Trouble aimimg my Bodyguard 380

This is a discussion on Trouble aimimg my Bodyguard 380 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What up fellas! So yesterday I take out my bodyguard 380 to the range and shot about 50 rounds and noticed that all my hits ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Trouble aimimg my Bodyguard 380

Trouble aimimg my Bodyguard 380

What up fellas!

So yesterday I take out my bodyguard 380 to the range and shot about 50 rounds and noticed that all my hits were low. I would aim at center mass and they would land about 10 inches low. So I raised the gun a bit higher and same results. So I tried a headshot and it landed center mass. Trying to figure out what am I doing wrong. I'm holding it as tight as I can, I have the sight picture right on center mass. But can't figure it out. PLEASE HELP!

2. Remove Ads

I am no expert by any means but I had the same prob with my Beretta .40 cal. The range "guy" told me to use the support stand to see if it was me or the gun. It was me naturally, the Beretta was right on at 7 yds with the support. He told me low and left is normal for a right handed shooter. I have practiced and have improved some. I am sure other's will give better advice.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and 1946 Remington 12 gauge.

Sounds to me your pulliing the muzzle down with your trigger finger............all handgun triggers IMO.......must be Pressed..you must educate your trigger finger to press the trigger back in a level position ...not pulled utilizing the finger joint but the pad for accuracy otherwise there is a tendency to force the muzzle down before the shot is fired.
    Concentrate on pressing the trigger during your practice sessions and see if that helps........

Have someone else shoot it and see if its the gun (maybe) or you (probably). Shoot it with the laser on, the movement of the dot before the shot breaks will tell you a lot, one of the many uses of a laser sight.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

I found this target which I refer to when I notice myself grouping someplace weird while shooting. It's a good starting point I think, just look at where you're hitting and read the diagnosis: http://www.reloadbench.com/pdf/files...ightHanded.pdf
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Thanks fellas for the advice, will do and I'll post with an update

You are either dipping, which is an anticipation of recoil issue, or your sights are off.
    If it's a sight issue, and you cannot adjust them, you can help it some by choosing a heavier bullet, which will print higher.

It could be any of these issues. Process of illumination.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    its a small gun, light and recoils snappy

so, as you are pressing the trigger--that you are doing correctly as you shots are center-low
    as you press the trigger and the hammer(sic) falls you are tightening your other fingers on the grip.
    this pulls the gun down...as you describe

try grip strong with all the fingers you can get on the grip--start strong, stay strong throughout the trigger press and keep strong
    through the recoil. and like golf...stay strong even after what you consider the shot to have been fired; end strong

if you have a mag with the grip extender, I'll wager that you will naturally shoot closer to POA with it.

test this at home ( gun empty!!) by pointing at a spot an the wall and quickly increase your grip strendth
    (rather like a spasdic muscle action) and do you notice the front sight dipping??
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Is this a new gun...first time out? Sometimes guns sights are just THAT far off...I know the sights on my S&W were like that...I too thought it was me till I bag rested it and it was still way off....so make sure you check that out strange stuff can happen... Heck the sights on my Ruger SR9c were dead on up and down at 12-15 yards(or closer) but i was shooting the guy in the right arm...came set that far off from the factory. Adjusted it and in 1/2 a box had it dead on center mass..and thats a newer gun and it was the first time out with it...could be you...could legitimately be the gun...could be BOTH lol...maybe the gun is slightly off and your shooting low...which would compound it even more to WAY off....

You should change ammo,you must have bought "Center Mass" ammo
    Dadsnugun likes this.

The BG380 has a long and heavy DAO trigger so what is happening is that when you are pulling on the trigger you are also pulling the muzzle down slightly. Grip the gun a little tighter and practice pulling the trigger. I hope that helps. God Bless

Thanks for all your advice will try them out and let you guys know if it works

I shoot a Bodyguard, I suspect it is the mile long trigger pull.

Look at it this way. Once you have mastered shooting the BG380 with its long and heavy DAO trigger, it will only help you with all of your other guns as their triggers will feel so much shorter and lighter. God Bless

Do some dry fire practice for 10 min/day for a week before your next range trip. Once there get a basic sight picture, start pressing the trigger, as you take up most of the movement of the trigger shift your focus to the very top edge of the front sight - don't worry about the rear sight or the target, your brain will take care of that.

Practice this while dry firing to see how it works for you. Since it's got that long, hard trigger pull, try shooting it like a revolver when you want to shoot it fast. Trigger in the groove of your finger, squeeze trigger until your fingertip contacts the frame, confirm sight picture, and finish the trigger squeeze (you may be able to do this be just straightening your finger a hair).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links