NEW: Springfield XDS Single Stack .45ACP Micro - Page 7

NEW: Springfield XDS Single Stack .45ACP Micro

This is a discussion on NEW: Springfield XDS Single Stack .45ACP Micro within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ^^^^....this is why the G25 & G28 can not be brought into the States for commercial sale, I believe they scored like 72 or 73 ...

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: NEW: Springfield XDS Single Stack .45ACP Micro

^^^^....this is why the G25 & G28 can not be brought into the States for commercial sale, I believe they scored like 72 or 73 points.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

The 'import points' regulations explains a lot.
    It all makes sense now.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Brass63 View Post
    The 'import points' regulations explains a lot.
    It all makes sense now.
    Not really.

The Glock 36 is imported. It weighs about 22 ounces empty, with mag. .45 caliber, same as the XDs.
    The Taurus PT745 is 20.8 ounces, with an overall length of six inches. .45 caliber.
    Width of the pistol doesn't seem to be a factor in import points, so it doesn't matter.

Must be something else.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Good point. But why don't they import the Glock .380s then?
    Perhaps those models you listed were 'grandfathered' in... or balanced out with other models made by the same manufacturer???
    (e.g. average mpg requirements with the auto makers.)
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

No grandfathering or corporate average with BATF import points, as far as I know.
    Looking at the list of import points, .380 gets only 3 points, 9mm and above gets 10.
    Maybe the steel and polymer that they use is as dense as their sales rep.

Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    serious carriers snivel at 1/10" extra width or 2 or 3 oz in weight. May make the difference whether you can carry the gun all day or it becomes a safe queen. Newbies always think they can 24/7 carry a 60oz Desert Eagle.....and I just nod my head and grin. Yeah, sure. Check back with me next month and let me know how its goin' for ya.
    Agreed.

And another thing... don't think of it as just ounces... think of it as a percentage. When compared to the CW45 the XDS weighs 30% more and has 15% less fire power.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I'd like to compare it with the Kahr CW45.
    PM45 as well.

I have yet to see anything about the weight being loaded or unloaded. Clarification of that will help. Someone mentioned it as a pocket gun. Rob Leatham indicated IWB not pocket carry to which this makes sense. As to round counts, you guys are brutal. I wold take 6 rounds of 45 ACP rather than 5 rounds of anything else in a revolver and I like revolvers. But, the revolver is not less than one inch wide. I am totally amazed at the snobbery within the gun community. My stand is if it goes bang and you like it, then it is a good gun. If and company comes out with an undesirable product the market will take care of that due to lack of sales. That is called free market economy. Shame on us for trashing people/products who are actually on our side!

Quote Originally Posted by Armydad View Post
    I have yet to see anything about the weight being loaded or unloaded. Clarification of that will help.
    - It was mentioned in the earlier review that I linked that 29 oz is unloaded.

Quote Originally Posted by Armydad View Post
    I am totally amazed at the snobbery within the gun community. My stand is if it goes bang and you like it, then it is a good gun. If and company comes out with an undesirable product the market will take care of that due to lack of sales. That is called free market economy. Shame on us for trashing people/products who are actually on our side!
    - I don't think anyone wants the Springfield XDS to have poor sales. Most complaints are about it's weight compared to its two closest competitors. The Kahr CW45, PM45 and the Glock 36. The Kahr CW45 is American made, lighter and holds one more round. The Glock 45 is also lighter and is a proven handgun. IMO, it doesn't even favor comparable to their own double stack compact. Thinner, but same weight?

Quote Originally Posted by Vaquero 45 View Post
    Not really.

The Glock 36 is imported. It weighs about 22 ounces empty, with mag. .45 caliber, same as the XDs.
    The Taurus PT745 is 20.8 ounces, with an overall length of six inches. .45 caliber.
    Width of the pistol doesn't seem to be a factor in import points, so it doesn't matter.

Must be something else.
    Actually, the weight IS a factor in the points.

The Glock and Taurus may weigh less, but they get additional points for things such as capacity, size, barrel length, etc.

On another forum, somebody did the rundown and the XD-S barely made the 75 points required.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Thank you tokerblue for your response. It still irritates me at how many people are instantly critics especially of brands that they don't like or use. I honestly do not feel that it is constructive and is just snobbery. I don't like the Glock line as I don't like the safety system and it doesn't fit my hand very well. But for a weapon it is a great gun and well proven. However I never trash the Glock line like some do to other brands just simply because they do not work the best for me. Now on to other items. I did not know of the import criteria prior to this thread and thank everyone for their input as I have learned something. It is amazing how much red tape that our government has put into place.
    NIS350ZTT likes this.

and

Quote Originally Posted by Zepoll View Post
    Agreed.

And another thing... don't think of it as just ounces... think of it as a percentage. When compared to the CW45 the XDS weighs 30% more and has 15% less fire power.
    has about half the recoil and is manageable in recoil. I fired the cw45 and it is not manageable at all.

steve
    NIS350ZTT likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by stolivar View Post
    has about half the recoil and is manageable in recoil. I fired the cw45 and it is not manageable at all.

steve
    Exactly, everyone seems to want a 8oz .45 pocket pistol and then have it shoot like a dream.

However, this gun had me extremely interested until I saw the weight. For my use it does not fit. I need a small pistol and something that weighs less than my 29oz S&W 639 to carry in lightweight shorts for putting the trash out or running through the drive-through for dinner.

I think for strictly IWB this would be perfect, as the weight will really help soak up the recoil.

Hi guys, I am new here. Live in a state where we can carry thankfully.

First i wanted to commend you guys for mentioning the points issue. I have been looking at many different boards looking for info on this new gun and everybody is mentioning the weight which I can understand I guess. Had not seen the points thing mentioned elsewhere.

I think one of the first things I noticed when I started to carry was the weight even more than the bulk and I am not a very big guy. The weight was still more noticeable to me than the bulk.

Wondering if anybody thinks that the increased use of EDC bags has created more of a market for something like the XDs. I have an EDC bag that I use on and off. However, even the good ones don't seem to me to give you a tremendous amount of room. I could see weight being less of an issue than bulk for someone using an EDC bag regularly. Maybe that is one of the market components that Springfield sees for this gun.

Senior Member Array MilitaryArms's Avatar
    Please visit my YouTube channel: The Military Arms Channel

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Sponsored Links