Sig 238 HD vs Emp 9mm

Sig 238 HD vs Emp 9mm

This is a discussion on Sig 238 HD vs Emp 9mm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm on the fence with this one. Love the fact that the Sig 238 is small a (.380) and can go most places with me. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Sig 238 HD vs Emp 9mm

Sig 238 HD vs Emp 9mm

I'm on the fence with this one. Love the fact that the Sig 238 is small a (.380) and can go most places with me. I'd get it with the extended mag. But the Emp is cheaper to shoot and feels like my Kimber .45. Feels good in my chunky hands. I have to take a advanced pistol course... hit a 9 inch pie from 30 feet 9 out of 10 times in 40 sec and a chest target 8 out of 20 at 45 feet in 40 sec. Double taps and 6 shots in 6 sec etc. Wanna get a carry gun and practice till I take the course. Is a 238 accurate enough for the job. I really like the size and feel it will cause me to have a higher percentage of carry. Or do some of you feel the EMP has better accuracy and is small enough to carry comfortably. I'm a bigger guy and think the smaller gun may work better. Thoughts? Thanks,
    Tim

I traded in my p238 for an emp . 40 glad I did. I liked the sig it was very accurate with nice sights. The recoil was very mild and easy to control. The only problem was its a. 380. I never did feel completely confident in it, size wise. It functioned great the only problem was with mag-tec hollow points.

As for the emp my perfect edc I even shot it last weekend at a IDPA match I did real well. It has ben perfectly flawless, and fun to shoot. I will not sell or trade the EMP ever.

I might however get another p238 this summer.

VIP Member
    ***WARNING - Personal opinion - May not apply to anyone else!***

Smaller may be better for cell phones and laptop computers, but for firearms smaller is not the be all and end all. Certainly smaller is excellent for pocket carry and deep, deep concealment, no arguments. But, for shooting at more than 5-10 yards, you are putting yourself at a disadvantage.

Can that Sig reach out that far? Of course it can. The question is, can YOU do it with the Sig?

Regarding your concern about carrying more often with the Sig, you may be over thinking it. Respectfully, if the difference in size/weight between these two is the difference between you carrying or not, you may need to re-think your priorities regarding self defense.

Everyone has their own philosophy regarding carrying. Personally, I want to carry the largest handgun I can get away with.

Good luck with your decision!
    ironmike86 and Bark'n like this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Love my Sig P238 HD. It can get the job done with excellent sights and I have heard good things about the EMP 9mm. The Sig is really my back up gun to my 45. My wife sometimes carries the Sig P238 as her only gun.
    Laus Deo

Those who are willing to trade freedom for security will have neither.
    You alone are responsible for your defense.

.380 vs 9mm? And the 9mm feels good in your hands.........I think ya got the answer

JD
    Administrator
    Keep in mind that Sig is coming out with an scaled up version on the 238, the 938 in 9mm, we should be seeing it released next week @ SHOT.

As it stands now, EMP hands down. My 238 was very accurate and I shot it very well even at moderate distances but it's no EMP. The 938 may be a different story all together.

VIP Member
    There is no doubt that the EMP is the way to go. I love my EMP 40, it's superb. They also cost a great deal more then the little Sig.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Is this something you have to have right now or can you wait? If you can wait I'd hold off and see how the new 9mm sig based upon the P238 holds up in the next year and then revisit the topic. The difference between the EMP and my CCO style Sig1911 isn't that much so what are you gaining over your Kimber? I actually don't get the P238HD b/c part of the allure of the P238 for me is its lightweight for deep concealment, and its not like the normal weight P238 kicks much at all. I have a p238 and it is just as accurate as any of my other pistols, no problems shooting one hole groups if I do my job and generally more accurate than I am capable of. I looked at the EMP very long and hard when I was looking for a larger EDC than my P238. I had problems with the minimal capacity with a long grip length on the EMP, and the fact that I don't shoot it "that" much faster than I do a 1911. The EMP with its slam pads on the magazine is basically the same size as a bobtailed 1911, but with a short barrell (and the barrell doesn't show when you conceal IWB). Then you also have .380 vs 9mm if you ever have the unfortunate circumstance to have to use your firearm in a self defense situation.

Thanks for the input everyone. maybe I'll wait for the 938 to show it's head. I'm guessing that it will still take most of the year to fix any problems it may have like it did sorting out issues with the 238's.
    Tim

And don't forget the new SIG P224. About the same size as the EMP but with 11 round double stack mag. THe P224 is only 1.3 inch wide compared to the .380 Sig 238 at 1.1 inch with only 6 .380 rounds.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Just checked out 938 video on another thread. Nice size. May kick a bit. Who knows.

But the Emp is cheaper to shoot
    Wow... the EMP costs $500 more than the 238, but it's cheaper to shoot. I'm too tired to do the math, but I'll guess you'd have to shoot about 5000 rounds thru the EMP to reach the break-even point. I don't know what your shooting volume is, but my guess is that the motivated audience here on DC probably averages less than 2000 rounds a year total, much less thru one single gun. My point is simply this: the cost difference between 9mm and .380 ammo should not be a factor in deciding which gun to buy!

The other thing, as others have pointed out, is that the 238 is truly a pocket pistol, and the EMP is not (although invariably some will say they carry it in the pocket). I see those guns as filling different roles. I'd try to get some trigger time with each before investing. Personally, I'd go for the EMP for more punch and the better control a larger gun affords.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

One person's experience

Saw this discussion and wanted to share my experience for the benifit of others. Recently moving to AL & obtaining a CCW lic last summer I wanted something smaller than my full size 1911 TRP. I went on a buy and try experiment with the requirements of small imprint for summer wear and larger for the winter. All related to the temperature and amount of clothing. The other requirement was that I did not want to stray from my muscle memory and natural reaction to being a 100% 1911 user.
    So after much research I compromised with the 380 Walther PPK. Although it was someting new and the size fit my summer carry desires, I did not like the internal detail quality machine work of this American made product. Is far from the reputation of German Craftsmanship that I thought I would get. And it was difficult to become at ease with the smaller grip. Shot well generating a nice grouping.
    My next buy was the Sig P 238 which had all the 1911 features. It was a higher rated (in my book) product in the areas of quality and 1911 type similar features. Was a close and comfortable fit. My issues are the uncomfortable lack of hand grasp. Could not get used to 2 fingers on the grip even with the extended Mag. Shot well and also produced a nice grouping. Did have trouble with ammo other than FMJ.
    Setting off on more research while waiting for my Nighthawk Talon II Bobtail (Winter carry) I almost bought the Colt 9mm Defender. Before laying down the plastic, the salesman showed me the Springfield 9mm EMP. After looking at the workmanship, fit, and function I bought the EMP. Have put 60 rounds through it and have been happy so far. Really like the feel, grip, accuracy, and larger caliber. Need more time with it a final decision.
    Still have my Sig and will use it around the house in a convient location. The PPK was traded for the EMP and have no regrets other than loosing the doe in the trade.

sgb
    Without question I'd go with the EMP
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

IMO, they are apples and oranges.
    The Sig is a pocket pistol, light, small.
    The EMP is more comparable to the Springfield Micro in .45.

Both are great guns. The EMP is too pricey, i think.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links