I was thinking of a semi-custom 1911, but...

This is a discussion on I was thinking of a semi-custom 1911, but... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, For nearly two years I have been seriously debating purchasing a Wilson or Ed Brown. The more I think about, the more I can't ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I was thinking of a semi-custom 1911, but...

Hi,

For nearly two years I have been seriously debating purchasing a Wilson or Ed Brown. The more I think about, the more I can't justify the $2,500-$3,000 price tag for one handgun. I
    currently own an XD45c and 40sc, but I want something different. As of now, I am leaning towards trading in my XDs and purchasing a Glock 21 Gen 4, HK45C with light LEM trigger and a Seecamp .380acp. All three would come in less than any Wilson or EB. I would use the Glock for yearly LEO qualifications and winter carry. The HK for the CCW the rest of the yer except hot summer days and the Seecamp for very hot days, going to the beach and maybe as a backup to the other two depending where I am going. What do you guys think?
    Retired LEO
    H.R.218 Qualified
    SA XD45C, XD40sc (SA Combat Trigger Job, XS Big Dot Sights)

The #1 goal of police work is to go home at the end of your shift!

If I could afford a Dan Wilson or an Ed Brown, or any of the other top end 1911's, I would probably get one.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

GM
    Only you can decide what is best for you. I am a big 1911 fan and for that reason I should get the 1911; I rather have one gun that I like than three I do not. And I can justify the $2,500-$3,000 price tag for a Wilson or an Ed Brown.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I'd love a custom 1911, ajgranda. However, like you, I can not justify spending that much money for a single weapon. I have a G 19 Gen 4 that works well. I'm looking at a Colt 1911 but my pocketbook keeps saying Glock 36!

Good luck!
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

a 1911 & a striker fired gun are two very different animals. If you are going to have one or the other I would buy whatever you shoot best.

Check out this thread first though before you drop lots of pennies on a 1911. Pay attention to what Roy from Gray Guns says about Dan Wesson 1911s. It might save you a few of those pennies.

There has to be a difference Dan Wesson 1911s. - Topic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Buy what you really want or you'll forever be disappointed. I don't see the Glock and the HK doing aything for you that your XDs won't and I prefer small revolvers to small autos for reliability. Personally, I'm a 1911 guy - carry 1911's on and off duty, compete with them, etc. - I have no interest in owning any of the three guns you've listed. My BUG/carry when nothing else will fit is a custom 9mm scandium S&W J-frame.

If you really want a Wilson, Brown, Baer, etc. or a custom gun, look at the used market (guys that drop that kind of cash tend to take care of their guns) as there are always deals to be found. I have several famous name custom 1911s and revolvers that I got good deals on that can't be replicated for anything close to what I paid.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

VIP Member
    If you want a high quality 1911, but you don't want to spend $2500-3000, you might want to take a look at the Dan Wesson guns. Prices range from about $1300-2000 depending on the model you want.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Oh boy, you guys aren't helping with this decision. I can say I shoot a G21 the best and the 4th Gen feels much better in my hands. Probably because that was my duty weapon for many years. J frame would probably make a better bug than the Seecamp. Just not as pretty. I would also need to qualify with it, if I want to carry it out of state. Doing a LE qualification with a J frame wouldn't be much fun.
    Retired LEO
    H.R.218 Qualified
    SA XD45C, XD40sc (SA Combat Trigger Job, XS Big Dot Sights)

The #1 goal of police work is to go home at the end of your shift!

Come on, if you think you can qualify with a Seecamp you can qualify with a j-frame.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

If I had the money I would get the high end 1911.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

While I love 1911s, I could buy a SIG or H&K, a Kimber, a J-frame Smith, a Glock or an M&P, holsters all around, and maybe have a little change for some ammo, if I had three grand to unload. And at the end of the day I'd have a nice 1911 in the arsenal.

You'll eventually come back around to the 1911, because that's what you really want

When you stop and figure out how much money you've thrown away in dumb things (like interest) over the years, a couple grand isn't that big of a deal.

I have a brother that dropped $3000 on a tv. He would think I was 100% dumb for what I have in my ar. But, guess which one is worth more after 12 months?

Have you considered how much money you have spent eating out, and buying barista coffee over a year's time?

Take the time, save the money, and get what you really want. If you decide that it wasn't worth the money, you can turn around and sell it with very little loss, if any.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Administrator
    "I have been seriously debating purchasing a Wilson or Ed Brown."

Actually both (WILSON & Brown) hold their dollar value very well if kept in nice used condition.
    So you'll always get a decent amount of your initial investment back should you ever decide to sell.

If you think about it that way the asking price does not seem quite so steep.

What do you want?

AJ, it depends on what you really want.

If you really want a top end, 1911 type pistol with bells and whistles, then go for it. However, if you want a primary defense pistol - and one you might have to surrender as evidence if you ever need to use it - then you might want to consider something less expensive. (Expensive as in money, not quality.) The only nice thing I say about Glocks is they work pretty well. I don't find them more reliable than many others, but no less, either. (Unless you have to pistol whip someone; they just don't have any 'heft' to them. ) A decent revolver will probably do everything you want as well. I've got two or three S&W M10s I would trade for the world. Serious +p ammo works very well if the shooter can deliver. (At least, that's what Jim Cirillo said.)

It's your money and your pistol. I own several pistols simply because they are great guns and I have a certain 'pride' in owning them. Nothing wrong with that. On the other hand, your budget may be earmarked for other projects. There's no fault in that either.
    Anyone Worth Shooting Is Worth Shooting Well
    Please take a look at my Blog: http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Now IMO, if you purchase a gun like an Ed Brown you should never plan on selling it, but, if worse came to worse, you always could. Just imagine the joy you would get from simply waking up in the morning to the sound of blue jays singing their songs while the aroma of freshly ground coffee beans hovers in the air, the sun gleaming on your custom Ed Brown coffee table. As you flick on your custom Ed Brown television to see Ed Brown himself, delivering the news. You notice on your custom Ed Brown marble counter kitchen top the inscription "Ed Brown" so elegantly inscribed in cursive writing on your custom Ed Brown 1911 slide. Ed Brown, quality, excellence, dedication....haha..where did that come from
    "When that gun comes out of that holster; it's business time." -Chris Costa

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links