Sig Spartan 1911

This is a discussion on Sig Spartan 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by zonker1986 SIG doesn't make a 1911. How do you figure that?...

View Poll Results: Spartan 1911 Feedback

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Would Buy - I like it!

15 29.41%
  • Would Not Buy

16 31.37%
  • Like the Concept - Just Not this one

10 19.61%
  • Don't like the Finish or Concept

12 23.53%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Sig Spartan 1911

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    SIG doesn't make a 1911.
    How do you figure that?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    How do you figure that?
    He was speaking of differences to JMB's classic design I think; external extractor, different slide contour.

I thought it was impossible to make a 1911 ugly, guess not. Like everyone else said, that is a beautiful finish.
    "When that gun comes out of that holster; it's business time." -Chris Costa

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    He was speaking of differences to JMB's classic design I think; external extractor, different slide contour.

Not me,,,, I am more the classic ,,,,non tacky versions on 1911.
    “A few elitists shouldn't rule the many. ”
    Better to have a 380 in your pocket than a 45 at HOME.
    When seconds count, police are minutes away.

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Might make good trade stock.
    I was prepared to agree with you OD*.

Doesn't appear that it'd be allowed much value here on the Forum though, by the looks of the poll.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

OD*
    I'm afraid you're right, Bryan.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

Wonder if it would be any more popular if they'd lose all the billboard-sized yellow "MOLON LABE" markings? Frankly it just screams "I'm an immature shooter" for any potential owner.

Gunmakers need to retreat from the large and garish roll markings that have crept onto firearms over the past 20 years. It's almost as if guns these days have to be seen to hugely proclaim they're something extra-special whether they are or not, or else that they will make their owner appear as something extra-special. It all seems so low-class.

Of course I'm a dinosaur. I liked it when firearms were more understated and all handguns had in the way of external roll markings were either a small prancing pony or an entwined S and W, the caliber, company name and city address, and all those relevant patent dates done in a jillion tiny characters.

WHEC724, OD* and Cuda66 like this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Oh well.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    Oh well.
    Well think about it, by that logic a 1911A1, Colt Series 80, Kimber Series II, Colt Commander, Colt Defender etc isn't a 1911 because it has been altered from "the original"

So if you take a "1911" and refit it with an Aftec extractor, does that mean that it's no longer a 1911? The slide shape? That's cosmetic, and Sig does have models with a "traditional" slide profile.

Now don't get me wrong, there are some guns that I would say are not 1911s, primarily Para LDAs etc. But IMHO simply changing the slide profile and adding an external extractor does not make the gun any less a 1911 than chopping 2" of the barrel does to going with a bushingless barrel etc.

Added night sights? Those aren't original, not a 1911 any more. There was no G10 in 1911 so changing grips to anything other than Walnut makes it not a 1911 any more....

See how it sounds kind of lame?

Well, that is true of course. I think for me the biggest detraction from the first Sig 1911's was the slide contours; while technically it didn't change the firearm from being a 1911 and didn't change anything functionally, it completely changed the classic look and feel. I don't dislike the Sig 1911's I just saw them as something different.

Look at the P-35 FM Hi Power's with the straight sided slide, still technically a Hi Power, but it no longer has the classic tapered muzzle of the Browning.

I appreciate the classic look and feel of the slab sided Colt, while I don't knock any change be it series 70 - 80, internal/external extractor, barrel or frame length, bushing or - less, etc. as long as function isn't compromised, I still prefer the look of the JMB design.

If you take a Shelby Cobra and install a VW Beetle body on it is it still a Cobra? Or if you take a Cobra body and install it on a VW frame what is it?
    Changing the appearance of the 1911 and keeping function the same... STI changed the single stack frame to a polymer double and called it the 2011.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Wonder if it would be any more popular if they'd lose all the billboard-sized yellow "MOLON LABE" markings? Frankly it just screams "I'm an immature shooter" for any potential owner.

Gunmakers need to retreat from the large and garish roll markings that have crept onto firearms over the past 20 years. It's almost as if guns these days have to be seen to hugely proclaim they're something extra-special whether they are or not, or else that they will make their owner appear as something extra-special. It all seems so low-class.
    'Well stated.

YEP!the only Sig .45 worth having is a P220,and preferably a older one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck R. View Post
    To be honest, it’s probably one of the uglier 1911s I’ve seen lately. The fact they didn’t bother to put flat bottom grip panels on a gun with a magwell says something.

It looks like “flavor of the month” gun.

Chuck

I own three Sig 1911s and enjoy the looks and how they shoot, but that one just doesn't look right to me. Now, the all stainless POW/MIA edition Sig 1911 I really like, but my wallet doesn't.

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    While I love 1911's this one just doesn't do it for me! Plus, I've never been a fan of Sig 1911's
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links