Kahr 124 gr +p 9mm or 165gr 40 s&w

This is a discussion on Kahr 124 gr +p 9mm or 165gr 40 s&w within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys I'm still trying to decide between a kahr pm/cm9 or the pm/cm 40, the 40 is only .05" longer and .04" thicker so ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Guest1
  • 2 Post By matthew03

Thread: Kahr 124 gr +p 9mm or 165gr 40 s&w

Kahr 124 gr +p 9mm or 165gr 40 s&w

Hey guys I'm still trying to decide between a kahr pm/cm9 or the pm/cm 40, the 40 is only .05" longer and .04" thicker so practically the same size. I believe this is the smallest 40 s&w and I shot one at the range and it is awesome firepower to fit in your front pocket! along with the very manageable recoil for a 40 this size,(thanks to some of kahrs 7 patents in the gun) The bullets I listed are what I will probably use for carry in one or the other, the 9 is quicker to acquire sights in rapid fire but I shot great groups with the 40 with 180 gr loads in rapid fire, at 7yds they were in a 8 inch group not great but this was the first time with this weapon and it was as fast as I could pull the trigger. I believe with practice and a lighter load I could definitely get better. Has anyone compared these two guns with using +p in the 9mm. I think I'm really trying to decide the fact that the 9mm has one more round and reading stories like ppl shot 5 times in the chest and missing every single vital organ makes me want that one more round, but I know also 9mm deflect from bone aka ribs. As you can tell I'm in a pickle!

2. Remove Ads

I would stick with the 9mm,seems like you might miss vitals with an 8" group with the .40,little better control with the 9mm.
    gottabkiddin likes this.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    if the one more round is a comfort to you...go that way, but

chance favors that if you don't go stupid places and do stupid things with stupid people and
    you practice SA---you will go through life never having pulled the trigger in defense of self.

some people do have need of their gun cause chance also allows that bad things happen;
    and that event may include you.

so, practice, and again: if one more round is what you want--do it.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

thanks for the feedback, I looked all over to find a place to rent a pm40 and found it and only got to shoot 50 rounds through it, so I decided to try with the largest load so I would know a lighter load would have less recoil, it was pending sale. this was the first time shooting this 40 and if you've personally seen one you know how small it is, if you haven't and you want a reliable pocket gun in a larger caliber than 9mm, the pm/cm 40 is innovation at its finest for pocket pistols. I really like the 40 but I'm also open to hear from others who have shot both guns and tried different loads. Thanks and God Bless.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    I shot the 9mm GD 124gr+P is my everday CC piece in both a cm9 or cw9. I also shoot a friends cw40 and to me I can double tap faster and accruately doing it with the 9mm. But you need to really try to shoot both in like sized pistols to deside for your self.

I have a TP45 larger frame than my CW9 but I shoot the TP slightly better at the range. Bigger grip may be the reason.

But for everyday carry the CW9 fits the bill. But for quick stress fire drills I shoot the 9 better. I shoot 115 grain Hornady critical defense. I love the TP45 bit when it comes down to every day use the jury is still out. So buy both shoot them allot then you will carry them both based on the day.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Either will get the job done. There is so little difference between the standard SD calibers (9mm, .40 S&W, .357 Sig, .45 auto, etc.), use whatever you like best, the bad guy isn't going to know the difference.
    surefire7 and MattInFla like this.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    I have the CM9 and enjoy it immensely. This is obviously subjective, but I find that it has less recoil than my G19, and assume it's due to the very stiff recoil spring. I would say you could go with either and be very happy, I personally like the 9mm because of the cheap cost of ammo.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Every common handgun cartridge has stories of needing multiple shots to secure a stop. I will never have a "one shot stop" with a handgun. If I ever need to defend myself or family, rest assured that I will be unhooking a LOT of lead in one big hurry, be it a 9 or a 45.

As far as your load choices, I run both. My 9s get Ranger T 124 +Ps, and my 40 gets 165 grain Gold Dots, although I do have a few hundred rounds of Ranger T 180s. My local guy has a lot of Ranger ammo that he sells for a very good price.

Which one can you shoot the fastest and most accurately ?? That's the one to go with.

I do better shooting a .357 than 9mm, so it takes precedent, but I still carry a 9 mm at times. Personally, never liked the .40, I'ld stay with a .45 myself before going to a .40 because I like the .45's and shoot well with them. But, that's just my preferences.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I pocket carry a CM9 with Corbon DPX........ Awesome gun, awesome bullet. I tested it in milk jugs with wetpack and denim, and for me it out performed a few other more popular JHP rounds

I carry this pistol when I dont have the time or attire to strap on the M&P 45 Compact
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

Links