Maybe another change in what I carry

This is a discussion on Maybe another change in what I carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Awhile back, I purchased a Nighthawk Falcon and I've put about 1500+ rounds through it. It performed flawlessly with ball ammo. I would get a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Maybe another change in what I carry

Maybe another change in what I carry

Awhile back, I purchased a Nighthawk Falcon and I've put about 1500+ rounds through it. It performed flawlessly with ball ammo. I would get a few FTF with different JHPs. I carried this gun everyday. Its my prefered carry out of all my guns. The only down side was the FTF that would bother me. So I started to look for another 1911 to carry until I can find the right ammo for the Falcon. I was at a local shop and they had a Bill Wilson Carry there. I liked it. It's a 4" but man, it's nice. So I talked to the owner and he was interested in my M&P 9c and my PX4 storm. We did some wheeling and dealing and I ended up walking out with this

I'm taking it out today to shoot about 300+ rounds through it and see how it performs. It may replace my primary carry so I can send out my Nighthawk to get some additions done to it and have the builder see if there's a reason for the FTF. Anyway, I'm pretty happy with the purchase.

2. Remove Ads

GM
    Congratulations! I love the Wilson Carry, it is a beautiful firearm
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Thanks GM. Hope it performs as good as it looks and feels. May want to add a CT to it. The master series looks pretty appealing

VIP Member
    Nice looking gun. As to the Nighthawk, if it is suffering from FTF problems I personally wouldn't carry it. Any gun that FTF/FTE is a death trap. Ship it off and get it fixed.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Nice looking gun

Have you tried Hornady critical defense in the Falcon? Its a nice SD round that is shaped closer to a fmj. Might solve your ftf issues with jhp.
    helderberg likes this.

I prefer a 4" I dont want a 5" for CC in a 1911 and a 3.5 is just too small. With all the innovations lately they(4") are just as reliable as any 5" its not just a "thrown together chop job" like they were in the past. Try that powerball ammo the HP with the polymer "ball" in the HP cavity(i think it acts very similar to the Hornady types) its a HP but that "ball" gives it a round nose profile for/on the feed ramp. Always worked well for the HP in 1911 for the guys ive seen run it.

Corbon 45 ACP 165 Grain Powerball $22.78

Administrator
    Very Nice!
    "Just blame Sixto"

Sweet lookin' piece! Looks bad a$$! Hope she runs for you.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

I would not be concerned about the occasional FTF. But, confidence is a subjective issue, so do what makes you feel good. From my experience, having had several high end 1911s, they will all bobble here and there. Since I have come back to the 1911, I have went with Colt, and although it to, has an occasional hiccup, maybe 2 per 150 rounds or so, I still have confidence in the gun, as it will get through 8 or 10 mags flawlessly everytime.

I do wish you good luck with the Wilson, they are very well built guns, but they are not perfect either.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

OD*
    Nice Wilson, congratulations.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Pretty!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

The Wilson would be a great addition to any collection. Hope it runs and feeds well for you at the range. Confidence in your carry firearm is very important and I hope you find it.
    Frank.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by C Bennett View Post
    With all the innovations lately they(4") are just as reliable as any 5" its not just a "thrown together chop job" like they were in the past.
    Unfortunately that was/is still true for some, Colt's were never just a "thrown together chop job" though, they are the company that engineered the use of the shorter frame rails, thinner flange on the recoil guide rod, and the thinner vertical impact surface to allow for the additional rearward travel.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

I would agree with glockman that on occasional FTF is not a huge concern. 2 hiccups in 150 rounds I would not be comfortable with. It may not keep me from carrying it if I had no other options or it was the gun I shot the best. I would be working to improve it's reliability. For me I would like to see 200 rounds without a failure of any kind. Of coarse there are no
    guarantees no matter what your standards are. 100% through 1000 rounds then on 1001 hiccup. We just do what we can to minimize the chance of failure at the wrong time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links