1911 Carry gun: Size matters

This is a discussion on 1911 Carry gun: Size matters within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have the Rock Island G.I. No problems with it at all what-so-ever. It was my dad's before he gave it to me after buying ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: 1911 Carry gun: Size matters

I have the Rock Island G.I. No problems with it at all what-so-ever. It was my dad's before he gave it to me after buying a Springfield Armory G.I. I love it. I haven't bought a Crossbreed for it yet. The barrel length is going to be personal preferance mostly. The shorter the barrel/smaller the frame, the easier it is to conceal. But then again, I find it very easy to carry a full size 1911. And I only use 8rd mags.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    My Kimber Ultra Covert II is a compact 1911 and I love it. It's a short barrel 1911 and performs flawlessly.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    My choice goes to the Govt. first then the Commander length guns. I don't find the Officer's Model or shorter benefit me in any way, actually I've found the shorter barreled guns harder to conceal due to the grip leaning away from my body where a Govt. or Commander's barrel actually helps to keep the guns grip in tight against my side when carried IWB. I owned a CCO, (4" Bbl, Officer's frame), and found it just a tad too short to comfortably grip.

My favorite holster to carry a 1911 in is the Milt Sparks Summer Special II with a 15* forward cant at 4:00, this completely allows the grip to blend into my side concealing the gun.

Thanks for all of the insight.

@raytracer, what is bobtailed? One thing that I like about the 1911 is the large beavertail. The GI model would be for me a starting point to modify. I like the skeleton hammer and trigger for weight issues.

Understand the grip is the issue. I have seen many people carry the 1911, when they show me, and where i will wear it is about 4-5 o'clock iwb. To me, my back, or lovehandle will take care of most of the grip. My concern with barrel length is weight and having it press my pants out oddly when I move, sit down, bend etc. Am I wrong in thinking that giving up grip, even with a mod, gives up mag capacity?

I honestly believe that weight is the biggest concern for me, at this point. My LC9 is a far cry from any size 1911. It made a world of difference when I switched from the POS belt I had to the beltman leather, and I am sure it will hold up, just plan on having 2 mags hanging from the belt as well. My pants are generally pretty full too with my EDC. Fenix flashlight, small pocket knife in pocket, 2 wallets, folding blade knife clipped to pocket, cell phone, chapstick and SW 442. My 5.11 pants with flextac that another member reviewed on here make carrying all of it so easy and I still have a TON of room to spare that I am going to get more. ideally enough to wear everyday to work. Not going to burn my jeans yet though!

Do you folks find the weight to be an issue or does a quality belt make the point moot?
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    Thanks for all of the insight.

@raytracer, what is bobtailed? One thing that I like about the 1911 is the large beavertail. The GI model would be for me a starting point to modify. I like the skeleton hammer and trigger for weight issues.

Understand the grip is the issue. I have seen many people carry the 1911, when they show me, and where i will wear it is about 4-5 o'clock iwb. To me, my back, or lovehandle will take care of most of the grip. My concern with barrel length is weight and having it press my pants out oddly when I move, sit down, bend etc. Am I wrong in thinking that giving up grip, even with a mod, gives up mag capacity?

I honestly believe that weight is the biggest concern for me, at this point. My LC9 is a far cry from any size 1911. It made a world of difference when I switched from the POS belt I had to the beltman leather, and I am sure it will hold up, just plan on having 2 mags hanging from the belt as well. My pants are generally pretty full too with my EDC. Fenix flashlight, small pocket knife in pocket, 2 wallets, folding blade knife clipped to pocket, cell phone, chapstick and SW 442. My 5.11 pants with flextac that another member reviewed on here make carrying all of it so easy and I still have a TON of room to spare that I am going to get more. ideally enough to wear everyday to work. Not going to burn my jeans yet though!

Do you folks find the weight to be an issue or does a quality belt make the point moot?
    My Ultra Covert II Kimber is plenty light enough.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

@raytracer, what is bobtailed?
    Bobtail = a 1911 with the bottom of the mainspring housing "bobbed" - as I'm sure you'll notice in the bottom left of this pic.

bobcat3.jpg

Google "Ed Brown bobtail" in images to see a picture. Basically, they round off the bottom rear corner of the grip. This does not affect mag capacity.

Standard capacity in a GM or Cmdr is 7 rounds (6 in an OACP). Some manufacturers have a magazine with a modified follower that boosts round count by one.

It sounds like you are used to a small pistol and are weight-conscious. Given those two factors, I lean toward the 3.5" model. If your friends will let you shoot and/or wear their 1911s, that's still the best way to determine which is the better gun for you.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

The "bobtail" is an Ed Brown innovation - it's a beveled mainspring housing that uses an Officer's size spring. The frame has a corresponding cut as well. The end result is a frame that doesn't print nearly as much, but still accepts a full size magazine.

A 5-inch 1911 is about 39 ounces empty, probably 6 oz more with a full mag. I carry mine in a Milt Sparks Summer Special, but even with a good belt the weight is noticeable by the end of the day. I moved to a Sig 220 to save about 10 oz, but as much as I love the gun I still favor the 1911 platform so these days when I carry a 1911, most of the time it's the Kimber equivalent of a Lightweight Commander (same weight as the 220, about 28 0z empty). By day's end, the lighter weight is noticeable to me, and appreciated.

Let me circle around to your question and state emphatically that a quality belt - a gun belt - indeed makes a difference in carry comfort.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Size and weight does matter. You won't carry what is uncomfortable. It is a compromise, regardless of what anyone says, otherwise I would walk around with a long gun. The Colt Officer lightweight is my carry weapon. With Wilson 47OX mags that hold 7 + 1 and a spare mag, I feel like I have what I need. I had a Colt Agent, and I had a problem with reliability, even with Wilson mags. That extra half an inch In the Officer and the sights made the lightweight the one for me. My avatar is my weapon.

Continuing the thanks.
    I appreciate all of the info you folks are providing. I realize that the 1911 in any way shape or form is a step up weight wise, from my LC9. It is a conscious decision I am making so I understand the difference and it is one I want to make for a variety of reasons. I shoot my lc9 pretty well, and love that mine is really reliable. There are things I dont like about it but that is for another post. No issues after 500+ rounds. I am looking to move to the .45 acp (i wont call it an upgrade for fear of offending people). If nothing else, I don't have one and right now having one as a carry gun is my concern. Just want to get a reliable gun, for a reasonable price, that has what I need. I am all about modifying it. The GI model that is the initial starting point is for me a great platform with which to start.

In my normal day to day I do not carry it at work. I am a high school teacher. I was told (and this is info I intend on verifying once I get proper legal counsel) that carrying on campus is legal, but if you are an employee it must be cleared through the superintendent. Definitely not something I am going to ask. There are days that I will carry it for 8+ hours, lets call those weekends and holidays. I am all for the its not comfortable its comforting side of things but there is a limit to everything and as canoesmith said if it is not comfy I wont carry it.

@gasmitty: I have a beltman gun belt and compared to anything else I have seen it is a quality GB. It made a world of difference on my lightweight CBST and LC9. Not sure if you are familiar with his work, but I am assuming it is what you are referring to as a quality rig. Understandably there is only so much you can do. I am trying to do it all.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

"Do you folks find the weight to be an issue or does a quality belt make the point moot?"

You're onto something here. A good belt makes all the difference.

I prefer the full-sized Government Model configuration over anything shorter. When perusing a manufacturer's catalog or website and reading specifications, words like "light weight" turn me off the model being reviewed.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    When perusing a manufacturer's catalog or website and reading specifications, words like "light weight" turn me off the model being reviewed.
    +1. The few ounces of extra weight doesn't bother me enough to accept the other tradeoffs.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

VIP Member
    I conceal a Commander size 1911 with no problems. With Chip McCormick Power Mag's I get 8+1 capability. Since your going to have the gun customized, go ahead and have him do a bobtail job on it as well. Makes concealment a little easier, since it reduced the grip size.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I carry the same exact weapon daily. i have a Rock CS GI (3.5 in barrel) and I carry wilson combat 7 round officer magazines. It is a rock solid weapon (no pun intended) and I trust my life with it. I sometimes will carry a lighter small revolver depending on the threat and situation as I perceive it. The addition of the wilson mags has made feeding smoother in my opinion. With that said, I have a full size S&W 1911 that I carry sometimes as well (Not normally as I use this as my bedside weapon). When I carry IWB, the full size seems to be more stable in the kydex holster I have. The length of the barrel seems to make it ride better as it is beside my thigh. I am sure it is partially because of the holster I have. I prefer to carry my Rock compact in an OWB holster with cover shirt and suspenders. It is definitely not a light weight. I recommend it from a reliability standpoint and a carry ability standpoint but that is my experience with the weapon system you mentioned.
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links