Glock 23 Question

This is a discussion on Glock 23 Question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Stupid I know but on the 23 can I change to 9mm and 357 ?? What is the 357 round ?? I know I should ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By maddy345
  • 1 Post By Devilsclaw

Thread: Glock 23 Question

Glock 23 Question

Stupid I know but on the 23 can I change to 9mm and 357 ?? What is the 357 round ?? I know I should know this but hearing and reading different things. Thanks for advice
    "Be not ye afraid of them: remember the LORD, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses." Nehemiah 4:14

2. Remove Ads

LWD 9mm conversion barrels will allow you to shoot 9mm ammunition from your Glock 40 S&W or 357 Sig handgun. These conversion barrels are easy to use and install the same as any other barrel, simply drop it in, no gunsmithing or other modifications are required. We do recommend you use the correct 9mm magazine with these conversion barrels to guarantee reliable feeding.

Lone Wolf Distributors - Products - Conversion

I know you can put a 9mm barrel in and shoot 9. Believe you can with .357 sig as well. Check for conversion barrels like lone wolf.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    First off, no question is stupid. The answer is as mentioned above, you can do this easily. If you had a model 19(9mm) you would NOT be able to convert it to 40 or 357 because the opening for the barrel is too narrow.

When I had my G27 I shot hundreds of rounds of 9mm through it using a conversion barrel. Finally, I swapped the 27 for a 26 because I felt better about carrying a "real" 9mm as apposed to a converted one.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Important to note you need a CONVERSION barrel to shoot 9mm. A factory 9mm barrel will not work.You CAN buy a factory G32 barrel for your 23 and shoot .357 sig just fine. You can even use the stock 23 magazines.
    RockStrongo and .XX like this.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I shoot 9mm out of my G23 using a Lone Wolf 40 to 9 conversion barrel and G19 9mm magazines. I shoot .357sig out of my G23 using a Lone Wolf 40 to .357sig conversion barrel and the original G23 mags. This is for range shooting only, not carry. Never had a problem, but wouldn't feel confident carrying a converted pistol.
    " In theory, reality and theory are the same. In reality, they are not."

GLOCK G23, KAHR CW9, RUGER LCP, TAURUS PT92, TAURUS 689, MOSSY 500

NRA member

thx for info..only use for carry so prolly will just keep it at the stock .40
    "Be not ye afraid of them: remember the LORD, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses." Nehemiah 4:14

The Glock 23 and Glock 32 are the same gun, except the barrel. (Gen 3 or 4 up) As someone stated, no need for conversion barrel or magazines. Stock barrels work fine. Since the 357 Sig casehead is the same as your 40, everything works well.

To go to 9mm is a little more involved, and yes, I would not carry the 23 converted to 9mm. Fine for plinking though.
    Glock 23 to Glock 32 (and vice versa) doesn't present the same reliability risks.
    Nothing wrong at all with .40 S&W but the .357 Rocks! Especially if you are shooting 50-60 yds.
    .XX likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I wouldn't feel confident driving my auto with anything except OEM wheels....

Hey, if it works, it works. Proof is in the testing.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

We are all here to learn from one another.

There's one part of question that didn't get answered: What is the 357 round? The answer is that Sig and Federal worked together to create a round to mimic the 357 Magnum in an auto-loader, and they did it by necking a .40 S&W case down to take a 9mm (generally 125gr) bullet. The effect is like a 9mm magnum, it goes really fast (100 fps faster than 9mm +p+), and it's ballistic tests show improved penetration against barriers.

By the way, the brass is not actually .40 S&W, it's longer, so if you reload, don't use .40 S&W brass to make it or you'll be missing half the neck you're supposed to have.

And the case head areas not as thick big safety risk!

If you want a really hot 9mm, get a Glock 20 10mm and drop in a 9X25 Dillon conversion barrel. The 9X25 Dillon is a necked down 10mm. Muzzle Velocity: 1700 fps and Muzzle Energy: 802 ft. lbs. from Underwood or Double Tap.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

You can buy Glock factory 357 sig. barrels , drop one in a 23 and your done. I have a gen. 4 G23 and thought about a 357 sig. barrel. But the cost of the ammo is to high.
    I have heard mixed reviews on 40sw / 9mm on wolf and other brands. By the time you buy a barrel and some 9mm mags. You are close to 1/2 the cost of a good used G19.

Something that hasn't been addressed are the springs. For 'best results' you'd want (I believe.... someone correct me if I'm wrong here) to also use the proper spring for the 'different' caliber. The .40 spring would cycle the slide at a 'slightly' faster rate... possibly enabling a FTF, stovepipe, etc.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Links