Defensive Carry banner

Wife's new gun....

4K views 21 replies 20 participants last post by  zonker1986 
#1 ·
Looking at getting my wife a 9mm. She knows she wants a 9mm, just not sure which one. She doesn't want anything bigger or smaller. We do have it narrowed down to 3 of them.....Glock 19, Springfield XDm Compact, Smith and Wesson M&P compact. She can't decide, likes all of them. We are just researching the quality (I love Glocks...have 2 of them myself) and reliability. Any thoughts?

#2 ·
I really like my M&Pc - We bought my wife a CZ Rami 2075 BD in 9mm. I like it better than the M&P9c. It may be a few bucks more, a bit harder to find/get (so worth the wait) and accessories are limited but WOW! What a shooter! Not a hiccup in over 500 rds, TIGHT groups, fits M&Pc holsters as if made for them.

CZ-USA -> CZ 2075 RAMI BD

Bear in mind there is the Rami, the Rami P, and the Rami BD.
(I would not consider any but the BD which is part of why it will be harder to get since they tend to be made to order)
Rami - Light Alloy with Safety
Rami P - Polymer with Safety
Rami BD - Light Alloy with Built-in Decocker and night sights standard

#3 ·
Having shot both the G19 and XDm, I'd recommend the Springfield. I felt the recoil (I know 9mm is already minimal) from the XDm was less than that from the G19. I know the Glock guys are gonna hammer me but I'm speaking from my experience. Good luck!

-------------------
"I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop! " ~Bob Mayne

#13 ·
sounds like my family/friends: dad, uncle, and girlfriend has M&P9c, my boss has the M&P40c, my manager has the M&P9, I have the M&P40, and my brother will be gettting his M&P40c soon also.... we all love these guns.... you can't go wrong with the M&P

#5 ·
Another vote for the M&P 9c from me.. Got mine on now. Had to go downtown to the office for a few hours this am but didn't want to load up with my normal two gun carry setup. Feel as good about one M&P as I do/would with two of just about any other flavor.:wink:

#6 ·
I have to vote M&P / quality weapons that you have it narrowed down to in any event, so if she could possible shoot all at a range, let her decide.

#9 ·
I'm biased towards Glocks. But honestly, you should let her rent and shoot all three. Let her make the decision. She'll probably like the feel of the M&P the best as it is very ergonomic.

Reactions: Spec
#10 ·
I have the Glock 19 Gen 4 and love it. If she has small hands, it may be the best bet. I have shot the XDm several times and really like it too, especially its accuracy. I have heard many people say they like the M&P, but have never shot one. My advice would be to go to a range where you can rent all three and pick it that way. Good luck.

#14 ·
I just thought I'd share from another post about how my GF decided to pick as what she says "the best gun for me".

girlfriend=(GF)

Background on the GF:
5'3" 115 pounds (shhhh don't tell her I told you!)
She grew up on the fence about firearms. Never held one, or shot one until she met me 5 Years ago. She took to shooting as a "mans" sport, and took some time to get used to. Although she tried to come off as not enjoying shooting, she slipped after a trip to the range and told me she actually likes to go with me and shooting. I already had a handgun and we tossed around the idea of her getting one. (Baby steps into getting her to carry)

What Gun:
Now to actually go out and find what she wanted. I know from experience that just holding the gun doesn't compare to shooting it. So over the course of a few months, she got to shoot the following:
S&W model 19-2 Snubbie .357mag
Taurus 85 .38 Snubbie
XD9 Sub-compact 9mm
S&W Model 36 .38 snubbie
S&W Airweight .38 snubbie
Khar CW9 9mm
M&P40 .40S&W
M&P9c Compact 9mm
Glock 26 9mm

Thinking:
After a few years of shooting my handgun and my dad's/uncles/friends collections she sat down with me and went through a check list of what her gun had to be capable of doing. She not only just went to the range with me, but we went to tactical shoots as well. The major question she had to answer was Revolver or Semi? She really had her eye set on the "Lady Smith" .357mag/.38spl from S&W.

At this point she warmed up to the idea that she will be carrying this gun sooner or later. She also still wanted to come with me on tactical shoots (moving, finding cover, running, reloading etc.) and said that a revolver is not something she enjoyed using for tactical shoots because she felt like she spent more time reloading it than shooting it,even with a speed reloader. She liked when she used my semi how fast she could put a mag in and keep going.

She also didn't like the felt recoil of the light revolvers, especial the Airweight J-Frame. She said she would carry it but not shoot it alot. Which she knew was a problem, because she likes to practice and feel comfortable with what see carries.

revolver:
Pros-Light weight, easy to conceal
Cons-recoil, low round count, slow reload time.

Revolver or Semi?
answer was Semi

Her Check list:
1)reliable
2)fits hands, feels good (very important due to small hands)
3)Smallish (will carry it concealed someday)
4)more than 5-6 rounds (wants to shoot in competitions)
5)easy to use (no safety, didn't want to have to click it off under stressful situations.)
6)not bigger than a .40S$W round. Doesn't want alot of recoil.

Closing In:
We then took the top two choices in handguns from her view. The M&P9c and the Glock 26. She shot both side by side. Like both as far as accuracy goes, liked the "dot in box" sights on the Glock better. When it came down to it. She picked the M&P9c as the winner.

Felt less "blocky" in hand. Natural point of aim. Good round count. 9mm not alot of recoil. Small enough to conceal. Easy to use. And since it is a S&W she knows it is reliable.

Flash forward:
She takes it to tactical shoots and IDPA matchs. Just puts a full size M&P9 mag into it with the http://x-grips.com/products/sw.html
She qualified with it for her CPL class. Now she Open Carries with it in her Blackhawk Serpa, or Conceals with it in her Crossbread Super Tuck. Fits her well.

#17 ·
If you go with the M&P, I highly recommend the DCAEK.

#19 ·
Thanks for all the advice. We actually went to the range this afternoon. She was able to shoot the Glock 19 and the XDm compact.....the M&P wasn't available. As of now, she really likes the XDm alot, but still needs to shoot the M&P, then we'll go from there. Doesn't matter to me which one she chooses, all quality weapons as far as I'm concerned. Love to buy all 3 of them, though, but for now, can only get one.

#21 ·
Do we dare ask which you prefer? I am leaning toward the Springfield, partially because I prefer the grip safety over the manual safety. But the Springfield also seems to fit my hand a bit better too. Havent shot either yet though. I have to see if the local range(s) have them for rent...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.