1911 upgrade options, what have you done to yours and why?

This is a discussion on 1911 upgrade options, what have you done to yours and why? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Good afternoon everyone, I just purchased the new Springfield Micro 1911 .45 and must say I love it. Being a relatively "new" handgun owner I've ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: 1911 upgrade options, what have you done to yours and why?

1911 upgrade options, what have you done to yours and why?

Good afternoon everyone,
    I just purchased the new Springfield Micro 1911 .45 and must say I love it. Being a relatively "new" handgun owner I've been scouring the forums for information on upgrades and why. If you've upgraded "your" 1911, what have you done and why?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Yup, I upgraded mine to a Glock, for all the usual reasons.

I would upgrade the entire thing to a Commander or Goverment model, as that's the way they were designed. When you start dickering with them is when problems arise.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I bought a used RIA Tactical. I've only changed the grips, springs and barrel bushing and bought a Wilson mag. The grips because the stock ones are horrendous and look like crap. The springs and barrel bushing because it was used and it was more for piece of mind. The mag because they're good mags and it only came with one. there are a lot of mods for 1911s but it's not worth it to me on an entry level 1911.

I upgraded magazines. That's all that I plan to change.

I might buy some different stocks some day, but that's purely cosmetic.
    Herknav likes this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I put Hogue grips on my RIA CS and called it a day!
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    My last 1911 purchase was a Colt Combat Elite, I bought the gun to have it refined to my personal tastes for a heirloom 1911 I would carry, shoot and one day pass on. I have yet to send it off even though there are a couple of issues I really need resolved. I immediately removed the FLGR and added a GI unit and plug by Ed Brown. Factory Colt magazines were relegated to range use and replaced with Wilson 47D's for carry.

Colt's are sharp, very sharp which I prefer to a belt sanded 1911 that has lost it's sexy lines, but my Colt needs the slide, thumb safety and frame lightly de-burred. I replaced the MSH with a steel checkered Wilson Wedge, but ended up selling it and putting the Colt MSH back on for the time being as I didn't like the feel of the angled model. I'll need to get a flat checkered MSH from Ed Brown. I didn't like the 1/2 checkered Colt grips that come on the CE, they were very orange in tone so they were replaced by some nice Cocobolo full checkered grips by a local artist.

Things for the gunsmith: The Smith and Alexander GS isn't fitted to my liking and will need to be redone, front strap checkered 20lpi, Novak sights may be replaced with 10-8 plain U notch rear and Novak gold bead front. Barrel re-crowned below the barrel bushing possibly a match bushing fitted hand tight, although I've gotten exceptional accuracy from the standard bushing and match barrel. Bead blast the stainless polished frame possible refinish to dull black Ceracoat slide; may include frame as well depending on my mood at the time.

The Colt has run 100% even with old Speer 200gr. Flying Ashtrays. I appreciate the firearm as is, but it is as sharp as a razor, the other features I could live without, but will make the Colt more user friendly and fit my tastes.

Current Colt Combat Elite:
    DSC00770.jpg

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    I up graded mags in both of my Kimbers and had night sights put on my Crimson Pro Carry II.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

Administrator
    I carried a micro for a long time. I upgraded the magazines, then I upgraded me. That was fun. The more rounds I put through it and made them count, the better the gun shot. Funny how that works. The best part was, all the money and efforts on that upgrade transitions to the next gun too.
    bmcgilvray and shooterX like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I've got a Kimber Custom TLE II that I've had for several years. It came with checkering on the front strap, night sights, and comfortable grips. So, I haven't felt the need to "upgrade" anything. It is accurate and reliable just as it is.
    Thylacine likes this.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

VIP Member
    If it's already running for you, I'd let it be and focus upgrade dollars on ammo and precise practice.

I've always wanted a Springfield 1911 Micro...

I have a RIA 1911A1 5" and have only swapped the grips (double diamond cocobolo), grip screws (stainless), and magazine (Wilson 47D).

My next upgrade will be to trade it to my brother for a Glock 26 because I just had a bunch of expensive tuning done by the gunsmith, and the thing still isn't reliable enough for my tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I carried a micro for a long time. I upgraded the magazines, then I upgraded me. That was fun. The more rounds I put through it and made them count, the better the gun shot. Funny how that works. The best part was, all the money and efforts on that upgrade transitions to the next gun too.

And above, find that the true secret to 1911 happiness is revealed for all to come to understand. Read it again and allow it to soak in.

Leave off the temptation to customize anything and just shoot the stock gun as it came to you. Oh, one can add a beaver-tail grip safety if hammer-bite is an issue or he can pretty it up with fancy grips if desired. But don't go messing with the gun at all.

Shoot it a lot for months on end until you get to know it in its pristine stock form before peeling off perfectly good parts to exchange for other similar parts, whittling around on ramps, ejection ports, and whatnot, tweaking triggers, or performing abusive slide-tightening tricks learned 3rd hand from some back alley source.

I've strictly left the 1911s completely alone that are kept around here. A couple have become minor "collectors' items" since I acquired them so don't need to be monkeyed with at this point. A Colt Gold Cup suits the purpose admirably for which it was originally created, which is bulls eye competition. Just today I committed to the purchase of an additional Colt Government Model to be used as general purpose shooting and concealed carry pistol. I intend to leave it completely alone. I've never had problems with Colts and neither have other family members or close associates who have, for many years, owned Colt models of the famous design.

The very best thing one can upgrade is the amount of quality trigger time spent with the pistol rather than any customization.
    JDE101, shooterX and Herknav like this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Administrator
    All of my 1911s are Colt & I've extensively upgraded all of them. WHY? Mostly because I enjoy working on them more than they needed to be upgraded but, I like my guns to be exactly the way I want them.
    I also really appreciate the ultra high quality of the available aftermarket parts.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I have a Springfield Loaded Champion, it comes with nite sights. I upgraded to Crimson Trace Laser grip and picked up 3 Chip McCormick Power Mags. They give you and extra round capacity and work smoother than the stock mags.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links