I was thinking of a semi-custom 1911, but...

This is a discussion on I was thinking of a semi-custom 1911, but... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by WC145 Come on, if you think you can qualify with a Seecamp you can qualify with a j-frame. Hah! I would never ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I was thinking of a semi-custom 1911, but...

Quote Originally Posted by WC145 View Post
    Come on, if you think you can qualify with a Seecamp you can qualify with a j-frame.
    Hah! I would never be able to qualify with the Seecamp. Current HR218 law is that I need to qualify yearly with any semi OR revolver to carry nationally. My HR 218 card just states a completed a LEO course with either a semi auto or revolver box being checked off. We have some old retirees (70s) qualifying with large framed .22s and barely at that.
    Retired LEO
    H.R.218 Qualified
    SA XD45C, XD40sc (SA Combat Trigger Job, XS Big Dot Sights)

The #1 goal of police work is to go home at the end of your shift!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    "I have been seriously debating purchasing a Wilson or Ed Brown."

Actually both (WILSON & Brown) hold their dollar value very well if kept in nice used condition.
    So you'll always get a decent amount of your initial investment back should you ever decide to sell.

If you think about it that way the asking price does not seem quite so steep.
    I would have to sell on Gunbroker though. Around here (metro NY) guys think a Kimber is a high end 1911.
    Retired LEO
    H.R.218 Qualified
    SA XD45C, XD40sc (SA Combat Trigger Job, XS Big Dot Sights)

The #1 goal of police work is to go home at the end of your shift!

Quote Originally Posted by mwhartman View Post
    I'd love a custom 1911, ajgranda. However, like you, I can not justify spending that much money for a single weapon. I have a G 19 Gen 4 that works well. I'm looking at a Colt 1911 but my pocketbook keeps saying Glock 36!

Good luck!
    Funny you should mention that ... my two main carry guns are a G19 (Gen 2) and an 11-year-old G36.
    I do, however, also have an older M1911, a Springfield Armory. Aside from a Videcki trigger, nothing much has been altered on it. No cool cocking serrations on the front of the slide. No beveled mag well. Not even a pair of decent Novak sights that glow or anything. Parkerized ... with an old standard hammer on it instead of a much sexier Commander style skeletonized job.
    But, wow, does it work. Always has, with every kind of ammo. And more accurate than I can hold to. I wish I'd taken a picture of my last target with 150+ rounds of hardball thru it ...
    My point is this: it's all good. As long as they work and you're happy with it, all that expensive, fancy stuff - while admittedly nice and something to dream about - doesn't really make all that much difference.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    A Les Baer can be had new around or under 2k. I've seen them for 1800. CJ at 1911heaven may have a great deal in stock with no wait if interested.

I used to want guns in numbers, but decided each one would have a purpose and each would be a 1911 except for snubbie. I have a semi custom CCO due to ship Monday, and a full custom due around summertime. I sold quite a few others in order to get what I want for the purpose they will serve. Don't settle if you really want the 1911.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

I carry a Les Bear, it's under $2,000, but they are what I like.Great weapons for the money.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Quote Originally Posted by SatCong View Post
    I carry a Les Bear, it's under $2,000, but they are what I like.Great weapons for the money.
    +2

I've got 2 Baers, for probably what a high end Brown goes for. I've played with Wilson's and a Brown and the fit & finish is outstanding, but while I can afford one I can't see it based on how I'll treat them. I carry my Baer Stinger and after 5 years it shows it, my Concept V is my range/match pistol and it too is showing holster wear and scratching up nicely.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

Quote Originally Posted by ajgranda View Post
    Hi,

For nearly two years I have been seriously debating purchasing a Wilson or Ed Brown. The more I think about, the more I can't justify the $2,500-$3,000 price tag for one handgun. I
    currently own an XD45c and 40sc, but I want something different. As of now, I am leaning towards trading in my XDs and purchasing a Glock 21 Gen 4, HK45C with light LEM trigger and a Seecamp .380acp. All three would come in less than any Wilson or EB. I would use the Glock for yearly LEO qualifications and winter carry. The HK for the CCW the rest of the yer except hot summer days and the Seecamp for very hot days, going to the beach and maybe as a backup to the other two depending where I am going. What do you guys think?
    Simple, Les Baer Premier II. You won't regret it, excellent 1911.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    paying more does not always mean getting better--

sometimes it just means you paid more

there are a lot of really good 1911's made, many used that come in under$1,000

check out a 1998 Kimber 1st gen Custom Stainless Gold Match. no mim parts (that i know of--and after 47,000
    rounds...just springs been changed). still groups 1.5" at 25 yards and besides carrying it, it does IDPA and all the games.

there are a lot of older guns, and some newer ones that deliver way more quality than their price would have you think.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    paying more does not always mean getting better--

sometimes it just means you paid more

there are a lot of really good 1911's made, many used that come in under$1,000

check out a 1998 Kimber 1st gen Custom Stainless Gold Match. no mim parts (that i know of--and after 47,000
    rounds...just springs been changed). still groups 1.5" at 25 yards and besides carrying it, it does IDPA and all the games.

there are a lot of older guns, and some newer ones that deliver way more quality than their price would have you think.
    That's what I did with my Bear PII, for over 129,000 rounds. Clean weapon and change spring as needed.One more thing I did was change a barrel,and still running.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Distinguished Member Array old grunt's Avatar
    A top-end 1911 is an heirloom gun..something to be treasured and past on. Having said that if you are more on the practical side(and not looking to spend that kind of $ on a single weapon)maybe invest in a new Colt 1911. It will be ready to go out of the box, and down the line you could throw on a set of personalized stocks and call it your own "custom". With the leftover dough pick up a compact blah_blah_blah and you are a happy camper. Just my $.02
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

sgb
    I've been carrying 1911's for the last 3 decades, this Springfield Pro has been my EDC for the last 7 years.

"There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

One day I WILL own one of the 1911's mentioned!! Still have one more daughter to get through college. I do however own a Springfeild 1911A1 S/S loaded. Came in under a grand and is an excellent shooter!!!

It has everything to do with what you expect to get for the money and if you in fact get that. So, very nicely-made handguns with a lot of attention to fit and finish--they look great, sound great, feel great. Very nice. Do they shoot twice as accurately as guns costing half as much, are they five times as reliable as guns costing 1/5 or less? Are these things even important to you? There isn't any 'justification', to my mind, other than what you want and feel you can afford. These aren't investments...they're simply hobby expenditures...and they're not capital equipment for the business. So...no justification is needed or even makes sense. Only you can decide if you 'get what you pay for'...the price does not determine if you get what you paid for.

Handguns that are finely-finished, beautifully adorned and meticulously assembled from parts that can't be interchanged with any other gun because they're hand-fitted have almost no appeal to me, but these things are very important to others and I respect that--I'd prefer duct tape on my grips over rosewood, others would prefer a handsome piece of craftsmanship. I've handled and fired the Wilsons and Ed Browns...wow. Makes you feel like you're holding a precision surgical instrument in your hand. But, I'd prefer my $500 M&P and the other $2,500 in the bank. That's just me.
    “If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner.” T Bankhead
    National Mill Dog Rescue www.milldogrescue.org

If I had to use my carry gun for SD I'm not gonna cry too much when they book my Colt Commander into the evidence vault,but if they took a $25-3500.00 gun I would cry like they were taking my kid
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Administrator
    So...have you decided to go with a Les Baer?
    That would be a great choice for a high quality 1911.
    They are hand built with each part being fit to each individual pistol.
    If you could see exactly how they are put together. (I did ) you would know that they are worth every penny spent on one.
    They also are all individually and fairly extensively "test fired" for function before they get shipped out and that is a huge plus.
    I would love to have that job.

If I didn't enjoy playing around with my own Colt pistols so much...I would probably opt for a Baer.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links