Maybe another change in what I carry - Page 2

Maybe another change in what I carry

This is a discussion on Maybe another change in what I carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thanks all. Still at my farm, just about to head home after about two hours of shooting. Will put together a range report. To answer ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Maybe another change in what I carry

Thanks all. Still at my farm, just about to head home after about two hours of shooting. Will put together a range report. To answer a couple questions about ammo and the Nighthawk... I have used critical defense and powerball in it and FTF. Today I ran hornady tap 230gr and FTF twice out of 20 rounds. But I did run 40 rounds of the Wilson combat 230 gr +p and it ran flawless. Perfect ammo for theNnighthawk. I will be running more of it through it but I only brought two boxes because my main focus was the Bill Wilson Carry.

I ran about 383 rounds through the Wilson. Ran perfect for about 200 rounds and then the slide failed to stay back on the last round. Mag wouldn't release either. I figured it was getting dirty and needed some oil. It is 17 degrees out here also. Not sure if that makes a difference. So I oiled it up, mag release too and it started running good again. One stove pipe and another failure to stay locked back. Ammo I ran were reloads and a bit dirty. So I can expect that after 200 rounds. All in all, it shoots like a dream. I will post pictures when I get home in a couple hours. I still like my full size 1911s but this compact impressed me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ducmonster View Post
    I would agree with glockman that on occasional FTF is not a huge concern. 2 hiccups in 150 rounds I would not be comfortable with. It may not keep me from carrying it if I had no other options or it was the gun I shot the best. I would be working to improve it's reliability. For me I would like to see 200 rounds without a failure of any kind. Of coarse there are no
    guarantees no matter what your standards are. 100% through 1000 rounds then on 1001 hiccup. We just do what we can to minimize the chance of failure at the wrong time.
    very healthy and realistic outlook on failures. I'm a glock guy and can't believe it when other glock owners expect their gun to run 1,000+rounds without a hiccup or they call it a POS and sell it. Do they not even consider variance or ammo manufacturing flaw? Especially when shooting the cheapest of the cheap ammo....

So I got a chance to go shooting today with 3 things on my agenda.
    1) To make sure my Rock Island still worked properly after my complete take down
    2) test some more SD ammo in my Nighthawk Falcon to figure out what it likes
    3) To break-in my Bill Wilson Carry that I just picked up

Here are the 3 1911's I brought and different SD ammo for the Falcon

Here's the can of ammo before shooting (about 550 rounds of .45 ACP 230gr)

I decided to function test the Rock Island first. I recently picked this up to mess with so I could do a complete takedown and reassemble it. And hopefully, get it to work after I did it. All the safeties worked as should, mag locked in and dropped out and the slide stayed back on an empty mag. Dry firing worked as it should. I loaded it up and went out to the targets. All shots, with all 3 guns were at 7-12 yards. Fired about 20 rounds of ball ammo and everything worked flawlessly. Start of a good day.

The sights on the Rock Island were tough for me but here are a couple of targets. I'm sure with more practice using these sights, my groups would get tighter.

I know, I know the flyer at the bottom right target. Stop making fun... I'm not used to the sights :) So 1911 no. 1 went good for what it was there for. I'm happy.

Now onto the Nighthawk...

I've been running this Falcon for a bit now. I have about 1500+ rounds through it. Ball ammo runs flawlessly through it but I have been having a lot of FTF with different types of SD rounds. I have tried Gold Dot, Powerball, Criticle Defense and TAP 200gr. Everyone of those manufactures have made the Falcon FTF on average about once every 10-12 rounds. A simple rack has put the gun back into the game but it wasn't good enough for me. So, today I brought some TAP 230gr and some Wilson Combat 230gr +p. I thought that maybe since the ball ammo is 230gr that the TAP 230gr would function better. No reason for the thought, just wanted to try it. I fired all 20 rounds and I had 2 FTFs. I'm irritated at this point. So, I decide to try the WC ammo I just picked up. I have 2 boxes to try out. I load the mags and begin to shoot. The first 20 rounds, not one hiccup. I'm grinning at this point so I load another box up in the same mags. Run another 20 rounds and it goes perfectly. Did I just find the SD ammo that will work in my Falcon? I think so. I only had 40 rounds of it with me so I will have to do more testing with it but at least I am on a better road with this Nighthawk. Maybe the nickel plated brass has something to do with the FTFs. Not sure but here is the target with the Nighthawk.

Now, on to the main reason I wanted to come out here. The Bill Wilson Carry CQB. The gun looks and feels great in my hand. It racks so smooth. I ran 383 rounds through it today. It ran flawlessly for about 200 rounds and then the slide failed to stay back on the last round. The magazine wouldn't release either. I had to rack it back and push the slide stop up and actually pull the mag out while depressing the release button. Sort of weird but i reinserted an empty mag and it released properly. Also, tested to see if the slide would stay back on an empty mag... it did. I figured it was getting dirty and needed some oil. So I oiled it up, the mag release too and it started running good again. One stove pipe and another failure to stay locked back after about another 100 rounds. The ammo I used were reloads and a bit dirty. So I can expect that after 200 rounds. So far I am happy with it but I need to clean it and run it again. I also Tried some +p loads in it but I don't think I like shooting +p out of this compact 1911. I ordered some Wilson Combat 230 gr for the 4" so hopefully, I will like that to shoot better. Here are some targets from today from 7-12 yards. I wanted to see how accurate this thing could be. All guns shot today were off hand.

Here is the Wilson and what's left of my ammo after today

If you've had issues with that many brands of ammo through your Falcon, then I'd say the gun has a problem...get it fixed. At this point, you're just wasting time and ammo.

As for the Wilson, you can't really say anything, since you were using reloads of unknown quality. Try it with some factory ammo.

Frankly, I'm a bit shocked at some of the posts in this thread. 1 failure in 75 shots is acceptable? Really? I'm thinking some folks might be willing to look the other way with their pet guns, because they like them so much. Kinda like the guy who stays with the beautiful but unfaithful woman, because, you know...she's just so purdy to look at.

I dunno - to my mind, purdy is as purdy does, and when it comes to self defense, I'm not interested in a fashion show. Would anyone tolerate a failure every 75 rounds with a Glock? I doubt it. But, for a purdy 1911, it's somehow ok. And folks say Glock fans drink kool aid...sheesh!

Really, I don't care what anyone else carries. But to fool yourself into thinking that such a high failure rate is tolerable because you are SO invested in liking your carry gun...is just silly. It's a tool. If it works, great. If not, fix it or get one that does.

OP - Good luck to you. I hope you get them all figured out.

yooperdug likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Too Many of the Highend 1911s made today are put together with such tight tolerances that they are almost worthless as a dependable
    defensive weapon.

I would rather have a $900 gun that reliably shot plate size groups at 25yds than a "Masterpiece" I couldn't trust to feed factory ammo.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    If you've had issues with that many brands of ammo through your Falcon, then I'd say the gun has a problem...get it fixed. At this point, you're just wasting time and ammo.

As for the Wilson, you can't really say anything, since you were using reloads of unknown quality. Try it with some factory ammo.

Frankly, I'm a bit shocked at some of the posts in this thread. 1 failure in 75 shots is acceptable? Really? I'm thinking some folks might be willing to look the other way with their pet guns, because they like them so much. Kinda like the guy who stays with the beautiful but unfaithful woman, because, you know...she's just so purdy to look at.

I dunno - to my mind, purdy is as purdy does, and when it comes to self defense, I'm not interested in a fashion show. Would anyone tolerate a failure every 75 rounds with a Glock? I doubt it. But, for a purdy 1911, it's somehow ok. And folks say Glock fans drink kool aid...sheesh!

Really, I don't care what anyone else carries. But to fool yourself into thinking that such a high failure rate is tolerable because you are SO invested in liking your carry gun...is just silly. It's a tool. If it works, great. If not, fix it or get one that does.

OP - Good luck to you. I hope you get them all figured out.

I want some other things done to the Falcon so it will be going back to the shop. I know what you mean about not dealing with failure. My M&P 45c was great for 2000+ rounds. Then it started to chamber a round automatically every now and then when I did a reload. Once it chambered without a round and I just didn't like it. I'm having a gunsmith look into it because I want my guns to run one way, not different every other time.

As for the ammo in the Wilson, I plan on getting some factory ammo for the next time out. Probably wont run as dirty either. I like how it shoots though. So I'm happy with it for right now. I'll post up results using factory loads as soon as I get out next.

Man,that sure is a great looking gun. Congrats!!

Thanks yooperdug

OP, I sure hope you get the kinks worked out. The Falcon looks great.

I bought my first 1911 a couple of months ago and it's back to the factory because of FTF and various other malfunctions. So aggravating. I have had several polymers and never had a problem. I pay 3 times as much for this 1911 and it is having problems.

Am I wishful thinking when I expect to have a 1911 that runs flawlessly for 1000s of rounds? I want to be able to trust it but it's going to be hard for it to win me back over.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I really hate to say this, but my Glock 30 has had exactly one (1) FTF with any assortment of factory ammo--clean, dirty, or otherwise--and that FTF was totally operator induced. I trust it far more than expensive "custom" 1911s that won't feed flawlessly.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I've owned many plastic guns and have experienced failures in high round counts. Even glocks. The thing is, I shoot better, more confident in accuracy, better purchase on the gun and the trigger is so much better for me with a 1911. I can shoot faster with accuracy using a 1911. Shooting 200 rounds flawlessly is ok for me in a SD situation. Would I like 1000 rounds with no failure? Absolutely! I've never said I didn't like plastic guns, I love them. Now, I'm not making any excuse to except my "purdy" 1911's failure (Nighthawk) because it's not acceptable. But the Wilson is in the break-in phase and I was using reloads. Next round out will be factory and if I experience the same problems, it won't be acceptable. I do run all my guns for the proper amount of time before making judgment. Heck, the only firearm I have ever shot flawlessly, every time, was a revolver ;)

sounds like you have a found a good SD ammo that works. Congrats and stick with what you like, don't let someone else tell you otherwise. I love Glocks but they are not perfect, and never have been.

So I got out today to shoot the three 1911s again. tested the new trigger on the RI and it worked flawlessly and my groups were a bit tighter but those sights suck.

The Nighthawk is going back to the shop. I don't want to get into it but I'm not happy with the Falcon at all. I also want to checker the bottom of the trigger guard and switch the rear sights. I don't care for the single tritium dot in the center of it. Sort of stupid when I'm used to 3 dot or none in the rear sight.

Now for what made my day fun. I wanted to run some factory ammo and some SD rounds through it. I ran a total of 413 rounds through it today with no malfunctions. Seems that either I limp wristed it or it just needed to be broken in the first time out. This thing runs so smooth. I have nothing bad to say about the Bill Wilson Carry. Speed reloads were not as fast as the Nighthawk but that's to be expected with a full size compared to a compact. All in all, I'm very happy with this gun and will be my carry until I receive my CQB Elite. I still like full size over compact but this will do for now.

one awesome looking pistol

Very nice and an excellent carry size for a 1911 45.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links