Ruger Sp101

This is a discussion on Ruger Sp101 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought an Sp101 on 10 January. Another niece was born, it was my departed father-in-law's birthday and I thought I'd do a little something ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Ruger Sp101

Ruger Sp101

I bought an Sp101 on 10 January. Another niece was born, it was my departed father-in-law's birthday and I thought I'd do a little something special, so I went to a LGS in search of a .38. I looked at the LCR and the 642, then on a whim thought I'd check out a 3" SP101 in .357...which I almost immediately bought. I kept reading glowing reviews on it on this and other boards, and I'm glad I checked it out even though I had no intention of buying a .357 that particular trip. Felt great in hand.

I finally got to take it to the range today. I grew up shooting S&W and Ruger 19's and Security Six's, and after almost two years of the Glock as my carry shooting a revolver is giving me serious thoughts about investing in some new leather and changing up my carry gun. The Glock is pretty great; I shoot it well, good capacity and all that, but the SP101 was sweet. I ran a bunch of 130grain ball through it (which were surprisingly mild), then a box of Golden Sabre 125gr +P .38 Special (those are pretty fun at the indoor range, if you like balls of fire like I do.) Haven't put any .357 through it yet (I don't like to shoot .357 indoors very much), but I'm looking forward to that once the weather clears up just a bit.

Anyway, it was through a couple of people on this forum that I got inspired to throw down some cash on a gun I've wanted for a while, and I'm glad I did. If you're one of the people that throws around recommendations for this revolver, thank you. I couldn't be happier with it.
    Cory1022 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Everybody has to have a wheel gun! Enjoy.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I keep wanting an SP101.

Used to have a GP100, and like Ruger revolvers.

I have an Sp101 in 38/357 that I traded for a G19. I was hesitant at first giving up 10 rounds... But once I got to the range and shot some .38sp through it, I was put at ease knowing I could get all 5 shots where they needed to be. In fact, I like the SP101 so much I just traded off my XDm9 for an SP101 in .327.

I just got home from the range shooting my 3" SP101. Great little gun arent they? Big Daddy GP100 is going to join my SP soon.
    Glock 22 Gen 4, 27
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    The SP101 is a stout little gun, and a great do-it-all firearm in my opinion, especially when chambered in .357. I don't use mine for CC due to weight, but it's great for the trail. Best of luck!
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

You got yourself a fine revolver that will last for many generations.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Cool

I have a SP-101 in 2 1/4" and the only thing I would trade it off on is a 3" SP-101.

Holster is a Side Guard Quick Clip.

photo.jpgphoto.jpgphoto.jpg
    click image to enlarge....
    sinzitu likes this.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I like that holster, Old School. I'm going to look into one of those.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I love mine; I have the same 3' model. I'd recommend 2 mods when you get a chance that makes the gun about perfect in my opinion. First, I added an XS, standard sized night sight front sight. It makes it so much easier to acquire the front sight. It's not too hard to replace the front sight yourself and there's a lot of detailed direction on the web how to do it. Then I'd recommend a replacement spring kit. I think I paid $8.00 for mine a few years back. I only replaced the main spring but boy did it make a nice differenc in the double action pull! The trigger on my SP101 is now better than my old S&W 640-1

And if you're looking for good leather and a very good price I'd recommend UBG holsters. He makes a model called the Bonneville. It's OWB and VERY comfortable. I don't care to carry a revolver IWB due to the cylinder buldge and how uncomfortrable that can be. Anyway if you do want to try and IWB then I only have one recommendation for the SP101 and that's a COMIII from HBE leather. Great holster; I have 3 of them.

Finally, if you'd like something a bit better than the plastic inserts on the grip, I'd recommend ebony wood inserts. They look really good and feel great, adding an air of class to the gun.

Enjoy it, it's a great little gun and I love how litte recoil there is with the 3" model when shooting 38 +p.

God Bless
    Gideon

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    Nice gun congratulations!.

I saw a used one for sale at a great price at one of my local gun store/range, did not get it then. Went back 2 days later to buy it and it was already gone. It had a bobbed hammer, laser sights.. very nice. Now I am going to have to buy a new one. I like it too much.

Very nice

I got the 2" version...

Don't forget to post in the SP101 club, and SuperDuper Snubby threads.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Ha! I was thinking about the Super Duper Snub Club when I walked into the gun store. I bet this site is responsible for a LOT of gun sales.

I have one chambered for .357 with a Crimson Trace laser and like it a lot.

WvHiker, you say you have not shot any .357 rounds through it yet. I recommend you do so before you decide to make it your standard carry gun. The difference in recoil is substantial - thus longer to get back on target in a multi-shot situation. Also, the 5 shot capacity is pretty limiting when BG's often work in teams. My main carry is a G-19. I like the way it shoots and it gives me 15 rounds in each mag and reloading is fast. There are circumstances that I carry the Ruger and I do carry it loaded with .357, but I also practice with it that way. Any time I go to the range, I shoot it with .38 for overall practice, but always end with at least ten rounds of .357. I highly recommend you spend some range time with the magnum loads before carrying it that way.

I have the SP101 in .327 magnum and it is not far off the .357 in power, recoil, etc. Plus, I get to use three other.32 rounds and the .327 H&R magnum is a pretty good SD round from what I have read and observed. Too bad more folks don't give the .327 a try; I think they'd like it!
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links