Help With Next Glock?

This is a discussion on Help With Next Glock? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I voted for the 23. I have 4 Glocks, a gen 3 27, and 3 RTF2's: a 22, 23, & 19. If (when) I buy ...

View Poll Results: Have G26 & G30 - What Next?

Voters
173. You may not vote on this poll
  • G19

69 39.88%
  • G17

18 10.40%
  • G27

7 4.05%
  • G23

27 15.61%
  • G22

3 1.73%
  • G21

8 4.62%
  • G29

6 3.47%
  • G20

5 2.89%
  • OTHER

30 17.34%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Help With Next Glock?

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    I voted for the 23.

I have 4 Glocks, a gen 3 27, and 3 RTF2's: a 22, 23, & 19. If (when) I buy another I'm thinking it will be a gen 4 17.
    Proud NRA member

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I already have a 17 and a 19, and am not a .40 or subcompact fan, so the 29 will likely be the one I cash out my blue label card for.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    I voted 23.... I love the .40cal round... and since most Glock people say the Glock 19 is the best CC gun ever, why not carry it's big brother (round power wise) but same size....?
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Take it from someone who knows.......

......and the winner is

Walden likes this.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

G27

My first carry was a G26. Then the addiction set in. My G19 is a great companion to my G26 (mag sharing and what-not). Of course my G23 is a great companion to my G27. And so on and so forth. But tryo to get the mainstays in your collection as well, i.e. a nice 1911, a good wheel gun, a good shot gun, a good rifle, and a plinker or two.
    ē We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

VIP Member
    If I was in your shoes, I'd go for a 17 or 21 to have a full size option in one of the calibers you already have
    I'd also stick with 9 and 45 since you already have them and can stock up on interchangeable mags and ammo for your smaller companions
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer
    not enough space for list, main gear: duty-G17, S&W 642 bug, 870, RRA AR-15; G30 off-duty
    Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by glockrocker View Post
    19,19,19,19,19,19,19,.....I'm trying to help here.....19,19,19,19,19,19,19,19,
    glockrocker is right!...S&W Model 19,S&W Model 19,S&W Model 19,S&W Model 19,S&W Model 19,S&W Model 19,S&W Model 19,
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Still giving it some thought... Looks like its going to be either a 19 or 17 :)

Just worried that the 19 will be too similar in size to my 26...? Is the 17 difficult to conceal (I'm 5'8 and 185)...?

Thanks!

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    Love my 23 share carry time between that and a P238 can't go wrong, don't know if all the problems have been worked in the 9mm glocks
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

If you donít already own a .22 pistol, that should be your next purchase so you can afford to practice basic marksmanship. There are aftermarket .22 conversion kits for Glocks, but they seem to be in very short supply and I cannot vouch for their performance. The next closest thing may be Smith & Wessonís M&P .22, based upon S&Wís copy of Glockís revolutionary design (sometimes referred to as a ďSchlockĒ). Otherwise, Rugerís classic .22ís are reasonably priced and work well.

If you have that covered, I think you already own the extremes of the practical civilian CCW spectrum within the Glock catalogue with your G26 and G30. If you yearn for yet another Glock (and thatís certainly understandable), here are my suggestions, based upon decades of plainclothes law enforcement and even more decades of civilian CCW (in order of preference):

1. Glock 27. Your 9mm G26 is OK for civilian CCW, but I prefer .40, once you master the recoil. Besides, now youíll have the three most common auto pistol calibers covered, should ammunition in one or the other calibers become scarce. (Just take care not to mix up ammo or mags!)

2. Glock 36. A slimmer alternative to your Glock 30, especially if you donít want to get into another caliber.

3. Glock 19 or 23, along with your Glock 30, these pretty much represent the practical upper limit for civilian CCW. I would, however, caution against depending upon using their magazines in their corresponding little brothers, as you can induce feed failures by applying pressure to the protruding magazine bottom with your grip.

Everyone should have a 19 in the stable. It was my first Glock. It is the perfect size. I have the 17,19 and 26. The 26 is the easiest to carry of the three. The 17 can be concealed, I'm 5'10", 170#. But the 19 is not much harder than the 26 to carry, yet easier than the 17. If I could keep only one Glock, it would be the 19.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Quote Originally Posted by TrailWolf View Post
    Still giving it some thought... Looks like its going to be either a 19 or 17 :)

Just worried that the 19 will be too similar in size to my 26...?
    It's not.

Quote Originally Posted by TrailWolf View Post
    Is the 17 difficult to conceal (I'm 5'8 and 185)...?
    Generally impractical for real-world civilian applications, but not impossible.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    If your going to CC it, I might suggest the G-36. It's just enough smaller and lighter than the G-30. I purchased the G-30SF and so far have found it too big and heavy to carry comfortably. I love it, I just don't carry it.

At least for the 9mm, .40, and .357 SIG, the "compacts" do everything the full sizes do. You won't miss that extra size if you're not competing. I'm actually having the opposite problem you are. I bought a 19 (love it, by the way) and am looking to go down to a 26.
    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." - St. Augustine

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links