1911 upgrade options, what have you done to yours and why?

This is a discussion on 1911 upgrade options, what have you done to yours and why? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I upgraded my Kimber Custom II and I haven't even received it yet. Lol. I ordered some Wilson Combat mags due to reading a lot ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: 1911 upgrade options, what have you done to yours and why?

I upgraded my Kimber Custom II and I haven't even received it yet. Lol. I ordered some Wilson Combat mags due to reading a lot about feeding issues with Kimber mags. Plus, when it finally arrives, it is only coming with one mag.

I look forward to shooting it stock and breaking it in for the first 500 rounds.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

2. Remove Ads

My current carry is a Kimber Pro Carry II Stainless. I added Crimson Trace laser grips, Kimber Pro Tac extended mags, Wolff recoil springs, and TrueGlo TFO sights.

OD*
    The great thing about a 1911 is that you can do so much to it. The bad thing about a 1911 is that you can do so much to it.
    bmcgilvray and Thylacine like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

I did a lot to my stainless 1991A1. Lefty so Muscheke ambi safety, fit a Wilson bushing, titanium FP, hammer strut, and cap. Spurless bobbed hammer and no beavertail, I cut off the stock one to fit flush with the frame. Wilson sear/disconnector fit to that hammer. Wolff springs. Flush fit slide stop. New grips x 10 or so sets with engraved grip screws. 2 piece guide rod (and yes, it shoots better that way, I tried it). I put on a checkered arched mainspring housing and after much trial amd error and error, and trial, and error, fit a short and flat trigger with no curve at all. Polished up the rest, kept the series 80 parts. Then I built another on a series 70 in case it has to go to an evidence locker some day. The 70 is identical except its hard chrome instead of stainless. I also have a very similar Ace, also hard chrome.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Administrator
    You're a Lefty? Have you seen the Cabot Guns SOUTHPAW - a completely inverted match grade 1911. Everything is reversed. The ejection port - the extractor, ejector, thumb safety, slide stop, magazine release & you'll also need LEFTY magazines.

A beautiful, (expensive) 1911. It's 5 GRAND but, if I was a south paw I'd save up my pennies and make it my one personal 1911.

Check it out. South Paw Cabot Gun, an American Gun Company

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    I did a lot to my stainless 1991A1. Lefty so Muscheke ambi safety, fit a Wilson bushing, titanium FP, hammer strut, and cap. Spurless bobbed hammer and no beavertail, I cut off the stock one to fit flush with the frame. Wilson sear/disconnector fit to that hammer. Wolff springs. Flush fit slide stop. New grips x 10 or so sets with engraved grip screws. 2 piece guide rod (and yes, it shoots better that way, I tried it). I put on a checkered arched mainspring housing and after much trial amd error and error, and trial, and error, fit a short and flat trigger with no curve at all. Polished up the rest, kept the series 80 parts. Then I built another on a series 70 in case it has to go to an evidence locker some day. The 70 is identical except its hard chrome instead of stainless. I also have a very similar Ace, also hard chrome.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I love it, well except for the magazines, but I bet I could modify my old Wilsons. And If I had to pay for the labor on mine to a "real gunsmith" the cost is probably about the same. Mine is a 20 year work in progress.

As I think about it, though....

Didn't someone try this before? I'm going to do some Googleing. Maybe Randall made a lefty .45 in the eighties?
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    As I think about it, though....

Didn't someone try this before? I'm going to do some Googleing. Maybe Randall made a lefty .45 in the eighties?
    You are correct, Randall Firearms Company was the first to make one, in 1984, IIRC? Safari Arms (now Olympic Arms) also made a left handed version.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

VIP Member
    I put a recoil buffer on my 5' and 4 ' but I don't think you can on the small 3'. They don't recommend the buffer for a carry gun. The are around 5-8 bucks for 4-8 of them.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    I guess I am old school. 1911a1.jpg has ran just perfect right out of the box.
    lowercase likes this.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    I upgraded my magazines, changed the springs in one (used gun) and changed the stocks, that's about all I've done to mine, just shoot it!
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

Both my Officer's model(which I'll comment about for this thread)and my Gov't were purchased new in the mid-80's when Colt's were NOT coming from the factory set-up for anything but hardball ammo. So my OM was Polished/Throated,Trigger Job, Novak Rear/Millet Front Sights,Ejection Port lowered,Extended Thumb safety. Currently it has an EGW guide-rod with ISMI spring. My work was done over a few years by Wilson's,Richard Heinie, Dino from Siles in NYC. On the small 1911's I prefer a full-length guide-rod, BUT NOT in my Series 70 Gov't. Colt's and other 1911's produced in the last 10 years or so probably would NOT need anything but maybe a set of low-profile sights. Hope this helped. I prefer KISS guns(I carried S&W Revolvers then Glocks as an LEO),but the 1911's I purchased NEEDED the reliability work. I carry Wilson Combat mags in my OM BTW!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    My last 1911 purchase was a Colt Combat Elite, I bought the gun to have it refined to my personal tastes for a heirloom 1911 I would carry, shoot and one day pass on. I have yet to send it off even though there are a couple of issues I really need resolved. I immediately removed the FLGR and added a GI unit and plug by Ed Brown. Factory Colt magazines were relegated to range use and replaced with Wilson 47D's for carry.

Colt's are sharp, very sharp which I prefer to a belt sanded 1911 that has lost it's sexy lines, but my Colt needs the slide, thumb safety and frame lightly de-burred. I replaced the MSH with a steel checkered Wilson Wedge, but ended up selling it and putting the Colt MSH back on for the time being as I didn't like the feel of the angled model. I'll need to get a flat checkered MSH from Ed Brown. I didn't like the 1/2 checkered Colt grips that come on the CE, they were very orange in tone so they were replaced by some nice Cocobolo full checkered grips by a local artist.

Things for the gunsmith: The Smith and Alexander GS isn't fitted to my liking and will need to be redone, front strap checkered 20lpi, Novak sights may be replaced with 10-8 plain U notch rear and Novak gold bead front. Barrel re-crowned below the barrel bushing possibly a match bushing fitted hand tight, although I've gotten exceptional accuracy from the standard bushing and match barrel. Bead blast the stainless polished frame possible refinish to dull black Ceracoat slide; may include frame as well depending on my mood at the time.

The Colt has run 100% even with old Speer 200gr. Flying Ashtrays. I appreciate the firearm as is, but it is as sharp as a razor, the other features I could live without, but will make the Colt more user friendly and fit my tastes.

Current Colt Combat Elite:
    Attachment 55701
    ************************************************** ************************************************** **
    My OM can handle those old beauties too. GREAT round!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Quote Originally Posted by Billiebob View Post
    Good afternoon everyone,
    I just purchased the new Springfield Micro 1911 .45 and must say I love it. Being a relatively "new" handgun owner I've been scouring the forums for information on upgrades and why. If you've upgraded "your" 1911, what have you done and why?
    Put some Ivory grips on that puppy and your good to go.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links