45 auto carry the good bad and the ugly

This is a discussion on 45 auto carry the good bad and the ugly within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been driving myself nuts trying to decide how and what I want to carry. I plan on getting my CC permit maybe today. ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: 45 auto carry the good bad and the ugly

45 auto carry the good bad and the ugly

I have been driving myself nuts trying to decide how and what I want to carry. I plan on getting my CC permit maybe today. I recently asked about pocket pistols however I would rather have something with more firepower for my primary carry.

I think I will go with a IWB holster and a smart carry so i can carry different ways based on dress. My sig p228 prints a bit to much in my jeans where the smart carry would hold it. L frame S&W 357 not as bad.
    I am not sure how well the SC holster masks the gun print. I was just sticking them in to see if they would work with my jeans. Unloaded of course.

I love the looks of a 1911 model however I have seen so many posts regarding many reliability issues. Kimbers seem to have a lot. I don't want to pay an arm and leg for something I cant trust. I like the looks of the ultra carry but it just seems to have too many issues.

I am not a big fan of Glocks their ugly IMO however I have had the opportunity to shoot both the the large frame 10mm and the 40 g23. I shot very well with both. I don't like the 10 because its too big for my hands. the 23 felt good. Both guns functioned flawlessly shooting cheap ammo and reloads.

I am considering the G30 as my primary carry.

What do you guys concealed carry in a 45 caliber? I'm 5'9'' tall 150 pounds.

2. Remove Ads

I carry a Glock 36 and I love it. Easy to carry in any dress code, I love it.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Glock 36, 30SF, 31, 32, 21 Gen4 - Carry guns
    Ruger Mini-14 and Remington 870 by the bed both wearing Surefire lights.
    Always carry a knife-they are handy to have
    Always carry a reload-You probably won't need it but it is good insurance .
    Always carry a light- To see in the dark

JD
    Administrator
    Do you like your 228? If so get a 220 Carry and call it a day.

I've been very, very happy with my HK45, so maybe an Hk45C? The Glock 30 is a very popular choice as well is the 36, hard to go wrong either way.

I wasn't very fond of the G21SF I had, we just didn't get a long and I overcame the learning curve of the HK45 much quicker, butt that's me and you're you and what works for me may not for you...

Again, if you like and are familiar with your 228, get a 220 Carry.

Ugly? Is that really important? If you're carrying concealed, does it matter if a gun's ugly?

Yes, most Glocks aren't going to win any beauty contest, but you can't ask for a more reliable handgun.
    rdpG19 likes this.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I am 5'11" 175. Haven't had a problem concealing a 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by grantr View Post
    I love the looks of a 1911 model however I have seen so many posts regarding many reliability issues. Kimbers seem to have a lot. I don't want to pay an arm and leg for something I cant trust. I like the looks of the ultra carry but it just seems to have too many issues.
    I think the Kimber reliability issue has been overblown. Some people must have had problems, but I have a Pro CDP that is as good a shooter and as reliable as my Wilson and an UltraCarry with external extractor that doesn't shoot as well but that has been very reliable for about three years so far. For what it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by cam911 View Post
    I think the Kimber reliability issue has been overblown. Some people must have had problems, but I have a Pro CDP that is as good a shooter and as reliable as my Wilson and an UltraCarry with external extractor that doesn't shoot as well but that has been very reliable for about three years so far. For what it's worth.
    I have to agree. I've only had two issues with my CDP II, one was my fault and the other was apparently a bad magazine. The other people I know who have Kimbers love 'em.

OD*
    What do you guys concealed carry in a 45 caliber? I'm 5'9'' tall 150 pounds.
    Either a full size Government Model, or a lightweight Commander.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    I have a real pretty Kimber TLE II that nobody gets to see except on the range and by the way I have not had any problems with it. I carry it in a CrossBread Supertuck holster, dress pants and shirt, no one knows. Most people don't notice anything.

One day I had a guy tell me he hated Kimbers. Oh, why I said, I just do he said. I asked if he had ever shot one? Nope I just hate them. Bottom line the guy had no rational reason just like some of the folks on this forum.

VIP Member

What do you guys concealed carry in a 45 caliber?
    Either a G30SF or a 3" ATI 1911.

I'm debating between the G36 and the Colt XSE Government! Both are fine weapons but a big cost difference.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    Been carrying a Glock 21 here for almost 10 years now. If the grip is a little too large, try the Slim frame. with standard pressure ammo, it's a really soft and flat shooting weapon. Compared to my G19, the felt recoil is about the same. I carry in a Cochise Defender IWB from KD Holsters. Kevin makes a nice rig. With a good belt, the weight is hardly noticeable. If your a .45 fan, carrying anything else just feels inadequate. Not trying to start a caliber war, just saying it seems like a lot of us are monogamous about our ammo or brand of weapon.

Me personally, I'm a glock fan, and love that they all opperate the exact same way. if I do change guns, I don't have to change any habbits. I might have a tendancy to be forgetful or slow to remember, but I can't think of which one it is.

Positive gets my vote. Just don't skimp on your carry set up.

As far as looks, there is an old hot rodders saying, "Chrome don't make it go faster."
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Does a full size 1911 conceal a lot better than say my p228 or a Glock 23?

Thanks for posting what holsters you use. That helps give me an idea of what works. I applied for my CC license about 30 mins ago. $75 and will take about 3 weeks to get it. Now with photo ID!

VIP Member
    A Sig P220 (in any of its various configurations) is an excellent firearm. The G36 is a wonderful carry .45 too. I can recommend either without any hesitation. If you didn't like the feel of the G20 (10mm), you most likely won't like the feel of the G30.

Ok, 1911s. This is just my opinion, others will certainly disagree. If you do not have the time, inclination or skills to "tinker" with your handgun, I suggest avoiding them in the beginning. Some are wonderful right out of the box, but many need a fair amount of TLC before they are truly reliable for carry.

Good luck with your decision!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

I'm a medium framed guy and pack full sized hardware.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links