Wife's new gun....

Wife's new gun....

This is a discussion on Wife's new gun.... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking at getting my wife a 9mm. She knows she wants a 9mm, just not sure which one. She doesn't want anything bigger or smaller. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Wife's new gun....

Wife's new gun....

Looking at getting my wife a 9mm. She knows she wants a 9mm, just not sure which one. She doesn't want anything bigger or smaller. We do have it narrowed down to 3 of them.....Glock 19, Springfield XDm Compact, Smith and Wesson M&P compact. She can't decide, likes all of them. We are just researching the quality (I love Glocks...have 2 of them myself) and reliability. Any thoughts?

I really like my M&Pc - We bought my wife a CZ Rami 2075 BD in 9mm. I like it better than the M&P9c. It may be a few bucks more, a bit harder to find/get (so worth the wait) and accessories are limited but WOW! What a shooter! Not a hiccup in over 500 rds, TIGHT groups, fits M&Pc holsters as if made for them.

CZ-USA -> CZ 2075 RAMI BD

Bear in mind there is the Rami, the Rami P, and the Rami BD.
    (I would not consider any but the BD which is part of why it will be harder to get since they tend to be made to order)
    Rami - Light Alloy with Safety
    Rami P - Polymer with Safety
    Rami BD - Light Alloy with Built-in Decocker and night sights standard
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Having shot both the G19 and XDm, I'd recommend the Springfield. I felt the recoil (I know 9mm is already minimal) from the XDm was less than that from the G19. I know the Glock guys are gonna hammer me but I'm speaking from my experience. Good luck!

-------------------
    "I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop! " ~Bob Mayne
    NRA MEMBER
    EDC: Beretta Nano

sgb
    The Mrs, the niece, the step daughter and a nephew all went with the M&P 9c. The step son decided on a M&P 9.
    Spec and C hawk Glock like this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Another vote for the M&P 9c from me.. Got mine on now. Had to go downtown to the office for a few hours this am but didn't want to load up with my normal two gun carry setup. Feel as good about one M&P as I do/would with two of just about any other flavor.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

I have to vote M&P / quality weapons that you have it narrowed down to in any event, so if she could possible shoot all at a range, let her decide.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

They are all good but Glock set the standard.

Distinguished Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cuckoo429 View Post
    Looking at getting my wife a 9mm. She knows she wants a 9mm, just not sure which one. She doesn't want anything bigger or smaller. We do have it narrowed down to 3 of them.....Glock 19, Springfield XDm Compact, Smith and Wesson M&P compact. She can't decide, likes all of them. We are just researching the quality (I love Glocks...have 2 of them myself) and reliability. Any thoughts?
    let her pic her own gun out.......stay out of it IMO.....My wife picked an SR9c.......great choice but she also likes
    my PCR and my 39-2....she hated my glock as well as the M&P40 I used to own

Go figure

I'm biased towards Glocks. But honestly, you should let her rent and shoot all three. Let her make the decision. She'll probably like the feel of the M&P the best as it is very ergonomic.
    Spec likes this.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

I have the Glock 19 Gen 4 and love it. If she has small hands, it may be the best bet. I have shot the XDm several times and really like it too, especially its accuracy. I have heard many people say they like the M&P, but have never shot one. My advice would be to go to a range where you can rent all three and pick it that way. Good luck.

VIP Member
    Any of the guns mentioned will serve her well. Let her decide which one.
    gunsnroses likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Any of the 3 are GREAT choices. The M&P fit ME the best. It's ergo's seem to be made for me. It also doesn't hurt that it's the only one made in the US.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    The Mrs, the niece, the step daughter and a nephew all went with the M&P 9c. The step son decided on a M&P 9.
    sounds like my family/friends: dad, uncle, and girlfriend has M&P9c, my boss has the M&P40c, my manager has the M&P9, I have the M&P40, and my brother will be gettting his M&P40c soon also.... we all love these guns.... you can't go wrong with the M&P
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    I just thought I'd share from another post about how my GF decided to pick as what she says "the best gun for me".

girlfriend=(GF)

Background on the GF:
    5'3" 115 pounds (shhhh don't tell her I told you!)
    She grew up on the fence about firearms. Never held one, or shot one until she met me 5 Years ago. She took to shooting as a "mans" sport, and took some time to get used to. Although she tried to come off as not enjoying shooting, she slipped after a trip to the range and told me she actually likes to go with me and shooting. I already had a handgun and we tossed around the idea of her getting one. (Baby steps into getting her to carry)

What Gun:
    Now to actually go out and find what she wanted. I know from experience that just holding the gun doesn't compare to shooting it. So over the course of a few months, she got to shoot the following:
    S&W model 19-2 Snubbie .357mag
    Taurus 85 .38 Snubbie
    XD9 Sub-compact 9mm
    S&W Model 36 .38 snubbie
    S&W Airweight .38 snubbie
    Khar CW9 9mm
    M&P40 .40S&W
    M&P9c Compact 9mm
    Glock 26 9mm

Thinking:
    After a few years of shooting my handgun and my dad's/uncles/friends collections she sat down with me and went through a check list of what her gun had to be capable of doing. She not only just went to the range with me, but we went to tactical shoots as well. The major question she had to answer was Revolver or Semi? She really had her eye set on the "Lady Smith" .357mag/.38spl from S&W.

At this point she warmed up to the idea that she will be carrying this gun sooner or later. She also still wanted to come with me on tactical shoots (moving, finding cover, running, reloading etc.) and said that a revolver is not something she enjoyed using for tactical shoots because she felt like she spent more time reloading it than shooting it,even with a speed reloader. She liked when she used my semi how fast she could put a mag in and keep going.

She also didn't like the felt recoil of the light revolvers, especial the Airweight J-Frame. She said she would carry it but not shoot it alot. Which she knew was a problem, because she likes to practice and feel comfortable with what see carries.

revolver:
    Pros-Light weight, easy to conceal
    Cons-recoil, low round count, slow reload time.

Revolver or Semi?
    answer was Semi

Her Check list:
    1)reliable
    2)fits hands, feels good (very important due to small hands)
    3)Smallish (will carry it concealed someday)
    4)more than 5-6 rounds (wants to shoot in competitions)
    5)easy to use (no safety, didn't want to have to click it off under stressful situations.)
    6)not bigger than a .40S$W round. Doesn't want alot of recoil.

Closing In:
    We then took the top two choices in handguns from her view. The M&P9c and the Glock 26. She shot both side by side. Like both as far as accuracy goes, liked the "dot in box" sights on the Glock better. When it came down to it. She picked the M&P9c as the winner.

Felt less "blocky" in hand. Natural point of aim. Good round count. 9mm not alot of recoil. Small enough to conceal. Easy to use. And since it is a S&W she knows it is reliable.

Flash forward:
    She takes it to tactical shoots and IDPA matchs. Just puts a full size M&P9 mag into it with the http://x-grips.com/products/sw.html
    She qualified with it for her CPL class. Now she Open Carries with it in her Blackhawk Serpa, or Conceals with it in her Crossbread Super Tuck. Fits her well.
    oneshot likes this.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

The Glock-19 is a good choice, has she held the '26'?
    gunsnroses likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links