Kahr cm9 vs pm9

This is a discussion on Kahr cm9 vs pm9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Tomorrow (Friday 1-20-12)is shopping day; it's new pistol time. I've located a shop that has both the Kahr CM9 and PM9 on the range for ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Kahr cm9 vs pm9

Kahr cm9 vs pm9

Tomorrow (Friday 1-20-12)is shopping day; it's new pistol time. I've located a shop that has both the Kahr CM9 and PM9 on the range for me to try. My research has led me towards the compact Kahr's. I hope to trade in a fresh, in the box, Detonics Pocket 9 in the process.

Question for all of you: Why pay nearly 45% more for the PM? I understand the PM is slightly smaller and lighter, but not by much. I can order it with night sights and that's nice, but almost twice as much? How come?
    Thanks,
    Metalman

2. Remove Ads

Someone please correct me if I am wrong but the PM9 has a polygonal rifling barrel the CM9 has a conventional rifling barrel. This is suppose to make the PM9 more accurate. Other than that I'm not sure there is a difference. Identical size and weight.
    Metalman likes this.
    "All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent"
    -Thomas Jefferson-

I have both. The CM9 and PM9 are exactly the same frame/slide/size.

The PM9 has a fancy roll marked slide, dovetail front sight and different barrel rifling, as well as a machined vs. MIM slide stop.

For the money, I see no option other than choosing the CM9, mine has been flawless.
    Metalman and stevez like this.

It's mainly the barrel and some other "minor" machining differences (the slide). Also, only 1 mag with the CM. That being said, I have not seen any review/comparison that doesn't say basically there are not any practical differences other than the price. I have a CM9 (never had or shot a PM9). I am extremely pleased with the CM9 and highly recommend it.
    Metalman and stevez like this.

unless you plan on regularly shooting beyond 25 yards, the polygonal rifled barrel in the pm9 is a "waste" of money. these are purely self defensive pistols that only need to hit a target a few yards away. go with the cm9.

Thank you all. My wallet also thanks you. I will go for the CM.

CM9 also has plastic sights which have been known to break, especially the night sights when ordered with them.

CM9 doesn't have an all black option either.

I got my PM9 before the CM9 was released, not sure what direction I'd go right now but I have no regrets getting the PM9. When it's a daily carry gun that I trust my life to, I don't really care about the $200 difference. In fact I recently picked up an MK9 for a primary carry and use the PM9 as a backup in an ankle holster. Same magazines, same profile, etc... works for me.

Sent using Tapatalk, thanks for supporting it on this site.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar

The differences between the CW series and P series...............if its worth the money is a personal decision. The extra magazine alone is $30-35 of the difference.
    Thunder71 likes this.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

We have the CW9................nice pistol.....we like it.

Is the polygonal rifling barrel, more durable sights and extra magazine worth the additional $$$$$? That's anyone's guess.

However, HK, Walther, Glock and Steyr all use a polygonal barrel in some of their handguns.

Of course, there's always that lagging question -- what do the Germans know about firearms?
    jem102 and Philly Boy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by rgbiker View Post
    Is the polygonal rifling barrel, more durable sights and extra magazine worth the additional $$$$$? That's anyone's guess.

However, HK, Walther, Glock and Steyr all use a polygonal barrel in some of their handguns.

Of course, there's always that lagging question -- what do the Germans know about firearms?
    if your question is "are polygonal rifled barrels better than traditional rifling" then the answer is yes. however, on a 3" barrel in a gun designed for close quarters self defensive applications, is it necessary? i would say no, and definitely not worth the extra $200-$300 on that particular type of firearm. maybe in the p9 vs cw9 platform you have an argument.

as soon as kahr can start producing and selling their polygonal rifled guns for the price of a glock, i'll stick with my $400 cm9 and recommend them over the pm9. if plastic sights bother you, you can buy a tritium front from kahr for $35-$40. spare magazine can be had for $25 if you shop around. do the math.

I have fired both and own the CM9. I couldn't tell the difference in firing them, which is why I opted for the CM9. I have heard that the PM9 is much more sturdy, especially in the rails and should have better longevity.

Both are great guns.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by ctrcs View Post
    . I have heard that the PM9 is much more sturdy, especially in the rails and should have better longevity.

Both are great guns.

Good luck.
    The polymer frame material and steel slide material are the same on both versions. This issue has been talked about often on the Kahr forum. The only mechanical differences according to Kahr are the barrel rifling and MIM slide stop on the CW series. So I would think this statement is without merit.
    Last edited by pirate; January 19th, 2012 at 07:00 PM.
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Who did your grips? I like it!
    CC:
    Glock 19 Gen 3 in a Brommeland Max Con V
    Glock 26 Gen 4 in a Brommeland Max Con V
    Karh PM9 in a Isotope 7 (made by Gary Brommeland)
    Home Protection:
    Mossberg 500 and Kimber Custom II 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by leathernuts View Post
    Who did your grips? I like it!
    Looks like Talon rubber grips for the kahr P and CW series

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links