Mixing action types in carry guns

This is a discussion on Mixing action types in carry guns within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What are everyone's thoughts on "mixing" action types if someone wants/needs to have a few carry weapon choices? While not a huge fan of the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Mixing action types in carry guns

What are everyone's thoughts on "mixing" action types if someone wants/needs to have a few carry weapon choices?

While not a huge fan of the .380, I have times when I will want or need an ultra/concealable or pocket gun. I have shot an LCP - hated it, felt like it was jumping out of my hand and had to correct my grip twice while emptying the gun. Then tried a bodyguard - felt much more secure, but punished my hand severely while shooting. I shot it will, but still not a big fan.

I have held the SIG P238. I LOVE the way it feels, although I have not fired one yet.

When not pocket carrying, I am thinking of some larger/higher capacity guns, something in a high capacity 9mm or maybe even 45 compact such as an SR9C, XD 3.8, or similar (referring to guns that feel good and point well for me, havent fired them yet either), likely for IWB carry. My daily work-day attire is biz casual, usually tucked in. After hours I am in cargo shorts and an oversize t-shirt. By the way, I am new to this, I have my appointment in 2 weeks at the DoA...

My concern is the thought of switching between a condition one single action gun, and a striker fired gun with no safety (or one that I likely would not use a'la the SR9C).

Should I be really concerned about this? I know it will require extra training, but will I be at a huge disadvantage? Should I just suck it up and use a bodyguard as the pocket gun so I can switch more easily?

I did some searching and didn't find anything too helpful...

Thanks!
    Steve

2. Remove Ads

I like to keep all of my handguns the same. No safeties and DAO. Nothing to think about other than pulling the trigger.
    Divebum47, 10thmtn and Toorop like this.

Ideally, all your defensive guns would be the same type of action. But is it a life-or-death issue? You can only answer that for yourself. This was the subject of a heated thread a few weeks ago. Much as some of us can get behind the wheel of a car and not become befuddled as to whether it's a stick shift or an automatic, some of us can jump from a Glock to a revolver to a 1911 without hesitation and hit the intended target. It comes down to your level of commitment to practice with the platforms you use and to develop proficiency with each.
    JDE101, Spec, Chief1297 and 5 others like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Ideally, all your defensive guns would be the same type of action. But is it a life-or-death issue? You can only answer that for yourself. This was the subject of a heated thread a few weeks ago. Much as some of us can get behind the wheel of a car and not become befuddled as to whether it's a stick shift or an automatic, some of us can jump from a Glock to a revolver to a 1911 without hesitation and hit the intended target. It comes down to your level of commitment to practice with the platforms you use and to develop proficiency with each.
    Well said.
    devo6684 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I switch my carry up between a SA/DA Sig P229 and a Colt 1911 SA. I don't worry about not flipping off a safety or hitting a decocker when I shouldn't I practice enough with them to be proficient and both feel like extensions of my hand.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

I suppose a guy ought not to mix them up, but I do and so does just about everybody I know of. SA/DA SIGs, DAO XDm and M&P, SA 1911, or S&W revolver, who knows what I'll grab. But I don't get too worried.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

If you have to milk a gun after each shot fired then you should check to see if you are practicing a good grip and stance, if you are, then that gun just isn't for you. If the only downfall of the bodyguard is it hurts when you shoot it then thats great.. it's a gun...with enough practice you'll get used to it.

As with everything else in the world consistency and practice are key; if you can shoot a baretta, 686, and a glock 30 efficiently and affectively then great. If not, then stick with what you know.
    "When that gun comes out of that holster; it's business time." -Chris Costa

I still sweep my thumb for a saftey on all of my cary guns, some have it some do not, train for it and it is a non issue. The trigger pull is a bit of a different story.
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

VIP Member
    Just like gasmitty said. Whatever I grab at the moment is fine.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

"What are everyone's thoughts on "mixing" action types if someone wants/needs to have a few carry weapon choices?"

I think it's great. I intend to do it regularly.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

My carry choices include Smith 915 (DA/SA) and full-size 1911 (SA). Colorado CCW permits say "any handgun." I'm comfortable and proficient with them owing to training and repetition. It's nice to have choices. And remember... you always have a right to change your mind.
    "A man's got to know his limitations." Inspector Harry Callahan

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Oh, I don't know, but I can easily go from driving a stick shift to an auto transmission in a vehicle--and that's a much more dangerous item than a gun.

My carry guns are a Glock and 3 Gen S&Ws DA/SA so it really amounts to no more than pulling the trigger with either.
    claude clay likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Administrator
    The Human Brain.
    We've been to the Moon & back. We've designed & built human exoskeletons. We've accomplished an entire surgical face transplant.

We are amazing intelligent creatures.

I think we're mentally capable of handling "Thumb Safety - No Thumb Safety" even when the "S" Hits The Fan.

We built the Hedron Collider.

The analogy of switching from a stick to an automatic tranny in your car is a false one - you are not in fear for your life when driving normally. Adrenaline and fear do funny things to you...

OP - You are new at this, and that is an advantage. If you train with a pistol that has a thumb safety, and then also carry another that has no thumb safety, you will simply sweep off a thumb safety that is not there. For those of us who started out with pistols with no thumb safeties, I think it is a steeper training curve to then start carrying a pistol with one - much greater risk of forgetting to sweep off the safety in that case.

As far as the LCP goes - did you use the magazine with the finger extension? That makes a huge difference, IMHO. It turns a weak 1 1/2-finger grip into a secure 2-finger grip.

I'm not a fan of a SA pistol like the Sig P238 in a pocket. With the hammer locked back, there is a risk of getting lint and dust in between the hammer and the firing pin, causing a misfire. This can be mitigated by diligent cleaning, but only you can decide if you are diligent enough to do that regularly.

You will find that there are a lot of folks here who simply like guns, and they like many different guns, with different actions, and they want a variety to carry, and just to have. IMHO, you will be better off, especially at first, sticking with getting proficient with one type of action. You can always try other things later.

Hope this is helpful, good luck.
    Rockymonster likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

What are everyone's thoughts on "mixing" action types if someone wants/needs to have a few carry weapon choices?
    I've done it for years. I don't see it as a problem for me personally. I own and like a variety of guns and consider it wise to be proficient with all of them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links