model 36

This is a discussion on model 36 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Was wondering if anyone has this specific gun? How does the scroll work look on it, and do you think that it is worth the ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By hobobum

Thread: model 36

model 36

Was wondering if anyone has this specific gun? How does the scroll work look on it, and do you think that it is worth the $750 price tag? Thanks..
    Attached Images
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

2. Remove Ads

well.......let's look at it from an economic stand-point..........they scratch their gun, it doubles in price, I scratch mine, it drops in price ; they both shoot equally.......

Quote Originally Posted by hobobum View Post
    well.......let's look at it from an economic stand-point..........they scratch their gun, it doubles in price, I scratch mine, it drops in price ; they both shoot equally.......
    Good analogy, but their scratches are done on purpose. How does a nickel finish generally stand up??? i have many revolvers but none are nickel bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

I'm carrying a nickle one now I purchased back in 1975.......finish is good except for normal wear for 37 years.

Nickel wears very well. Just carry it in a good lined holster.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Model 36 snubby

I have a S&W model 36 snubby that I bought in unfired condition about 3 years ago for $450. So $750 sounds high to me, even with the engraving. Mine is shown below:

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

My thoughts are no. It has a lock. It's too easy to pick up pristine examples of great looking Model 36s without the extra baggage of a lock. Model 36s without locks will never seize up due to lock-related malfunctions and yes, lock malfunctions do occur, especially with small, light revolvers or hard kickers. I shot a Model 329 .44 handed to me and it tried to lock for several shots, finally succeeding in tying up the revolver in a single cylinder-full.

The contour of the curve of the frame on either side of the hammer look "right" on Pogo's fine example when compared to the nickel one in the first post and it is because the nickel revolver has the lock.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I'm not a collector, but is the engraving done by anyone special or is it factory? They're still making those guns too. If I was going to collect, it's those discontinued Colt revolvers I'd want (Pythons, Diamondbacks, Detective Specials).

If for carry, I prefer an airweight model with a shrouded hammer at around $450. I've bought some used ones for less and often are in very good shape as I think most have not been shot much.

I'd love to get a Model 36, but I favor the plain-jane ones with bluing.

Unfortunately, they're about as rare as hens teeth around my parts, and the ones on gunbroker are usually listed for pretty high prices.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    nickel hold up pretty well.. my father has 2 model 19-2 from S&W, one was Detective's gun. just has normal wear on it.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Links