Sig p238.

Sig p238.

This is a discussion on Sig p238. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What is the general opinion of the SIG P238 380 Semi-Automatic? I want to have something for pocket carry and have had bad luck with ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sig p238.

Sig p238.

What is the general opinion of the SIG P238 380 Semi-Automatic? I want to have something for pocket carry and have had bad luck with
    the Ruger LCP and the S&W 380 Bodyguard. Have handled the Sig and like it but the cost is higher that either of the other two.
    I have heard of feeding problems but that was in the older models. I also am not a real fan of the single action trigger for a ccw, my normal carry is a j-frame. I like the longer trigger as a second chance to change my mind and not fire. Just my personal comfort zone and that is why I actually liked the trigger on the two other guns.
    In NY I have to buy the gun, go to the city office and pay to have it put on my permit, then I can shoot it and see if it works for me and fills my needs. I have gone thorough a few guns to get to the j's but it also can get expensive. I do not know anyone that has one of these to ask or try so I have to depend on the forum. The latest forum reviews for these guns are about two years old so I was hoping to hear about the experance of current owners with the gun and the company for standing behind their product.
    Thanks in advance, Frank.

JD
    Administrator
    My first P238 had issues, it got replaced by Sig. I ended up not carrying the gun nearly as much as I thought I would so I sold it off.

What were your issues with the LCP and BG.380?

I don't like the idea of the C&L pocket gun simply because the channel in the slide where the hammer hits the firing pin can become obscured with pocket lint or other foreign material...but as long as you are prone to clearing debris from the pocket and gun I don't think it would be that big of an issue.

I liked my 238, the 2nd gun ran well, the accuracy was more than acceptable for it's size, the thing shoots like a mid-size 9mm if you do your part. Cost wise if you shop around you can find them for great prices.

Frank,
    I had a P238 and it functioned flawlessly, the gun is well made and the fit and finish was excellent. As you mentioned the earlier ones had some issues. I think it was magazine related and if I remember correctly they made a change to the mag follower. You have to decide if you want a gun that is single action, also if you feel comfortable carrying it cocked and locked. The gun has very mild recoil, was very easy to rack the slide and was accurate. The only draw back I found was that it weighed 16 oz which I thought was a bit heavy for a 380, the Kahr CM9 weighs 15.9 ( unloaded ) and its a 9mm. The only reason I sold mine was becaues I was not comfortable with the 380 caliber.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    My wife bought one shortly before Christmas. She loves it. She went through 2 revolvers before she found the P238. First time she fired it she turned her head to look at me and said "That's soooooooooooooo sweeeeeeeeeeeeet". She had fired one round out of my LCP, set it down right there on the bench and said, "I'm not doing that again".
    The little gun has a lot to recommend it:
    1. It can be loaded, unloaded, and cleared with the safety on. This is a big feature. It reduces the chance of an ND essentially to zero.
    2. The slide is the easiest to rack on the planet. My 70 year old wife with little hands and fragile skin can do the whole manual of arms with it including clearing double feeds, stove pipes, no problem. (I made up some dummy rounds for her to practice with.)
    3. The sights are excellent - big and visible. It comes standard with night sights.
    4. It is very very slightly bigger than the LCP. This is a picture I made to compare the size to an LCP: The P238 is taller by the height of the sights, it's longer on the muzzle end by about the length of the grip overhang
    5. So far we have about 300 rounds through it - a hodge podge of various factory rounds, my reloads, and 50 Hornady Critical Defense rounds. Not one problem. It's eaten every thing we fed it.
    6. It has a very nice trigger. Pull is a trifle stiff at 7 lbs, but it is nice and crisp, a plesant contrast to the long walks in the park waiting to stumble over something that is the trigger pull on my LCP.
    I get the chance to carry it now and then, mostly when we are going out to a social occasion and she doesn't want to pack.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    There definately were some issues with some magazines initially but that was resolved. Current offerings seem to run fine. I agree with Fitch's comments as well as Jd and theheater905. Right now, providing I had the funds, I would not hesitate to buy one. Sadly the next 3 months requires everything I can gather to pay insurance, insurance, insurance and taxes and lastly more taxes.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

My wife has shot and carried a Sig P238 for over a year and she loves it. Never a ftf,fte with any ammo used and we have used several different ones. I have a couple SIg mags, but also use some "old" Colt Mustang one that have been around for 20 years. Yes I have a Mustang, but don't want it carried as it is "cherry" and has some collector value. We do shoot it a couple times a year. I don't have room in my safe for something that we don't shoot.

It feels like a gun, is small enough for a pocket or Iwb on a lady and my lady carries it every day. I wish I could get a good buy on the rainbow model, just because it is "purdy".

My P238 was flawless, I put 600 rounds of various ammo through it- no issues of any type. Very nice for pocket carry-in Condition 1, good holster is important.

My wife carries one and loves it. She occasionally lets me shoot it...If I run across a great deal I'll dump my Taurus TCP in favor of the Sig in a heartbeat for a pocket carry. GREAT little gun!
    I am a hard-working self-employed conservative Christian white male gun owner. How else can I tick you off today?

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I have a different opinion. Although I thnk the P238 is probably the best looking pocket .380 on the market, I think the Kahr P380 is hands down the best choice for a pocket .380. here's why:
    -Better ergonomics; I get a better grip on the Kahr
    -I don't like a safety on a pocket gun at all! It's going to be a quick pull and presentation, no safety or mag disconnect for me
    -I don't want a single action trigger on a pocket gun although every P238 trigger I've dry fired seems to have a heavy pull, still I think the Kahr has a much better trigger.

I'd LOVE to have the Sig but for a pocket .380 I don't think you can beat the features of the Kahr .380. Mine has been VERY reliable and recoil is reasonable to mild. I cut a piece of a bicycle inner tube for the grip because the checkering is a bit aggressive and I absolutely love the grip now.

Anyway, the Sig is nice if your main carry is a 1911 so you'r always swiping your thumb safety

VIP Member
    Very happy with the P238 although I have only run just over 100 rounds through mine it is the sweetest shooting 380 I have.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I purchased my P238 in September, 2011 and never looked back. It actually shoots like a full size gun. I pocket carry it in a good holster and never had any problems. I could've bought a lower priced Bodyguard or an LCP, but decided to save all my pennies for this higher quality firearm. I have no regrets. Awesome little gun.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States.
    There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
    - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Sig P238/Sig 1911 Ultra/Beretta PX4 Storm/Kimber Ultra Carry II

Quote Originally Posted by Rhcmlc View Post
    I purchased my P238 in September, 2011 and never looked back. It actually shoots like a full size gun. I pocket carry it in a good holster and never had any problems. I could've bought a lower priced Bodyguard or an LCP, but decided to save all my pennies for this higher quality firearm. I have no regrets. Awesome little gun.
    I agree with the whole post but I made bold the description of how it shoots because that says it so well. It's a pocket pistol that shoots like a full size gun. This is a target fired where I drew it from my pocket, clicked off the safety and fired 6 shots as fast as I could get the front sight back on target - going from memory it was something like 4 seconds from beep to last shot (I use a timer when I practice), the range was 7 yards. This was with the flush magazine. I just did this the once with each magazine, normally I practice double taps or Mozambique's, don't want to get in the habit of reflexively emptying the mag into a badguy.

I do a little better with my Glocks, I definitely did not do as well with my LCP - they were all on the cardboard, they weren't all in the circle and I wasn't as fast. I didn't take a picture of the LCP target. I did shoot a second one with the P238 with the extended 7 round magazine:

I actually did a bit better with the flush magazine. I think the time was about the same for the second target.

This is compact gun performance - like I'd expect from my G26 drawing from a holster. We did drop back to 25 yards and 50 yards taking aimed shots and managed to keep all the shots in the 0 to -1 zone at 25, and all on the cardboard at 50 yards shooting standing of hand, no rest or support. That said, this is a close range gun. If "they" are 50 yards away, I'm going to be doing everything I can think of to make it even farther!

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

I'm confused......you say you don't like a sa pistol for pocket carry, yet you are considering the Sig P238??

The poster that recommended the Kahr P380 made a good recommendation......if you can find a P380 that is dependable. I had the Kahr for almost a year and shot over 1,000 rounds through it before giving up. Never was reliable and had serious jam issues. And I cannot in good conscous recommend Kahr's customer service. If you're set on a pocket pistol I'd take a Sig over a Kahr any day. Sig manufacturers quality products and if you do have an issue, they will make it right for you.

I'd love to have one of those P238's (I already have a P226 and P220), but unfortunately the safety setup is for right handers and I'm left handed.

One final question.....what's wrong with the J frame for pocket carry? For a major caliber, I think the J Frame and Ruger LCR are just about perfect for pocket carry.

Good luck on your decision.

MLittle made some good points. Kahr is having a long running problem with their P380s; about a year now. Unless you know specifically what you are getting, I'd avoid them until they fix the problem(s).

I really like the looks and feel of the Sig 238, but I have proven to myself that I do not want a pocket pistol with a safety, or the need to C&L. I'm sure it is not an issue for a lot of folks, but it appears as though I have a very short attention span. And, after 60 years of shooting, I need to work around some of my "issues". Bigger caliber is always better and for me that means at least a 9mm. Now that my eyes are not as good and hands a little more shakey it has become power rather than precision. And, I'm too mature to carry IWB.

So, for me, it's a Kahr CW9. The CM was not out when I bought mine, but I might consider it if I feel the need a smaller pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by MLittle View Post
    I'd love to have one of those P238's (I already have a P226 and P220), but unfortunately the safety setup is for right handers and I'm left handed.
    Don't give up yet - SIG is coming out with several models of the P238 with an ambi-safety this year. I've seen pictures of one but can't find the WEB page.

They are also coming out with a 9mmP version of the P238 called the P938 which will also have an ambi-safety.

Sig P238 | Sig Sauer Guns and Accessories

The P938 specification shows it is the same height and width as the P238 with a barrel about 0.3" longer and a 0.4" increase in overall length. The P938 is only an ounce or two heavier than the 238 so it will probably be a handful to shoot, but, based on the little bit of infor available, it just may be the smallest micro-9. The barrel is only .3" longer but the gun is .4" longer. After thinking about this for a few days I'm going to speculate the grip is slightly longer front to back to accomodate the ~0.19" longer 9mmP rounds and part of that increase added to the overall length.

Fitch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links