Top 5 Combat Handguns - Page 8

Top 5 Combat Handguns

This is a discussion on Top 5 Combat Handguns within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The best and most proven handguns for combat are as follows: 1. Sig-Sauer P226 MK 25 9MM 2. Browning HP 9MM 3. Glock 17 4. ...

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: Top 5 Combat Handguns

Top 5 Combat Handguns

The best and most proven handguns for combat are as follows:

1. Sig-Sauer P226 MK 25 9MM
    2. Browning HP 9MM
    3. Glock 17
    4. Colt 1911
    5. HK MK 23

I know a lot of people "love" the .40, but most law enforcement agencies are going back to either the 9MM or .45. Fact is with technology today, there is no need for anything more than a 9MM. I like the 9MM for a few reasons. First, low recoil aids shot placement, which is the single most important aspect of shooting. It does not matter what you're shooting. If you cannot hit the target, you're going to die. Secondly, cost. It really is that simple. Lastly, capacity. I own the Sig MK 25, and with the Mec-Gar magazine, I get 18+1 of 9MM. Hard to beat! Shooting this weapon is almost like shooting a .22 LR. I also own the Glock 17 which gives you 17+1. Also hard to beat. I've traded all my .40s and now own the relatively new S&W M&P .45. It is a fine weapon which a lot of law enforcement agencies are going to, and it gives you 10+1. All these weapons offer higher capacity magazines, but I prefer the lower profile of standard size magazines for most purposes.

For me, the .40 is just too snappy, very expensive cost for ammunition, and I can shoot both the 9MM and .45 better. Granted .45 ammunition is still expensive, but it has a lower recoil than .40. Simply put, if the Navy SEALs and British SAS trust their lives to the Sig-Sauer P226 9MM I will also. I like the new Hornady Critical Duty 135 grain ammunition. It passed the FBI ballistics test, and I'm told it is really good stuff. Speer Gold Dot +P is also very good ammunition as is the Federal Hydra-Shock. What do I look for in a combat pistol? 1. Shot placement. If you can't hit our target, run like hell. 2. Stopping power. I know a lot of people believe and say the 9MM has no stopping power, but tell me that after I've put two through your heart and one in the head. With the extra capacity, you can afford to put a couple more in your target, and with today's technology, there really is no need for anything more powerful than the 9MM. 3. Reliability. 4. Safety. 5. Durability. 6. Cost. 7. Useability. By this I mean how quickly can you pull the pistol and shoot. The fewest things you have to do before you can put shots down range is an advantage. You're going to be hard pressed to beat the Glock for this. Some dealers offer the Glock with a Law Enforcement/Military discount, which means I can purcase a brand new Glock 17 Gen 4 for $399. You cannot beat that!!!

A pistol is first a defensive weapon system. In most cases, you will never engage a target beyond 10M with a pistol. Being able to hit your target is critical for survival, and the more bullets you have to throw down range, the better. In essence, go get yourself a proven 9MM and get on with it. I am partial to the Sig P226 MK 25. I just shoot a little better with it, but you cannot beat the Glock 17. It is the cheapest of all the weapons listed above, and with the low cost of the 9MM ammunition, high capacity magazines and smooth action with the reliability, safety and accuracy features really makes this the best off the shelf, out of the box combat pistol in the world. The double action trigger does take some getting used to, but once you get it down it is pretty nice. Consistent trigger pull is good!

Well this is my input. Hope it helps!

Top 5 Combat Handguns

So few XD's in this thread!

Love my XD9sc. Zero failures (about 1,700 rounds through my carry gun), shoots better than I can (though I keep practicing regularly!) and carries easily enough to carry it daily.

Admittedly, I haven't fired many of the guns listed here, though I do hope to ASAP! ;)

On my wish list, tho? Yeah, Sig P226 and a nice 1911.... Still haven't fired an M&P & curious to see if they live up to the hype.

1. CZ75 SP-01
    2. CZ75b
    3. Browning HP
    4. Any good 1911

Combat?

Well that rules out my low capacity carry guns. 13 rounds of 9mm through a 3" barrel isn't going to make a dent in a combat situation. If I was going to a gun fight I'd probably borrow a P229 40 cal. from somebody.

VIP Member
    If I were knowingly going into a combat situation, here is what I would want. Realize that if I were knowingly going into combat, my handgun would be a side arm to a long gun.

1. Glock 21 - dead nuts reliable & .45 ACP. Also has the best grip size for my hands.
    2. 1911 - BTDT and the operators always seem to gravitate toward 1911s when they can choose what to carry.
    3. FNS 9mm - better grip than the Glocks as it's checkering is deeper. If hands are covered in blood or mud, this will be easier to grip/control.
    4. Glock 17 - reliability & capacity

I don't really have a fifth.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I'd want the following if I was going into combat.

HK P30, HK 45C, Browning Hi Power, Wilson Combat 1911 and Glock 17.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

1. CZ 75 (any)
    2. Sig 226/229

Interesting that no one has added an AK pistol variant (any of them - take your pick).

Like others have said, most of our lists are guns we either have or have easy access to.
    hek1620 likes this.

I see a lot of opinion but little fact. No 9mm would ever be on a list of Top Combat handguns. maybe person Defense but not combat.
    Glock may make the list but not the top they are just not that good.

I pick all 9mm:) Glock 17, Glock 19, Caracal F, Caracal C, M&P 9 ...

Replace the Glock 17 If I could have a Glock 18 !

SIG 226 mk25. Good enough for the Seals.
    HK mk23. Good enough for the german commandos.
    Beretta 92. Good enough for SOCOM.
    Colt 1911, Good enough for MarSOC
    BHP. Good enough for her Majesty's SAS/SBS

Funny how no military unit that really is known for being "serious" choses a glock. Hmmmm.

Glocks are proven in "combat" whether it be law enforcement, military, contracting, even personal defense is "combat". It's a fighting pistol and a damn good one!

cz 97b 45acp - 10
    eaa tanfoglio full size 10mm - 15
    cz75 sp01 9mm - 19
    Para SX 14-45 - 14
    S&W mod 10 3" 38cal - 6

mostly steel - mostly hi-cap - mostly auto-loaders , but I'd sleep with the mod 10....

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    No 9mm would ever be on a list of Top Combat handguns.
    ... And yet we send out troops into battle with the M9 which is (gasp) a 9mm. Part of the reason I picked 2 9mms on my list is that on the battlefield, the ability to use scavenged ammo is a huge plus. While you might prefer another caliber, as do I, if a 9mm can reasonably be expected to give me free ammo when the lead is flying, I will take it in a heartbeat.
    helderberg likes this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Hmm, an old thread still alive. I will consider combat to mean an extended gunfight, regardless of the setting, that goes beyond the stereotypical few shots in a few seconds at close range.

My very personal five, in no particular order:

1. 1911, all-steel, full-sized, from a top-tier manufacturer. (No hobby-grade pistols need apply.)

2. S&W K/L-frame .357 Magnum revolver.

3. Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum revolver.

4. Glock G17.

5. Ruger SP101.

I had to think long and hard on number 5, but really, the SP101 has a grip just large enough to enable it to act more like a fighting revolver than a pocket revolver. If my primary weapon is going to be a long gun, and I am carrying a massive load-out of magazines and other equipment, I may well want a handgun to be small enough to stash in a small pouch or even a cargo
    pocket. Moreover, an SP101 makes a great junior partner for one of the larger .357 sixguns.

My reality is that I am not a soldier, but as a big-city PD patrol officer, with much critical infrastructure, and other potential targets for a Beslan/Mumbai-type of incident, I have to think about the potential for an extended gunfight. I do indeed carry an SP101 in the "Gun Junior" role.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Links