Kahr PM9: awful slide/frame sticking. Why??

This is a discussion on Kahr PM9: awful slide/frame sticking. Why?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I wouldn definitely heed the advice to call Kahr and send the pistol back. A friend of mine (over on Gl0ck T@lk) had this problem, ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kahr PM9: awful slide/frame sticking. Why??

Ex Member Array Roundeyesamurai's Avatar
    I wouldn definitely heed the advice to call Kahr and send the pistol back. A friend of mine (over on Gl0ck T@lk) had this problem, and she found a very equitable solution by contacting them.

2. Remove Ads

Kahr does openly advertise that atleast a 200 round break period is required with their pistols. I had never seen a company advertise this until they did. I too have a PM9 but unfortunately for this thread mine has been 100% from day 1 and I bought one in the "first run" (against my better judgement from previously owning a HORRIBLE first run P40). I am suprised to see Kahr's reaction to your customer service problem. When I had a CRAPPY P40 they were all to helpful to include 2 trips to the factory on their shipping dime. I had hoped the plagues P40 problems had been worked out on future polymer pistol from them but now I wonder. I would send the pistol back, don't call them and ask them, just call them and get a RA# and send it back. Put a letter in the box with the pistol explaining what the problem is and insist that they fix it! I have owned ton's of pistols over the years and every so often I have had to send one back to the factory (it happens) but I always insisted that they fix it and stayed in contact with the factory to keep tabs on what was going on. Look at it this way, if you spent 550.00 to 600.00 for a mechaninc to fix your car and it was not right you would be standing at their doorstep jumping, kicking and screaming. Just becasue a factory is in another state should not matter.

Good luck in whatever you do, I hope that the pistol is fixed. I enjoy carrying mine and it has only taken a back seat to my 100% reliable 2G P3AT.
    If we treat every gun as if it was loaded, then why not treat every individual as if they are armed.

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    I would speak with Kahr, and tell them that in a gun I intend for carrying for self defense, it is utterly unacceptable that I should have to "break it in" with over 500 rounds before I can bet my life on it.

In fact, I have to wonder why anyone would ever use any gun that did not work 100% correctly right from round one, as anything but a range/plinking gun. I surely would not carry a gun that needed such a break-in period as a defensive weapon.
    The truth is that no gun is is 100% reliable. They are machines. The Kahrs are smaller than most, thus tighter tolerances. It is foolish to think any gun completely unreliable just because the manufacturer warns the consumer it needs some love. This is good business. If any manufacturer could make a gun that small and 100% reliable out of the box, they undoubtedly would have already. Kahr makes some good weapons, or they would already be out of business. If GLOCK or Kimber made one of these, It would be privy to the same physics. If you haven't had a defensive weapon jam on you, your not practicing enough.
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bando View Post
    The truth is that no gun is is 100% reliable.
    It's a law of mechanisms, I think. There is built-in variability in tolerances that can stack up in a specific gun such that it seems a lemon, while another example will stack in the other direction and seem perfect for a lifetime. The reality is, every other example of that gun beyond those two instances (extremes) will fall somewhere in the middle. I'm prepared for that.

What I'm not prepared for is non-improvement over a hard break-in period. Not in in a carry weapon. My first pistol took about 10K rounds of break-in before it began to feed everything, cycle perfectly and run smoothly. After that, it was darned near flawless. That gun (a Browning BDM 9mm) definitely worked itself into a groove.

This PM9 is more in a rut than a groove. Enough rounds have been sent through it, now, to show that it's not the specific load, pressure, style of ammo (ball, JHP). It's in need of adjustment, though I don't know what that will entail. Hopefully Kahr's resolution will cure the problems. Else, it's not going to be the BUG for me.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Wow, I just looked at the pictures. I missed them the first time through this thread. It looks like too much polymer around the slide, or some type of mis-alignment. Kahr will fix any problems and get you running good. If you don't get what you need from them, (you should though) try running some very fine sandpaper like 600 grit over the plastic part of the rails. I bet the polymer is sticking against metal when you manually engage the slide. My Kel-tec needed to lose a little extra plastic to run smooth too. The factory will fix it if your not so inclined to meddle. They might even throw something free in for the trouble, Of course you need to let them know this is troublesome.
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

Quote Originally Posted by estimber View Post
    ... I hope that the pistol is fixed. I enjoy carrying mine and it has only taken a back seat to my 100% reliable 2G P3AT.
    Same, here. The P3AT is darned near perfect, in terms of reliability. It's coming up on time to swap out the springs and to get that "fluff & buff" procedure completed. It has been great. Though, the reason I'm considering the PM9, P11, PF-9, of course, is for the 9mm chambering. The P3AT is great, size-wise, though 9mm would be preferable so long as it can be in a reliable, concealable package. Must be a slim unit ideal for pocket carry, as it's a BUG in support of the primary, a CZ P01 9mm.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links