Taurus 605

This is a discussion on Taurus 605 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Picked up one of these new yesterday.357,3" barrel,blued. I have studied the Taurus brand to form an opinion of my own. Im all for hearing ...

Thread: Taurus 605

Taurus 605

Picked up one of these new yesterday.357,3" barrel,blued. I have studied the Taurus brand to form an opinion of my own.

Im all for hearing from anybody that has/had one of these.

2. Remove Ads

I have one, and carry it often. I have several Smiths, but the little 605 is a gem, and very accurate. You will love it!
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Have one, best one they make, shoots great. Never any issues of any kind either. My daughter (who doesn't necessarily like guns) loves it and keeps trying to talk me into giving it to her. Finally she's getting convinced to shoot more and get a CC permit. But, I told her I'll look for one of her own.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I had a 605 2", traded it for my Glock 19, now I want another 605 but with a 3" barrel, cant find them around my area. Outstanding gun.
    US Navy Veteren
    Ruger SP101 357 3" Barrel
    Taurus 65 357 Mag
    Glock 19 Gen3
    Walther PK 380
    www.guntoters.com

Thanks you guys...
    I figured it was a pretty solid revolver. My buddy that I got it from (retired LEO,NRA instrustor,FFL dealer,blah blah blah) said pretty much the same.

Its -17 degrees here right now,no wind.Perfect conditions for a shoot out back.

I'd rather spend the same money on a S&W k frame.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I'm not at all familiar with the Taurus 605 but from what I see at the Taurus website it would seem to compare in size and weight to the 2.25" Ruger SP101. It sounds as if those who own the 605 are happy with it. I hope your experience will be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by yooperdug View Post
    Picked up one of these new yesterday.357,3" barrel,blued. I have studied the Taurus brand to form an opinion of my own.

Im all for hearing from anybody that has/had one of these.
    I have a 2" 605. Mine's been solid. It's painful to shoot .357 through. .38 Special, 157gr LSWC in front of 3.7 grains Bullseye shoots dead to point of aim.

My experience with Taurus's revolvers produced over the last 5 years or so, is that it is somewhat of a lottery. If you get a good one you'll love it. I have 3, and 2 have been excellent. The 3rd and last one I bought wouldn't work new outta the box, so I'm a little burned on Taurus. The ones made back in the 80's and 90's were really great revolvers. I hope you got a good one, you will enjoy it if you did.

I have a 605 but only use 38's in it. Love it. Reliable.
    USN Retired

I have shot one and it was very good gun. I also have 65 6 shot that is great.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Thanks to all.
    My opinion of Taurus is pretty much sumed up by Devilsclaw.
    I took this thing out and put a box of 357's through it without a flaw. As some of you said, point of aim was right on-that is until later on when I had to put a splint on my wrist if I wanted to keep shooting..I can honestly say Ill be practicing with some .38's next time..
    Carry wise,I can say that I didnt even know I had it strapped on(strong side outside da belt,eh). Thinkin this may become my new anti hobgobblin gun when Im walkin da trapline.
    Thanks for everyones insight!
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    I'm not at all familiar with the Taurus 605 but from what I see at the Taurus website it would seem to compare in size and weight to the 2.25" Ruger SP101. It sounds as if those who own the 605 are happy with it. I hope your experience will be the same.
    No. It is actually thinner. I had a Ruger Sp101 and I still have the 605. My 605 was some customized Taurus from 94. They made the trigger smooth, upgraded the grips and ported the barrel. Needless to say, I got rid of the SP101. I still carry the 94 from time to time. Shoots like any other higher end revolver. I only like 357 loads out of mine. I don't do 38 or plus P's, in this gun or my Colt Python/S&W Model 627.

The 605 is an excellent revolver.

Lifetime NRA Member
    NRA, Lifetime Member

I got a good one it's reliable and accurate.

Links