Please talk me out of it (or into it I guess if you have one and its a must).

This is a discussion on Please talk me out of it (or into it I guess if you have one and its a must). within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went to my LGS and low and behold they had the EMP 9MM, wow what a gun, it fit my hand perfectly and my ...

I went to my LGS and low and behold they had the EMP 9MM, wow what a gun, it fit my hand perfectly and my wife liked it to (she did not like the $1150 price tag tho) Does anyone carry one of these and is the reliability there, and if you had to do over would you still spend that much.
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
    - Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

Administrator
    I'd buy a Kahr long before I bought an EMP.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I got a Khar but if it fits and the miss says ok.....

sgb
    The EMP is a dang fine smokepole
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    I had a EMP 9mm with G10 grips.
    I was able to get it NIB for $975 shipped off Gunbroker, add transfer fee and it was about $1,000 OTD.
    The EMP 9mm had a mild recoil with standard pressure ammunition, +P is not recommended by SA.
    Mine worked great, sold it to fund a more expensive firearm.
    I still have a EMP 40, it won out with me vs the 9mm; the 40 has a steel frame which compensates for the additional recoil of the 40.
    For a female shooter the EMP 9mm is a good choice if they want a 1911 design (cocked & locked).
    You can get that oversize magazine cut to be flush fitting by log man (a member of the 1911 forum), if you don't like the base sticking out.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I've had an EMP in 9mm for a couple of years now. Sadly, I have turned it into a safe queen because it's just too beautiful to shoot. How sick is that? I doubt I will ever sell it. It's right up there with my Ruger Redhawk in .44 mag.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GunGeezer View Post
    I've had an EMP in 9mm for a couple of years now. Sadly, I have turned it into a safe queen because it's just too beautiful to shoot. How sick is that? I doubt I will ever sell it. It's right up there with my Ruger Redhawk in .44 mag.
    I would kind of go along with the Geezer. I don't think I could bring myself to carry a $1200 gun when there are equally good choices for half that amount.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedomofchoice View Post
    I would kind of go along with the Geezer. I don't think I could bring myself to carry a $1200 gun when there are equally good choices for half that amount.
    Money is all relative. I know many folks don't want to hear it, but it's true. I carry an EMP .40 all the time and it's a great accurate firearm. I also own a Khar and it's not in the same world as my EMP. The Khar is a great little firearm though!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I have been actually thinking of getting an EMP in .40S&W later this year (some time in the late fall possibly). I do wish they were closer to $800 or so. I still need to actually handle one in person at a LGS or a gun show to be sure.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZGlock13 View Post
    I have been actually thinking of getting an EMP in .40S&W later this year (some time in the late fall possibly). I do wish they were closer to $800 or so. I still need to actually handle one in person at a LGS or a gun show to be sure.
    Go shoot one. They are great shooters! You will be very surprised with the accuracy.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Well I can tell you this I have the the Kahr pm9 and I agree that it is not in the same world as the EMP and that is my dilema (I dont really think I want to sell the Kahr tho) the gun store does have layaway and ive used it before so maybe thats the answer. Another thing that bothers me is my wife is wishy washy about carrying and was just as impressed with the gun as I was (ok maybe not as much) but anyway if she does not carry I dont know that I would carry it over my Sig Sauer 1911. So it may end up being a safe queen.
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
    - Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

that price is too expensive for that gun

I spent the better part of a year trying to rationalize a 9mm EMP; which is unusual for me. If I'm breathing hard and my palms are sweaty, it usually takes me about 15 minutes. It all came down to price, however. I kept comparing price, feautres, feedback, etc. Eventually, I realized I had been seduced by the 1911 WOW factor.

I love 1911s and have ever since I first shot one in the military. For me, they touch something visceral. If I had the money I'm sure I would of had one in less than 15 minutes. However, for less than $400 OTD, I carry a a sub 9mm, same round count, and as accurate as 65 year old eyes and a shaky hand can make it. Beats selling a kidney, I suppose.
    NRA Lifer Since 1971

I own the EMP9 and have had lots of trouble with it. Light primer strikes, won't lock open on last round. I sent it back to Springfield on their dime to have worked over. It came back about a week later and the first trip to the range and 150 rounds later I experienced no problems and was encouraged. The second trip not so much. More FTFire (light strikes) and some problems with lock open. On several occasions I had to manually cock the hammer back twice to get the round off.

I am waiting to hear from SA customer service about this. I will send it in again, but I feel that this pistol is a lemon. A $1K+ firearm should function flawlessly. My KIMBER Ultra CDP II has never failed me.

I all fairness I will say that it is wicked accurate at 7 yards. A fellow at the range noticed it and asked if he could try it out as he was considering buying one. He put 9 rounds in a circle the size of a quarter.

SA has to make it 100% reliable.
    Last edited by GoldDot; January 23rd, 2012 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Addenda

Links