 6906 as all the 3rd Generation S&W's are very well made, extremely reliable and highly respected handguns. CDNN has had nice police trade-in 6906 and 5906 models for sale recently.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

sgb
    I've shot the G 36 and found it to be a very unpleasant gun to shoot. On the other hand my S&W 6906 shoots very easy and very well.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I own a glock 23 and a 6906. the 6906 was my first handgun besides my grandmother baby browning. Glock is a great gun, if shtf and I could only have one firearm I would choose my g23. the 6906 has been a great gun, every1 that picks it up love the feel of the hogue grips on it. and the 6906 go pretty cheap used for what you get. cdnn usually has them for less than $350. great trigger for a DA/SA

Senior Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    big fan of S&W Semi Auto's while not as popular as todays light weight tupperware guns
    they are loads of fun to shoot and IMO better in many ways...G36 is my least fav of all
    the glocks but I dont see a comparison.....Ones a heavy metal 9 and ones a Poly 45...
    I do like the G26s and 27s and think they are excellent CCWs and lighter than the S&W

VIP Member
    Welcome from Virginia.

My caliber of choice is .45.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links