Top 5 Combat Handguns

This is a discussion on Top 5 Combat Handguns within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by frenchman SIG 226 mk25. Good enough for the Seals. HK mk23. Good enough for the german commandos. Beretta 92. Good enough for ...

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: Top 5 Combat Handguns

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchman View Post
    SIG 226 mk25. Good enough for the Seals.
    HK mk23. Good enough for the german commandos.
    Beretta 92. Good enough for SOCOM.
    Colt 1911, Good enough for MarSOC
    BHP. Good enough for her Majesty's SAS/SBS

Funny how no military unit that really is known for being "serious" choses a glock. Hmmmm.
    +1. When units are ALLOWED to choose, they choose the best. If the city council, and the LEO desk jockeys choose, they go with the cheapest possible. KABOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    It really is just a matter of personal preference.

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    +1. When units are ALLOWED to choose, they choose the best. If the city council, and the LEO desk jockeys choose, they go with the cheapest possible. KABOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Someone posted a picture here of CAG (Delta Force) carrying a Glock w/ an OD Green Mag ?? - AR15.COM

I suggest you read up on things. CAG is starting to use Glocks in .40.

GH
    An "unnamed " US Army Ranger company opted for Glock 21s & several Glock 22s several years ago. They had authorization to purchase about anything they wanted from local gun stores to use on deployment. They had at first wanted 1911s in .45 ACP but also wanted mag capacity.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Operations Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    my feelings. "combat" You better be deadly with whatever you carry!!!!!!!!!!!!!! myself i feel on with my kimber 1911

Top 5 fighting handguns... Sure. Glock, Glock, Glock, Glock, oh and Glock...
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    As has been mentioned, the possibility to interpret "combat" in so many different ways that I don't really know what you're looking for. So, I'm going to list the top 5 I'd want if I was wearing utilities and an 8 point cover again. The pistol will be secondary to a long gun in this situation and would only be used when the long gun failed or in the rare cases where a pistol is preferable.

1. Any quality 1911 (and by quality I don't mean so tight it'll shoot 1 inch groups at 100 yards. I mean comfortable and reliable.)
    2. HK USP 45c
    3. Sig 226. The 228 would be totally acceptable here as well.
    4. Glock 19 or 23- I shoot them better than I do the 17/22 size.
    5. HK P11... OK the instances where this gun would be useful are limited. But if you needed one you would REALLY need one. And it is one of the coolest guns I've ever seen.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

my xdm 3.8 9mm and an ak pistol with as many loaded mags for each as i could carry.

Walther P99? anybody ?
    Hobo_Hunter likes this.

In no particular order. Handguns that I would be willing to go to war with and give me complete confidence.

• Glock 19/17

• A proven 1911 - I prefer Wilson or Nighthawk, but anything proven from a quality manufacturer would be fine with me.

• M&P9 or 45

• HK 45 with the Light LEM trigger - though I prefer full size guns always, the standard or compact would be fine with this model for me.

• If I had to choose a 5th, it would be an older, German made Sig 226 I guess.

I've owned all of the above guns. As much as I like the HK 45, the only 45's I currently shoot and carry are 1911's and the 9mm's I shoot and carry are the Glock 17 and M&P9.

If this was for my use in a combat zone, it would depend on my team and my primary weapon. If my primary weapon was an AR and were doing direct action work, immediately returning to a safe zone, I'd choose a 1911. The capacity does not bother me, especially as a secondary weapon. I can shoot it fast and accurately, which would be important if my primary went down.

If I was not carrying a rifle or my primary objective was to patrol, then I'd prefer something like the Glock 17 with larger capacity as I wouldn't know how long I may be out or how LNG a fight may last.

If I was with a team, either would be fine whether filling a primary or secondary role. Though I'd likely choose the Glock if it was not direct action.

I work in close protection. I also do some training for law enforcement and some security consulting. My primary job is to avoid a fight. If that's not possible, my job is to fight my way out of it. I sometimes work alone, occasionally with one or two other guys and on a rare occassion, up to five others.

Working alone, I prefer a Glock 17 (or M&P9) with two spare mags on my belt with more in the vehicle. I also have a rifle in the vehicle. Working with others, whether one or five, I typically carry the Glock (or M&P). I picked up a Nighthawk the other day, so I'm sure il occasionally carry it at work as well. But, I'll likely stick to a higher capacity 9mm when working alone.

Well, this ended up being much longer and detailed than I thought! Since I nly read the first few posts, I may be way off the original topic here!

Jon
    Cleandean likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

well for combat id be looking for a external hammer with double and single action full sized hand gun
    like the m9 im not a big fan of the 9mm but you do have more rounds ive carried the m9 in combat but it wouldn't be the 1st on my list 3 mags 45 rounds
    1911 was traded out in 1989 for the m9
    so id like the 1911 but only hold 7 per mag some 8 and only SA and only carry 3 mag one in the weapon and two on you so that's only 21 rounds

1 1911
    2 m9
    3 Taurus pt 145 just because its my daily carry 3 mags 30 rounds how ever its not full sized its compact and no external hammer
    4 Taurus 809 holding 17 rounds full sized 51 rounds
    5 id like aglock20 or 29 10mm heck of a tack down im really not an expert in the glock models

that's my 5 pick and that's for really war combat

Distinguished Member Array Eric357's Avatar
    I am sad to say I have nothing that would fit into this list. The only semi I have is a 22lr sig mosquito. I have a Beretta 96 on layaway that I'l looking forward to getting as my first semi. So for me the only two guns I could take are the two I own.

1. Ruger gp100 5inch barrel .357
    2. ruger sp101 3 inch barrel .357

geuss I'm in trouble.

For combat there are only 3 I'd go with:

HK 45c
    CZ P-01
    Glock 19

All of these fit my grip nicely and have been tested to death.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

Top 5 Combat Handguns

1) GLOCK 21 Gen4
    2) GLOCK 20 Gen4
    3) FNP45 Tactical
    4) Sig 227
    5) HK 45 Tactical

i would go with:

glock 23
    glock 18
    m&p 357 revolver
    fn five seven
    baby desert eagle 45acp