cz p-07 or fnx 9

cz p-07 or fnx 9

This is a discussion on cz p-07 or fnx 9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking for a little advice. I'm not new to shooting, but the only guns I've owned have been dao and I'm looking at two da/sa ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cz p-07 or fnx 9

cz p-07 or fnx 9

Looking for a little advice. I'm not new to shooting, but the only guns I've owned have been dao and I'm looking at two da/sa pistols. I currently conceal an m&p .45 and as crazy as it sounds I'm looking to go 9mm. I was sold on the cz p-07 then I saw the fnp.

My older brother is looking at the five seven and while I would obviously love to have that gun its about $400 out of my price range. Did some research on fnp and never heard a single negative thing. Just when I was about to pull the trigger ,so to speak, I read about the inability to cart it "cocked and locked". Enter the fnx.

I've already looked at all the other pistols in this price range and pretty much narrowed it down to these. I can get the cz for around $450 or the fnx for around $550. This kills me since the deal on the fnp was $400 with 5 mags (the fnp has been discontinued. Also a slight turn off.). The question here would be p-07 or fnx? Does the fnx merit the extra hundred bucks? I'm looking for people with experience with or info on these two guns. Please don't suggest glocks or sigs as I don't care for flocks and already looked at the sigs in this price range. The 2022 is only set up for a right handed shooter. Looking to buy one in the next week or so.

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    I've heard good things about the P07. Between the 2 choices I think the CZ is going to feel a lot better in the hand than the FNX but that is a personal choice.

I have a CZ40P which was a complete lemon when I fist got it but after replacing a few springs it is turning out to be a great gun. Definitely the most accurate handgun I own.

Do you know if you can decock from condition one?

I was not impressed with my FNP-45. However, I've heard about a few issues with the CZ P-07. I believe most of them have been resolved now.

I'd go for the CZ over the FN.

EDIT: The FNX has both decock and safety/condition 1 in the same lever. On the CZ, you must install the safety/condition 1 lever or the decocker lever. Can't have both :-(

nothing wrong with a regular FN9 - mine is SAO and I carry it cocked and locked. Thing is as light as a feather, and a pleasure to carry, and with 16+1, plenty of rounds for social purposes.
    Have no experience with the CZ or FNX, but you should be able to find an FNP for around $400-450. Pistol has an ambi safety.

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

VIP Member
    I'd go with the CZ. The nice thing with it, is if in the future you want to switch to a decocker model pistol, the CZ comes with the parts. all you do is swap them out. No buying a new gun, or expensive gunsmithing involved.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

The CZ is either decocker or safety.
    The FNX has both.

You might want to hold off and take a look at the new FNS-9. "S" is for striker. I looked at one last week and was favorably impressed. The safety seemed a little small though. The guy at the gun shop said that FN is going to release a pure DAO without a manual safety. That's what I'd hold out for. (Actually, I'd probably buy a Walther PPQ.)

Probably best to try them out at a range or at least play with at the store.

The FNX is a decocker I believe and to me that just sucks. I don't want to have to deal with the DA/SA transition and I am a big believer in Condition 1.

The CZ P07 is a good gun but wait till about April for their "revised" version. I had one last year and it was ok, but the frame was too flexible and caused bulging issues in the polymer. (yes mine was actually affected) I guess they have reworked the poly now and its a lot stiffer. Also the OD and tactical models look really nice. I got rid of my first P07 but may get one of the new ones in OD. I still love my 75bd, can't go wrong with a steel CZ.

Do you know what kind of revisions have been made? Best I could tell one was just a differentcolor and the other had a threaded barrel and raised sights. I didn't read anything about internal or structural changes. I don't plan on owning a suppressed weapon any time soon. Not that I wouldn't like to. It's just not cost effective right now. And while I am absolutely in love with the is green, I'm selling my us weapon this week to buy this cz. I don't really feel comfortable holding down the fort with my taurus 738.

The revision was in the polymer itself to make it stiffer. My only other dislikes about the gun was the sights, (The front in particular was peened in place in very thin slide material section) and second was the mag release stuck out and was sometimes ejected when carried IWB. (My friend has this issue carrying his in a CBST, so basically doesn't carry it) Still great guns regardless IMO. The sight issue was more me being worry some, never heard of an actual issue with it other than changing sights was a pain.

I am a bit biased, owning an FNX-9 myself and having never owned a CZ (though I have shot several). I absolutely love my FNX-9, it has performed flawlessly and feels great in my hand, my ONLY gripe with it is this:

I like to carry condition one, however, when dry-fire practicing I notice that sometimes I accidentally decock the weapon when drawing and taking the safety off. This could just be me, considering I have rather large hands (especially thumbs), and I'm sure that with more practice it will become a non-issue, but it's just something I thought I'd throw in the discussion. Others have complained about having a hard time getting fully loaded mags to seat without applying a decent amount of force. I have noticed this but have to disagree slightly. The mags really don't require THAT much force to stay seated, and once they ARE seated, they aren't going anywhere without pressing the mag release. I also think it's good practice to apply good force when changing mags. One solution to this however is to leave the mags fully loaded overnight for a night or two and unload and reload them several times fully to break in the spring a little.

Firing the P-07 the only thing I noticed that I didn't like was trigger-flex, somewhat similar to what I've experienced with my USP, but that might not be a big deal to you, yourself.

Anyways, take everything I said with a grain of salt. Just my .02 :)
    "Shoot low boys, they're riding Shetland ponies." -Lewis Grizzard

I'm a complete noob, so take this with a grain of salt..... But have you held the CZ? I swore that the CZ p07 was the gun for me I like the way it looked and read good reviews, but once in my hands I realized that the slide is seated so deeply in the frame that I could barely get a grip to rack the slide. I have big hands and it was an instant issue for me and I put the gun down shortly after and hadn't looked at it since. If you haven't the convenience to hold one you can see the low profile of the slide in pictures of it if you compare to others. Hope this helps.

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    I have an FNP 9 love that gund very accurate but dao, so you can carry chambered but not locked and cocked, they make a sa/da and only paid 380 with two mags new no experience with the other two would buy what fits your hand best and you can shoot well

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links