NEW: Springfield XDS Single Stack .45ACP Micro - Page 6

NEW: Springfield XDS Single Stack .45ACP Micro

This is a discussion on NEW: Springfield XDS Single Stack .45ACP Micro within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; looks nice,depends on price point.......size of a sub 1911,weight of a 1911 and 2 bullets less than a sub1911...

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: NEW: Springfield XDS Single Stack .45ACP Micro

Senior Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    looks nice,depends on price point.......size of a sub 1911,weight of a 1911 and 2 bullets less than a sub1911

eb
    Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    29 oz is a brick for a single stack anything. My XD 45 Compact weighs just a tad more than that....and I agree. Great gun.
    A 20oz XD single stack anything would be on my short list because I shoot them really well, mushy trigger and all. I'm disappointed that Springfield couldn't find a way to bring us a more "carry friendly" pistol for those of us that live in the tropics and don't wear a lot of clothes. During Florida summers, less is definitely more. Just ain't a whole lot of places to hide a gun when you're wearing a t-shirt, bathing suit, and flip-flops.
    Sounds to me like you're just not the target audience. There are a number of guns on the market for you already. I live at 8000' in the Colorado mountains, so carrying a fullsize-gun is no problem pretty much any time of the year. When it gets warmer in the summer, I just wear a pair of shorts and a untucked button down. Works for me.

I started out carrying smaller guns and actually went the other way and started carrying larger ones. If the SHTF, I want as much 45acp as I can carry. I'll buy one of these XDS' simply because I'm a fan of the platform. In the rare event I determine I need to carry a smaller gun, which happens hardly ever, it would be a candidate...

Quote Originally Posted by sonnycrocket View Post
    looks nice,depends on price point.......size of a sub 1911,weight of a 1911 and 2 bullets less than a sub1911
    Likely for 1/2 the cost of a sub 1911
    ConcealedXDm likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by eb View Post
    I started out carrying smaller guns and actually went the other way and started carrying larger ones. If the SHTF, I want as much 45acp as I can carry. I'll buy one of these XDS' simply because I'm a fan of the platform. In the rare event I determine I need to carry a smaller gun, which happens hardly ever, it would be a candidate...
    - I can understand if you're a fan of the XD's. If you don't mind carrying a larger gun, why would you choose a single stack that is fractionally thinner than the lighter (27oz.) double stack (XDm 3.8 Compact)? I don't really see the advantage of the single stack in this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by eb View Post
    Yeah really, don't buy it then. There are plenty of us that will. I'm a grown man, 29oz doesn't mean crap, lol.
    As a grown man myself, I have complete control over my trigger finger and a complete understanding of firearm safety rules. But for others who refuse to give firearm safety the attention it deserves, I suppose a grip safety is a good thing.

Springfield certainly knows their market.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

eb
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaquero 45 View Post
    As a grown man myself, I have complete control over my trigger finger and a complete understanding of firearm safety rules. But for others who refuse to give firearm safety the attention it deserves, I suppose a grip safety is a good thing.

Not sure what your point is, but if you're insinuating that I don't have a "complete understanding of firearm safety rules"... you'd be talking "junk" out of your ass frankly. If I misunderstood, then my apologies.

I actually like the grip safety personally, I think its a good feature. I also have a dozen other guns I could and sometimes do carry, that have no such thing. Haven't shot myself yet with either variety, but it doesn't mean that the additional safety is stupid or useless.

eb
    Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    - I can understand if you're a fan of the XD's. If you don't mind carrying a larger gun, why would you choose a single stack that is fractionally thinner than the lighter (27oz.) double stack (XDm 3.8 Compact)? I don't really see the advantage of the single stack in this situation.
    Well, to quote my quote that you quoted, to answer your question...

"I'll buy one of these XDS' simply because I'm a fan of the platform. In the rare event I determine I need to carry a smaller gun, which happens hardly ever, it would be a candidate..."

We have an XDm 3.8 compact 45 as well. Its marginally smaller than my standard XD 45c, both in length and height. Not enough so to make much difference in carry though. Thats also a great gun, very reliable, and very accurate. Eats anything ammo-wise, just like the other XDs.

Not much difference, the XDm 3.8 is on the bottom. I'll be curious to see how this new XDS looks in person and compares size-wise...

VIP Member
    I'd like to compare it with the Kahr CW45.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

So, as a grown man, I suppose you hate 1911's as well. You know, since they have a grip safety, and all...

Since your fundamentals are so great, why carry a gun with a safety at all? Ditch the trigger and drop safety of the glock, since you don't plan on dropping the gun, and you don't ever plan on the trigger snagging. There couldn't possibly be any extraneous circumstances that could arise to take advantage of a safety feature. Say, I don't know, a struggle. I'm curious if you carry a revolver with the hammer cocked for single action, as well.

Ok, I'm done with my sarcasm, but I didn't appreciate the jab at mine, and others, intelligence who enjoy the XD platform. I can assure you that neither myself, nor multitudes of people who like this platform are lacking in any safety fundamentals.
    kb2wji likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus222 View Post
    So, as a grown man, I suppose you hate 1911's as well. You know, since they have a grip safety, and all...

Since your fundamentals are so great, why carry a gun with a safety at all? Ditch the trigger and drop safety of the glock, since you don't plan on dropping the gun, and you don't ever plan on the trigger snagging. There couldn't possibly be any extraneous circumstances that could arise to take advantage of a safety feature. Say, I don't know, a struggle. I'm curious if you carry a revolver with the hammer cocked for single action, as well.

Ok, I'm done with my sarcasm, but I didn't appreciate the jab at mine, and others, intelligence who enjoy the XD platform. I can assure you that neither myself, nor multitudes of people who like this platform are lacking in any safety fundamentals.
    Actually, I'd be just fine with ditching the trigger "safety" on the Glock, as I find it pointless. The drop safety is another matter, pistols are used in violent confrontations, and may be subject to being dropped.
    Never said I "hate" XDs. I just don't have any use for them and their silly grip safety that locks up the slide and needlessly complicates operations. It certainly doesn't help that they are about the heaviest poly pistols on the market and ugly as a mud fence to boot. A lack of armorer support, the fact that the "Springfield Armory" name is just a marketing gimmick, and the near absence of the XD line from the LE/military arena says all that I need to know about the pistols.

Maybe Springfield will come out with a .410 revolver next.

Another look at the XDs

this is the gun i asked for when some one posted name your wish gun or something to that affect. i would like to upgrade to this

I watched the video full screen and looked closely at the specs, which are printed to the left of where the Springfield rep is standing and talking. Sure enough, it says 29 ounces. A 5+1 pistol that weighs MORE than a FULL SIZE M&P 45, and only 1/2 ounce less than a Glock 21. Brilliant, Springfield. Simply an amazing feat of engineering.

Maybe the specs on the XDs display are a misprint. It wouldn't surprise me, since when asked how this pistol compares to a Glock 36, the clueless rep says that he "hasn't seen that one." Hasn't seen a Glock 36? Does this guy work in the firearms industry, or did they pick some random dude from off of the street and throw a Springfield Armory T-shirt on him? Wow.

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    I read on another forum (can't remember which exactly) where someone called springfield and 29 ounces is the correct weight. My theory is that they keep the guns heavy on purpose to gain more import points. You get one import point per ounce.

I watched the video full screen and looked closely at the specs, which are printed to the left of where the Springfield rep is standing and talking. Sure enough, it says 29 ounces. A 5+1 pistol that weighs MORE than a FULL SIZE M&P 45, and only 1/2 ounce less than a Glock 21. Brilliant, Springfield. Simply an amazing feat of engineering.

Maybe the specs on the XDs display are a misprint. It wouldn't surprise me, since when asked how this pistol compares to a Glock 36, the clueless rep says that he "hasn't seen that one." Hasn't seen a Glock 36? Does this guy work in the firearms industry, or did they pick some random dude from off of the street and throw a Springfield Armory T-shirt on him? Wow.

Actually, I'd be just fine with ditching the trigger "safety" on the Glock, as I find it pointless. The drop safety is another matter, pistols are used in violent confrontations, and may be subject to being dropped.
    Never said I "hate" XDs. I just don't have any use for them and their silly grip safety that locks up the slide and needlessly complicates operations. It certainly doesn't help that they are about the heaviest poly pistols on the market and ugly as a mud fence to boot. A lack of armorer support, the fact that the "Springfield Armory" name is just a marketing gimmick, and the near absence of the XD line from the LE/military arena says all that I need to know about the pistols.

Maybe Springfield will come out with a .410 revolver next.
    It's all good. There are plenty of manufacturers out there that I don't agree with - and don't like their platforms, either.

As for the video... He hasn't even seen a glock 36??? I thought this would be a target market for the XDs.

Quote Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
    I read on another forum (can't remember which exactly) where someone called springfield and 29 ounces is the correct weight. My theory is that they keep the guns heavy on purpose to gain more import points. You get one import point per ounce.
    I didn't know this system existed until this post. Here is what you have to meet to qualify for the ATF. Apparently, you have to get a score of 75.

Length: 1 point for each 1/4 inch over 6 inches.
    Forged steel frame: 15 points
    Forged HTS alloy frame: 20 points
    Unloaded weight (w/mag): 1 point per ounce.
    .22 short or .25 auto: 0 points
    .22 LR and 7.65 mm to .380 auto: 3 points
    9mm parabellum and over: 10 points
    Locked breech mechanism: 5 points
    Loaded chamber indicator: 5 points
    Grip safety: 3 points
    Magazine safety: 5 points
    Firing pin block or lock: 10 points
    External hammer: 2 points
    Double action: 10 points
    Drift adjustable target sight: 5 points
    Click adjustable target sight: 10 points
    Target grips: 5 points
    Target trigger: 2 points.

So.... Which rear end did they pull this list out of? Well, let me check one more box on my list off "Reasons Why the ATF Needs to be Canned".

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Links