Kahr concealed carry for running/jogging

This is a discussion on Kahr concealed carry for running/jogging within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey everyone new member from GA here. I might not find anyone who can answer this but maybe someone out there. Does anybody carry a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Kahr concealed carry for running/jogging

Kahr concealed carry for running/jogging

Hey everyone new member from GA here. I might not find anyone who can answer this but maybe someone out there. Does anybody carry a Kahr Pm/Cm 9 or 40 while jogging or exercising? I am extremely close to purchasing one of these guns soon as well as trying to see when the cm40 will be available but, does anyone carry one of these pistols and I really would like 40 but the extra 3 ounces or so trying to jog with might add up after some miles. I don't want to go less than 9mm so I would like to here any and all input on this and if you do how you carry in this situation. Thank you all and God Bless. Jeff

2. Remove Ads

This looks like it might be a good solution? anyone tried this? or a good leg holster under the shorts?

I sometimes carry my Kahr MK-9 (all steel) when jogging. I have found the best solution to be the "Smart Carry" very comfortable and the pistol stays put. And if you are wearing jogging shorts or sweat pants the pistol is very easy to access.
    Guns Have Only Two Enemies: Rust and Politicians.

I'd say it depends on where you're jogging.

o Ideal - jogging from home with a friend in a safe area, pack a cell phone, water, camera, flashlight, and in your dominant hand pepperspray. That keeps you safe from animals.

o Necessary - jogging from your car alone where you have to drive to the location and you'll naturally be armed - same as above, but if jogging in a place where you can see your car - such as an oval track at a college/HS, leave firearm in car.

o Acceptable - jogging alone, can't see car (parking in a lot and doing a loop), same as above, but pack your BUG. Why? You shouldn't be picking super dangerous places to jog anyway. Why? If you're on foot, out of breath, jogging with traffic, a van can pull up behind you and hit you, grab you and pull you inside, and if wearing tunes, or concentrating going up a hill - you'll never be able to stop it, or access your firearm.

o Worst case - jogging in a bad area, alone, against traffic, in a city with lots of pedestrians, witnesses, it's better to run out of danger. Only carry if you are not jogging from home. Pepper spray in hand is still more accessible than a BUG, due to instant point and shoot. Only carry if you have to park and ride then jog, and mostly because I intensely dislike leaving my firearm in the car.

Just off the top of my head, it's just so hard to access, deploy, acquire the target, on the move. You have to stop, seek cover or concealment and if you're doing that you're not moving. If you jog with a buddy, wear reflective gear, both hand carry (camera and pepper spray) it's almost 100% certain you'll never need a firing solution. If you do you probably could have picked a better place to jog.

I've tried it jogging, biking, walking with a push cart loaded with weights, and I've never been able to access my firearm (in simulations) and keep one hand busy pushing, steering, digging in my pants for a handgun quickly enough to make a difference that I couldn't have done by keeping going or turning around. Most people wear an MP3 player when jogging so they can't use their ears to sense danger.

Finally - sweat + metal parts of a fiream=rust.

I'm sure this is an incomplete or debatable analysis and I do try to carry 100% in home, in car and out. I'm only disarmed when swimming and showering, and when doing the machines at the gym (when I often have my eyes closed). I WANT to carry and deploy when exercising, but it's just never worked for me...

YMMV, FWIW.

VIP Member
    Sure, I run with a PM9 occasionally, but more often with a Glock 19. I wear my regular set-up, a Brommeland Max-Con V on a Wilderness Instructor belt. It all goes around a pair of cargo shorts and a-shirt, under a t-shirt. Same thing when I am bicycling. No problems.

Thanks for the feedback, I do believe there are safer places to exercise than others, but saying that I believe no place is 100% safe. Although you have public school facilities with nice tracks etc., I have seen random strangers hanging out under bleachers and parking lots, 90% likely just kids skipping class but you can't be sure. Recently in the past 30 days there has been a rash of burglaries in nice neighborhoods in the area, ours included. Then on Monday morning someone took a crowbar to my girlfriends' parents' garage door and tried to bust in only to notice both cars in garage and take off. These are quiet peaceful neighborhoods so since I run about 4 miles daily around the block I feel justified to carry my handgun and just filed for my carry permit last week. Who knows this economy isn't helping a lot of ppl times are tough and they need their drug money? so saying that I've seen the smart carry and I'm not sure about the muzzle of a gun bouncing against my testicles every step not allowing me to have babies one day, I dunno maybe more who have tried it can give some input. Anyway thanks for the feedback guys and keep it coming.

The Original Belly Band - Master Of Concealment.com, anyone tried this undertech undercover for running or something like it?

I would consider the CW 9 and the belly band that is good choice. Hold the weapon secure and up higher but the access is very good and quick.

To the above poster suggesting that you cannot get your gun? Not true and a gun away from you is one that cannot protect you from a threat to your life or bodily harm. Practice dry fire drills for excess and to be prepared for quicker draw. Leaving your gun at home or in the car is not an option if you committed to self defense and CCW.

I have carried my CW9 in a SmartCarry while working out at the gym. Works just fine so a CM9 should work even better for this as it is smaller.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I trail run and wear a Pistol Wear PT-2 with a PM9. Very secure, however; I do not carry with one in the chamber when running.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by semperfi.45 View Post
    ... Very secure, however; I do not carry with one in the chamber when running.
    Why not? Would you be more trusting in a hammer fired pistol?

I jog with my CM9 in a belly band.

I dont think there is a better setup for jogging.

I am more concerned with 4 legged critters where I jog, like Coyotes and stray dogs.

If I carried while I worked out in a gym, I may find a safer gym.
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

Quote Originally Posted by Doghandler View Post
    Why not? Would you be more trusting in a hammer fired pistol?
    With the occasional face first wipe outs, I just prefer not to have one in there. I only run 1/2 mile on road to get to the trail head and then it's 23,000 acres of just me and some critters. I'm not trusting any handgun pointing at or near my junk unless it's in a traditional holster.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

I looks like with the pt2 you could put it in a remora holster or similar and protect the trigger as well as secure the position of the grip wherever you would like.
    gun_bushido likes this.

Terrible tragedy out west lady joggin the body was found. What more do you need especially ladies carry protect yourself jogging, biking it all can be done with safety and with security. Use your head use your training.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links