PPQ/Caracal C 9mm Comparison

This is a discussion on PPQ/Caracal C 9mm Comparison within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, I'll start by saying that my PPQ in 9mm is my EDC. I also use it in local IDPA matches. I have over 1100 ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: PPQ/Caracal C 9mm Comparison

Ok, I'll start by saying that my PPQ in 9mm is my EDC. I also use it in local IDPA matches. I have over 1100 rounds through the PPQ. Zero malfunctions. The PPQ trigger and reset is outstanding. Grip feels great. Easily my favorite poly pistol ever!

My pistols are only purchased and used for 2 purposes: IDPA and self-defense. Any handgun I purchase MUST be able to do both jobs. On Wednesday, I pickep up a NIB Caracal C in 9mm. Also bought 2 extra mags. The grip feels great on the Caracal also. I have small/medium hands and the ergos of both pistols are great for me.

Even though the Caracal C has a shorter barrel, the sight radius is almost the same as the PPQ, because of where the rear sight is on the Caracal. The Caracal rear sight is made into the slide back/cover plate. No adjustments possible. You can, if needed, drift the front for windage. Before getting the Caracal to the range, I was a little concerned about that.

Some detailed pics of the Caracal C. Notice the length of the slide rails. The absence of the 'standard' plunger type firing pin block. It has one, but it's different in that it gets pushed to the side before releasing the firing pin. I think this has a lot to do with how good the trigger feels. Take a look at the polished internals. It looks to be very well finished. Ambi mag release that doesn't have to be switched, either side will release the mag at any time. The mags drop free...well, they actually fly out! Nice! Overall the Caracal C has only 28 parts.

I finally got to an indoor range this morning. I took along the PPQ as well. I fired 100 rounds Blazer 124gr fmj through the Caracal, and 25 rounds of same ammo through the PPQ. I KNOW, 100 rounds is nothing. But it's all the time I had. Here's my thoughts:

TRIGGER-For me the PPQ trigger felt better, but not by much. PPQ wins the reset, again, not by much. I have no trigger scale, but I believe the Caracal C wins that one. The Caracal trigger has an audible and tactile reset, and breaks very clean.

SIGHTS-Here's where I was worried. The PPQ seems to have a perfect width rear notch. And before going to the range, I was wishing for some more light in the rear sight of the Caracal.

RECOIL-This is where the Caracal really shines. The lower bore axis allowed me to get the web of my hand WAY up on the Caracal. The recoil of the Caracal seemed to be really more of a flat push and less flip. I shot the PPQ also, and I was actually shocked a little at how much more muzzle flip it had. Being able to get back on target quicker with the Caracal eliminated my worries about its narrower rear sight notch. No adjustments were needed of the Caracal's sights.

Here's what I was able to do with the Caracal C. This is an IDPA paper practice target. For reference, the center mass circle is 8 inches, and the head box is 6x6 inches. These are the last 35 rounds I fired today. Distance was 10 yards. The shots were taken at a fairly quick rate. Not true rapid fire, because that's not allowed at the range. But they were quick follow up shots. I know there are better shots than me here, but I was satisfied with what I was able to do with the Caracal first time out.

Overall, I like the Caracal and would recommend it. I plan to get many more rounds through it and take it to an IDPA match, and then work it into my carry gun rotation.

very nice pistol. Was waiting for someone to shoot one and tell. Might look into one....
    so, about my sammich.......

Thanks for the review! Looks like an interesting carry gun option.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I've put 100-150 rounds through a Caracal, and I was very impressed by it. I thought the trigger break was excellent, but the reset felt a little bit long to me. I did not like the slide lock lever though, and I thought the pistol would be improved with more traditional rear sights (even at the expense of a little bit of sight radius). As for the PPQ, I've only dry fired one, but I'm surprised that the muzzle jump is as much greater than the Caracal as you say. Very interesting. Thanks for the excellent write up and pics!

pangloss9--

I'm not saying that the muzzle flip on the PPQ is bad. It just seemed to me that the PPQ muzzle flip was more pronounced because I had just shot the Caracal. The Caracal IS a nice shooter.

Got it. The Caracal definitely has the least noticeable recoil of any 9mm I've shot. I don't know if you're a member on the Steyr Forum, but there's a good bit of info there about the Caracal. The (or one of the) US importers of the pistol sponsored a match over near Knoxville last May. That's where I got to shoot the pistol. It was a great bargain for $25. Last time I checked the Steyr forum, Caracal was unable to deliver the pistols and the importer's relationship with Caracal had soured to the point of involving lawyers. Hopefully things get worked out, because these are great pistols. I watched a lot of rounds go downrange that day, and the only noticeable problem I saw with the gun was people bumping the slide lock and locking the pistol open with rounds left in the mag.

Yes, I'm a member over on the Steyr forum. I read a lot about the Caracal there before buying. My Caracal is marked underneath the trigger guard with: Waffen Werks, Knoxville, TN. My Brother-in-law was just at SHOT SHOW. He told me that Caracal had a booth there. And I've also seen videos from SHOT SHOW about the Caracal. I hope it all got worked out and they are still with Waffen Werks or found another importer/distributor.

Both of those are very nice polymer offerings... If I weren't so happy with my glocks and M&P I'd check either or out; still might if I come across one at my local GS.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I really like the PPQ I got for my wife. But this may be another offering worth checking out. Man you guys are so bad for my wallet.
    .XX likes this.

I love my glocks but I am really wanting a PPQ. That Caracal looks interesting as well, does anyone know if there is any affiliation with Steyr? Design seems Steyr influenced.

VIP Member
    Thanks for the report. The only problem I see with the Caracal is the availability of holsters for it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

How much was the Caracal and where did you find one?
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Thanks for the report. The only problem I see with the Caracal is the availability of holsters for it.
    OWB Stingray Belt is available now from Blade-Tech. Blade-Tech only lists the Caracal F (full size) model, but I called them and they told me they could do one for my C model. Tommy Theis of Theis holsters is waiting on a mold. DDHolsters makes some nice leather pancake holsters for the Caracal.

Quote Originally Posted by Brass63 View Post
    How much was the Caracal and where did you find one?

This is where I got mine. It's just right down the road from me. free shipping. They also have the full size 'f' model. Looks to still be in stock. Same price as I paid.
    Caracal C 9mm Compact Pistol with (2) 15rd Mags #CARACAL-CS

Quote Originally Posted by genauwiedu View Post
    That Caracal looks interesting as well, does anyone know if there is any affiliation with Steyr? Design seems Steyr influenced.
    Wilhelm Bubits was the lead designer on the Caracal. He also had a hand in the Steyr design. And he also worked at Glock. Maybe he FINALLY designed PERFECTION!!!!

For all the Glock owners, this is a joke. But Mr. Bubits has been involved with designs of all three pistols.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links